cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is it normal to fill up the grey water tank this fast?

imq707s
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Zinger 19rds travel trailer with a 30gal grey water tank. We usually do short weekend trips with it, but we recently took it out for an entire week. With no showers, and only washing hands and dishes for two adults.....we were filling up the tank every two days...

Is that normal? I can't imagine we are using that much water!!
32 REPLIES 32

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen people fill a 30 gallon grey in a few days. Personally DW and I have often gone 10 days and just barely used 30 gallon grey and half filled the 30 gallon black tank. We can go about 6 days before filling the 35 gallon fresh tank.

We do showers every other day, dishes once/day or even less often if we are careful.

but if your not carefull, well tanks fill up fast
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
JFHenne wrote:
Nobody has mentioned the possibility that it is the tank sensor at fault and that the tank is not really full.

Yes I did. Back about post 4.

And I know that some people will find this idea repugnant but.....is really is not necessary to take a shower every day. Really.

It hasn't been that long ago that we didn't have running water at home and took a bath only once or twice a week.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

JFHenne
Explorer
Explorer
Nobody has mentioned the possibility that it is the tank sensor at fault and that the tank is not really full. It happens to me all the time.

With the gray tank I don't worry about overfilling. If it should over fill it will come up in the bathtub harmlessly. I've stopped worrying about it.

When I do drain the tank I leave it open for a looooong time. Sensor still says 2/3 full. I have a backflush elbow on the drain but that doesn't clear the sensors.
The Hennes - John & Robin
Jayco Jay Feather 25Z

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
Our tank fills in a day, 2 showers, dishes etc. We just leave our tank valve open and we are good to go. Close it the night before we leave and we are ready to dump before we leave. 30 gallons is common but small in reality but having a small tank helps them advertise lighter trailers.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 31 gal tank on our 2014 Bullet 285RLS and yes, it is full in 3 days.. showers, face washing, teeth brushing add up fast,even with just 2 adults.. and we use disposable paper plates so not much goes into dish washing.. but 3 days is about max on a 31 gal gray water tank. We can get a week out of the same size black tank.
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
deleted

Bobbyg2013
Explorer
Explorer
if you are relying on the "idiot lights" on the panel, don't. they are historically a very poor indicator of fluid levels. trial and error is your best indicator.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
imq707s wrote:
It constantly shows empty for both the grey and black water tanks. Is it common for them to stop working? I don't want to have to rely on water backing up into the tub to tell that the grey tank is full.

Checking actual capacity using a container of known volume is a good idea.

So you are saying you only know when the grey tank is full simply when the tub backs up? Sensors should not stop working, but they RARELY read correctly.

Does the Zinger have an enclosed underbelly? Doesn't look like it from the manufacturer's website.

If you can get to the tanks, check the wires between the indicator panel and tanks sensors. Pull the indicator panel off the wall and disconnect the wires that come from the sensors. (Mark them so they go back on in the right spots). Use some alligator clips (or use a small clamp and short out all wires at the tank sensor and use an ohmmeter to see if there is continuity between all 4 wires. If there is no continuity you'll need to find out why and repair or replace. The wire is very small gauge and easily damaged. One wire/sensor is a common and a bad connection in that wire can cause all 3 level LEDs to stop working.

If the continuity test is okay then the LED display panel is faulty.

A sensor wiring diagram is below. The 2nd photo shows a standard "button" sensor/probe. If you can see the tank, check to see if the sensors are mounted at the correct heights - see diagram below.

KIB has a troubleshooting guide here.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
imq707s wrote:
Does anyone know...
Start a new thread. This one is about a different issue.

imq707s
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know how i can get the gauge on my tank working? It constantly shows empty for both the grey and black water tanks. The fresh water sensor works though......i think I could meter the usage better if i could keep an eye on the levels.

Is it common for them to stop working? I don't want to have to rely on water backing up into the tub to tell that the grey tank is full.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:
Durb wrote:
My wife lets the water run rinsing vegetables, cleaning dishes, brushing teeth and showering. I ask her not to do it, she does it anyhow. She can fill a 62 gallon grey tank in 2 days. Pretty much relegates us to full service sites only. Oh well, we've found plenty we like. By the way, the grey tank never festers because it is being flushed so often.

Every one learns in different styles! From now on your wife is responsible to empty the tanks and/or hook up and drive the RV over to the dump site or call the local "honey wagon" business to come out to empty the tanks that she fills up AND she pays out of her checking account:):)

P.S. Buy a new foam mattress for your couch and it will be well worth the cost:):):)

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
My wife lets the water run rinsing vegetables, cleaning dishes, brushing teeth and showering. I ask her not to do it, she does it anyhow. She can fill a 62 gallon grey tank in 2 days. Pretty much relegates us to full service sites only. Oh well, we've found plenty we like. By the way, the grey tank never festers because it is being flushed so often.

Every one learns in different styles! From now on your wife is responsible to empty the tanks and/or hook up and drive the RV over to the dump site or call the local "honey wagon" business to come out to empty the tanks that she fills up AND she pays out of her checking account:):)

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
My wife lets the water run rinsing vegetables, cleaning dishes, brushing teeth and showering. I ask her not to do it, she does it anyhow.
You need to get her to put on the gloves and do dump duty a few times. That will fix that.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer