cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is ForestRiver nuts or what? (Single axel Vibe)

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Friends bought this 20 footer, V nose Vibe. With a full sized pickup they are scared towing it as it sways and whips…unless they first fill the black tank, which is in the front where the bathroom is.
This isn’t the first time I have run into this with my trailer repair business.
When dry a 5 year old boy can lift the hitch!! There is only about 7 pounds of weight on it.

My proposal to fix it is to move the axel back about 2 feet.

How do they get away with building like this.
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek
15 REPLIES 15

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Beat me to it. Thx to huntindog for finding an informational link. What’s in the “large pass thru storage” in the aft end?
Yes campers can be designed to end up with less than optimum weight distribution fore to aft. And the opportunity to load up the tail end of an especially a single axle is a recipe for potential issues.
Like the exact opposite in our toyhauler and most all toyhaulers. Designed to load the aft end heavy (with toys) and no opportunity to really shift moveabke weight aft if not for the toys, they’re designed very nose heavy and the bulk of the storage (wardrobes, under bed and pass thru) are all at the very front. Makes for VERY stable towing if one can handle the tongue weight appropriately. And the polar opposite, literally, of the TT in question.
Maybe the mother in law could ride on the commode during road trips? Lol. That would add about 269 lbs of tongue weight in my situation! Hahaha
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
According to the specs it comes with a TW near 10% so it should to fine empty. As mentioned it sounds like the owner is not loading it correctly.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Thanks for the posts ivbinconned and Huntindog that's a huge rear storage area for such a small trailer.

My guess is they just have too much heavy stuff in the rear lightening to tongue load. But moving the rear axle a full 2 feet seems a bit drastic and might even bend the light frame because of the leverage.

If you're going to attempt a one off repair customized to the owners current load I would get the actual loaded weight as it sits. Then using a jack and jack stands move the pivot point back until you achieve a 13% tongue load. You might find a change of as little of 6 inches gives you the weight you want.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with you grit that sway control should not ever be needed with a single axel.
However FR did make this one with the bath in the nose. I was in it. Perhaps it was a short lived floor plan for good reason.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
V nose Vibe

Google is your friend. I have seen those off and on over the years. They can get a little more interior room by using the toungue area. I do not think they ever sold many though.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ok great, it’s a vee nose. You’re right. Now since you’re sure the axle needs relocated maybe first come to your senses and use that great deductive process to figure out where the load of pet rocks is stashed in the back of the camper.
I can all but guarantee that there’s no TT produced with a 7lb tongue weight… but it’s fun to read these stories…

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
opnspaces wrote:
Can you post a link for the vibe in question I'm curious to see what you're talking about. When I search Forest River Vibe I see a standard travel trailer with no V nose in 19 and 22ft length.

^This. There’s some major confusion or magic happening I think.
Furthermore, unless FR has older models that are V nose (quite rare for ANY trailer marketed as a TT, especially run of the mill conventional TTs like the Vibe) they sure don’t have anything that remotely fits the bill now and they’re all rear bath so the black tank wouldn’t ever be up front.
This is a pics or it didn’t happen type of thread.
Not to mention knowing or addressing how the trailer is actually loaded.
Good chance inexperience is coming into play in a big way on both the owners and the OPs part, as anyone who’d put a wdh and sway on a little single axle trailer behind any normal sort of full size pickup really doesn’t have any appreciable towing experience. (Even if it was after the fact to band-aid the supposed 7 lb tongue weight.

Can def help though with some pics and accurate info.
But to answer a question with a question, how could they even end up buying a traielr with no tongue weight? Thing would flop down on the back bumper nose in the air when the first person walked inside it and stepped behind the centerline of axle…

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Can you post a link for the vibe in question I'm curious to see what you're talking about. When I search Forest River Vibe I see a standard travel trailer with no V nose in 19 and 22ft length.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
What's loaded in it and where?

With a small lightweight trailer, a few hundred pound loaded in the back can reduce the hitch weight substantially.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes they have the sway control set up.
And because it has the “V” nose there is no room on the hitch to add anything.
Because the fender and wheels are outside of the wall I think we will just move the axel back.
FR most think people are going to pull this junk with a Honda Civic.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
ivbinconned wrote:

How do they get away with building like this.

Because people keep buying the same old garbage.

Are they even using any kind of hitch with sway control?

But most likely, they need to add tongue weight.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Add a bike hitch over the battery and add a 2nd battery.

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
They plan on people knowing enough to use the front end of the trailer to store clothes and equipment so the 10 tp 15 percent tongue weight is achieved. Maybe these folks have the back loaded up causing a light tongue. Maybe they need to explore sway control too once the tongue weight is sorted out.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member