cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is it an RV or Tent????

Wheeldog
Explorer
Explorer
I see some campgrounds have a no tent policy. I just bought a Time Out pop up camper trailer to tow behind my motorcycle. Will non tent RV parks let me stay there???? Is it considered a tent or RV??????:h
14 REPLIES 14

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting, Ryanincc. Still not a place I would likely WANT to visit in the first place.

The only thing that has me drawn to an RV park would be something in Orlando. And that would NOT be *my* choice of housing regardless of the RV park's amenities.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

Ryanincc
Explorer
Explorer
Ive only seen one RV park, actually, I think it was an RV resort that had, in big red letters on its webpage "NO CANVAS". I could only wonder if that meant hybrids as well. They have vinyl only, correct? I thought it was odd more than hooty-flooty snobbery, but I am under the impression most of the sites in that park are individually owned,
2011 Coleman Sun Valley, 1997 4Runner V6

JLTN_James
Explorer
Explorer
Does the pop-up have highway wheels and a state issued license plate? Then it is NOT a tent.

I have not been denied because my RV is a pop-up, however I have skipped on some "RV Parks" because they didn't provide bathrooms. Not having a toilet in the pop-up kind of makes that a necessity.

I've stayed at several campgroungs with "RV Park" in the name. I pass on the "RV Resorts".
2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 (V8, 4WD, TP, TRD)
2005 Fleetwod Allegance with axle flip
Honeywell 2000i Generator

Me, DW, DS, DD, & Chicken-Dog

janl
Explorer
Explorer
I was asked if my pop-up had a kitchen and bathroom (It doesn't...I wanted minimum maintenance). I say "self contained" meaning I have a camping potty and use 5-gallon bucket to tote gray water to the dumping station. Maybe they need to be more specific!

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
Only three times have I stayed at a place that qualifies as an "RV park" and that was only due to necessity. My preference is the hard to get into places that have lots of scenery, visual breaks between campsites and a half-decent hike to the pit toilet. But that's just me.

And mine is an RV with vinyl slide outs. It has practically nothing in amenities that resembles a tent.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
Situation is easy to avoid. Simply skip from consideration, any place with a name that includes "RV Park."
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I alway thought it was no tents because they did not want the grass mashed where the tent was set, and tenters do not like pitching on gravel.

I never thought about the gray water
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Wheeldog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info......guess I need to call ahead and find out.

lfloom
Explorer
Explorer
I had canvas PUPs for 13 years. I only once found an RV park that would not take a tent camper (and a few that would only take Class As)

b2220128
Explorer
Explorer
Even "self-contained" is a bit vague. I have camped at "self-contained" campgrounds that were perfectly OK with an external grey water container. Other might not be. But it seems to mean that there will be no need for outdoor dish washing. A reasonable precaution at most crowded RV campgrounds.
Tom

Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
We towed a Timeout for years and only once were we denied. I always told the office it was a pop-up camper when making the reservation. The park that denied us asked if it was self contained, I think that was what did it!!

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
In RI we go to a state park that has a section that says "no canvas" but they do have a section for anything and a section for tents only.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't be surprised if you get asked if it is "self contained or not".

I think that is the dividing line on tents and rv's. And when making reservations I would tell them, so no surprises when you get there.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Tents are set up on the grass. Rv's stay in the parking area, and even if they have a expanding area with a canvas section, then it is a RV, not a tent.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com