Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I never knew these existed...

2003silverado
Explorer II
Explorer II
Link

I have never seen a vehicle with dual wheels on the front.

It's going on auction January 13 via Barret Jackson and the proceeds will benefit the Armed Forces Foundation. It last sold for 4.4 million.
16 REPLIES 16

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
did you see the video where they had one going through the quarter mile in 41 secs and 28 mph top end. 140 horse power back then. can't figure out why it weights so much, the center is hollow

2003silverado
Explorer II
Explorer II
According to wikipedia they were built in 1939 with a 4 cylinder diesel but when overhauled in 1953 they were converted to a 302ci gas engine and automatic transmission.

Interesting chain of events

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, pretty cool rig. Looks like something out of the animated movie "Despicable Me." Yes, I have small kids.

They have dual front axle buses in South America where they do a lot of bus travel. Big Mercedes and Volvo buses that cruise at very high speeds and risk very deadly front tire blowouts. Nice way to travel.
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
They'd figure it out just like you figured out how to use computers, GPS, radio, television, CB's, etc. Just because they're young doesn't mean they're stupid.

"Smarter" in some new areas..."dumber" in other areas

My 12 years in SunLabs had us 'old' guys reviewing that current crop
of summer interns on whether we wanted them back next year, or offer
them a job

Smart in that they would pass any written exam +100% but failed in
common sense. Actually dangerous in the lab with some pretty wacky
designs so out it

We coined them 'Green light, Red light designers'. If the simulation
came back with no vectors...Green light and done. Red light...they'd
fix all of the vectors, reran the simulatiuon and then say they were done

No clue on things out in the real world, or seemingly clueless.

Not all...the good ones we all liked/loved had spent time out in the
real world falling out of trees, playing with dangerous things. Another
term that fits..."we've gone too far from the farm"

Car pooled with one we hired. A cryptologist (math and language major)

Scared the heck out of me and was the last time I rode with her.

She dived into the braking space of a double trailer semi...the nailed
her brakes to make the off ramp. The semi blew his air horns

Asked her about that and she just said that is why they have brakes...not
understanding the laws of physics behind all of that
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
NinerBikes wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
cyntdon2010 wrote:
1940's There was no power steering back then..

the driver had to be strong

It's not as bad as you might think. They used larger diameter steering wheels to give better leverage and they geared it down.

Also, if you've ever driven truck without power steering, the trick is to get it rolling before starting to turn the wheel. As long as there is some movement, the force needed to turn the wheel is drastically less.

My first truck had manual steering and as long as I had room to get it rolling at all, I could easily palm the wheel.

Then again dual front tires doesn't change any of this.

If you want to see something cool, google dual steering axle truck. I came across them in brazil but I'm sure they are in other countries also. They have two front axles and each steers. My buddy who owns a gravel pit says they are less prone to getting stuck in soft conditions compared to standard dump trucks.

Common sense dictates that with or without power steering, you should always be rolling when attempting to turn the steering wheel. Americans have been dumbed down and become lazy with all the advancements that fail.

I'd hate to see younger people navigate if all the cell sites, and all the internet and GPS systems went down at once, in the event of a major catastrophe.

Not always possible in a tight parking parking spot.

I admit to getting lazy with power steering but hardly the downfall of society.

Not sure how internet and gps factors into the discussion.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
I remember back in the mid 50's, this show with the Futureliner vehicles came to Milwaukee and it was held at the lake front. Went with my Dad. I remember all of the vehicles had the sides open and showed different experiments or products at the time. I also thought that dual front wheels was interesting. I remember one experiment was with a large "top" that the man spun on a pipe that was expelling compressed air to stop friction. He said that it would spin for hours, but don't try filling your car crank case with compassed air yet.
Dr Quick

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sure would be dark in there with no windows. I guess the body lines didn't allow for windows.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

just_me
Explorer
Explorer
Kendigit designs did the retro, located in Salt Lake City. Took couple years to do the rebuild cause it was a mess when it was brought in, total refab build up from the frame. Sold at auction and then DONATED back to the armed services to put on tour. Every thing worked as when it was made in the forties.
95 Dodge CC #5 TST plate Flame Red/Silver
not totaly stock
2007 fiver
Tag Ma-haul has been suggested for a name but now The Shoe box

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Neither did I. Out of all of the pictures that I've seen of the Futurliner, I never realized that they had dual front wheels. Oddly, I'd rather have this design over most modern Class A's. But then again I'm a sucker for the cabover designs.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
They'd figure it out just like you figured out how to use computers, GPS, radio, television, CB's, etc. Just because they're young doesn't mean they're stupid.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
cyntdon2010 wrote:

It's not as bad as you might think. They used larger diameter steering wheels to give better leverage and they geared it down.

Also, if you've ever driven truck without power steering, the trick is to get it rolling before starting to turn the wheel. As long as there is some movement, the force needed to turn the wheel is drastically less.

My first truck had manual steering and as long as I had room to get it rolling at all, I could easily palm the wheel.

If you want to see something cool, google dual steering axle truck. I came across them in brazil but I'm sure they are in other countries also. They have two front axles and each steers. My buddy who owns a gravel pit says they are less prone to getting stuck in soft conditions compared to standard dump trucks.

Common sense dictates that with or without power steering, you should always be rolling when attempting to turn the steering wheel. Americans have been dumbed down and become lazy with all the advancements that fail.

I'd hate to see younger people navigate if all the cell sites, and all the internet and GPS systems went down at once, in the event of a major catastrophe.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
cyntdon2010 wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen pics of this before but, I didn't realize it had duals on the front.
They're cool rigs.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Did anyone see the restoration of the one in the show Bichin' (misspelled on purpose) Rides? Very interesting how it was done! Lots of great filming on the resto. Interesting it was powered by a gas straight 6 and halted by air brakes (the early ones that lost braking when you lost air pressure!), they upgraded it to newer style air brakes during the resto.

Here is a link to some video clips. Here is a link to some of the future liner videos. click on the video link. And then the video clips.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!