cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I've almost got this towing thing down. One more ?

SlothHorn
Explorer
Explorer
I know that dry weight is the weight off the assembly line.
I know that GVWR is a better # to look at because it takes everything, that has weight/mass, into account.

What weights are generally added between the assembly line and the RV lot? I guess I'm asking, what would I need to account for before I add my own stuff. I'm assuming the frame of the bed would be accounted for, but the mattress, for example, would be additional on top of the dry.

I had started a thread a few weeks ago in which the general consensus was that my truck could safely pull anywhere from 6,500 - 7,500 completely loaded. Wife and I found several RVs that we liked that had dry weights well within range but the GVWR was pushing it. We made a list of every, single thing we thought we might be adding to the weight and aren't coming anywhere near the GVWR on our end; however, I need to make sure I account for any weight added post-assembly / pre-us.

For reference, here's the #'s I got from my original thread...

1,650:
-subtract driver and passenger weight (we'll say 400 for this example, you adjust).
-Subtract weight of the WD hitch (app. 100 pounds)
-Subtract weight of all gear, snacks, games, beverages in the cab (we'll say 50 pounds)
-Subtract tools, bikes, wood, grills, etc. in the bed (we'll say 100 pounds).

This would leave you with 1,000 pounds available for tongue weight. Assuming your hitch is rated to handle that tongue weight, you could handle somewhere around 7,500 pounds LOADED. I would suggest, based on that, you'd need to be looking at something under 6,500 pounds dry, if not closer to 6,000 even.
22 REPLIES 22

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
SlothHorn wrote:
Note: We're never going to travel with water in the tanks. We're not using a generator. And, we're only going to need, maybe, one propane tank. That seems to be a big chunk of what begins to add up for many campers.
Other than clothes, food, blankets, pillows, and, maybe, bicycles, we don't expect to add much else in the way of weight.

You forgot about plates, cups, bowls, towels, wash cloths, toilet paper, soap, dish soap, anti-bacterial spray to clean counters, a broom, pots and pans, air compressor if you need to air up a tire, tools for when something needs to be repaired, the hitch and all its parts, and literally dozens of other things. This is all going to add up to hundreds of extra pounds.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Most trailers come with 2 propane tanks; either 20 pound or 30 pound so you need to figure 40 to 60 pounds of propane. I wouldn't drop back to one tank. The nice thing about two is that when one gets empty the regulator automatically switches to the other tank and turns the marker red so you know to get the empty one refilled or swapped out. If you only have one tank when you run out you're just out.
You'll have to get a battery which is about 60 pounds for a little group 24 and can go up from there.
I always kept some water in the tanks for using the toilet or washing hands along our travels. We would often stop at an attraction and eat lunch in the RV in the parking lot before going in. It was nice to have the water for that. Also, campground water is almost always chlorinated which is disgusting to drink. We carried our well water from home in the tank for drinking.
Unless you're going to pull the plug out of your water heater and drain it each time you'll at least be carrying 6 gallons in there, that's another 50 pounds.
You may just have to ask the dealer what they may have added. Awnings are some times dealer added. Maybe a second air conditioner or a couple TVs.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
SlothHorn wrote:
Note: We're never going to travel with water in the tanks. We're not using a generator. And, we're only going to need, maybe, one propane tank. That seems to be a big chunk of what begins to add up for many campers.
Other than clothes, food, blankets, pillows, and, maybe, bicycles, we don't expect to add much else in the way of weight.

Never might be a little unrealistic.

You may find it much more convenient to carry water in your fresh tank, just for using your own bathroom while on the road. That would also involve putting weight in grey, and black tanks.

You may be out camping in a campground during a time when they have issues with their sewer systems (backups, broken pipes, etc), and won't let you dump your tanks (been there, done that). That leaves you no choice but to tow with tanks full.

Maybe you'd like to go camping in cooler weather. That time of year, there are campgrounds who won't offer water or sewer hook ups. You'd also need multiple propane tanks.

The weight adds up really fast. Average load of dishes, pots and pans, flatware, bedding, camp chairs, BBQ supplies / equipment, spare parts, tools, groceries, water, etc, is 800 to 1000 lbs.

Depending on location (in relation to the trailer axles), holding tanks can have a significant impact on your tongue weight. My trailer, for example, has fresh tank behind the axles, black and grey tank above the axles, and a galley (grey) tank, all the way up front. My tongue weight is lowest (975 lbs) when my fresh tank is full, and it is highest (1225 lbs) with no fresh water and a full galley tank. This kind of fluctuation in tongue weight would not be good if you are already on the edge of your payload.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I would rethink buying a trailer that is not usable for its intended purpose.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use the GVWR and 12& for wet tongue wet.....if that exceeds your trucks capacity then too much trailer

as a side note....traveling W/O fresh water IMHO is NOT a good idea
What if you can't get water at/near distination....bad water/water line broken, no water available for numerous reasons.

We always travel with FULL fresh water tank

Trucks towing capability should be able to handle the weight of water, propane etc PLUS your stuff.
If NOT...too much trailer/too little of truck

Besides.....with properly matched truck/trailer weights towing is more enjoyable so more camping trips are done!!!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œSubtract tools, bikes, wood, grills, etc. in the bed (we'll say 100 pounds).โ€

Unless you are a dedicated cyclist with expensive bicycles, burn balsa wood and use plastic tools, itโ€™s more likely 200 pounds. Why are you skating on the edge of overloading? No fun to be at max anything.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
You can start out weighing every ounce but you will slowly add things; a little water to flush while traveling, for example. It would be best to have either the trailer that your truck can handle with all the stuff you want/need or have a truck that can handle the RV and weight of any stuff you want. If you have to count pounds you are probably already in trouble of a comfortable and safe towing experience.

SlothHorn
Explorer
Explorer