cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

In Camper Cooking - smells?

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Part of me wants to start cooking inside, using the stove, but a bigger part is saying "Whoa Mann, what about the lingering odors in the camper?"

So my question is, have you cooked, and I mean not just boiling water, but like Pan Fried steak/hamburger/bacon/chicken things with the usual onions/garlic (sm amts)/ and other things that you would normally do in a home. I don't do fish, so that part is not a problem.

I have, and luv to cook, outdoors, have had the Camp Chef stoves, all 3 of them and now have the newer, non rusted, 2 burner, plus a converted Dive Tank for small quick stuff.

I want to start gearing up for inside cooking but, as noted, don't want the camper smelling like, oh, I dunno, a grease pit?

I have the screen splatter to keep grease at a minimum... I have a hood fan if I remember to open up the outside vent.
I did cook bacon and an omelette and seemed to do ok, but, before I go all in, just wanted to check.
Or if you just spray with something to deodorize the place, what works best...

Thanking you in advance....

(and yes, I tried search for "'truck camper cooking' didn't turn up much other than 'yes I do' or 'no I don't' and my question is about sustaining smells)

Heheh, but not planning on cooking like this.. in house...
Well, maybe?? I means, seriously, what's the vent fan for anyways, (just joking here)

fun..
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website
38 REPLIES 38

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
I cook inside the camper or use an outside grill about the same frequency I do at home. The only thing I do different in the camper is if I'm in known bear country I keep the indoor cooking as low odor as possible. Eggs but no bacon for example.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:
Saw a cooking show that demonstrated how to get the best flat crisp bacon. I tried it and it works, and eliminates cleaning up a greasy griddle or pan in the RV either.

Frying pan with a small amount of water in it nothing else. Place bacon in and cook till water gone and bacon crisp, flat and no shrinkage!

And more importantly no splatters in the RV.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/features/8412-youll-never-believe-how-we-make-perfect-bacon?extcode...

You clean up a greasy griddle by frying flapjacks in the left behind fat, then its just a matter of wiping out any trace with some paper towels and giving it a quick hot water and soap wash :).

Splatters are not so much an issue as with my KIT, I installed a metal back splash all around the stove. Any over spray cleaned up quickly with a little all surface windex and a wet rag.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Saw a cooking show that demonstrated how to get the best flat crisp bacon. I tried it and it works, and eliminates cleaning up a greasy griddle or pan in the RV either.

Frying pan with a small amount of water in it nothing else. Place bacon in and cook till water gone and bacon crisp, flat and no shrinkage!

And more importantly no splatters in the RV.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/features/8412-youll-never-believe-how-we-make-perfect-bacon?extcode...

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Strabo wrote:
bighatnohorse wrote:
We cook inside the camper - carefully. No spattery type foods though.
Bacon: use pre-cooked in the microwave.

Pre cooked bacon....Eewww

Hey! Them there's fightin' words.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse wrote:

Pre cooked bacon....Eewww
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

DOITHARD
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
I cook anything and everything in my TC: Pan Blackened Salmon, Steaks, bacon, trout and the list goes on. I have the range fan on and the Fantastic fan on and the window over the sink next to the range open. Post cooking there is this new miracle invention called 409 and paper towels to wipe down the range and back splash.

I find having to set up a table and outside grill then clean and pack it away to be more of pain than its worth most of the time.

That's funny...:S
'12 F450 6.7L, 4x4 Crewcab Longbed Airlift 5000 Stableload Reese 48" ext Torklift Fastguns Blistein 4600 Bigwig Rear Sway Bar.
'16 Lance 1172 Loaded
'16 Haulmark Vnose 20
'12 Range Rover Sport
Honda Rincon 03'
Pol 02' TB 250
Kids: 4,8, 9 & twins 28
Patient wife

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Did you know that for the vent hood fan the fully effective, the inside lever on the stove hoods needs to be opened too? If left closed, it restricts air flow.
Bob

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Vinsil wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
You have to take a good look at the exhaust fan in the RV. Some exhaust outside and many do not.

Many exhaust fans above the stove in the newer RV's do NOT vent outside. It's nothing more than a fan with a filter. I know I was pretty shocked to see that but it was most likely done to keep manufacturing costs down. :R

Wait..what? All of my RV's have had fans that exhaust outside...what do you have? I've never seen that before.

No, not all RV's exhaust outside. If the RV does not have an open vent on the side of the RV near where the stove sits, you have an exhaust fan with only a filter. The vent slants down with a flapper inside.

I have a 'vented' exhaust. When some of my RV'ing buddies started complaining about the odors and smoke inside when they cooked all of them had non vented exhaust fans. You see it a lot in the newer MH's.

And btw if you have bought a used MH 'check' the exhaust vent!! Many people stick foam in them to keep the flapper from making noise. I know because that is what I did to my first one.:W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

blueglide
Explorer
Explorer
Grilling burgers last year outside in Sault St Marie when it started raining....brought the grill in side and finished the burgers....yes...I had door and windows open so as not to kill myself with carbon monoxide. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Smoked myself silly inside the camper but aired it out and all was good. Enjoyed burgers....no residual odors. Walk inside it after it has been closed up for a few days it still smells brand new. BTW.....would not advise grilling inside TC! :B
2017 Ford F450 XLT CC 6.7 4X4 Dually
2017 Arctic Fox 32-5m Fifth Wheel

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
if it smells, that just means you're not cooking enough bacon ;).
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
I cook in mine all the time. Vent fans are wonderful tools. I see it as a non issue.

Cooked in ours for 3 years, use vent fan over stove/oven. I made my wife and i wonderfull breakfasts, lunch and dinners, wish i had more counter space to prep was all.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
We cook all kinds of stuff inside and smells don't linger any longer than at home. Just use plenty of ventilation. Full timers cook onside all year long with no problems.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1
Heheh, well, you just convinced me, all is good, on the last post with the pictures...

Thanks much, let the cooking begin...
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website