cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm looking for a replacement truck

bookmaker
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, first off, I don't want to start a brand war here, but would appreciate some input based on experience.

My TC hauler, a 1997 Ford F350 diesel dually suffered frame damaged by hurricane Michael. It may be repairable, but since I also have to replace my camper (with a likely heavier one), I am seriously considering a truck replacement as well.

First off, I cannot justify a new truck. Most use will haul the camper a few times a year then minimal use otherwise.

Looking through searches, I find the Optimum Diesel Truck is considered to be a Ford body, Cummings diesel and an Allison transmission. Obviously that doesn't exit.;)

That said, what should I definitely stay from? Pros and cons of the three majors Ford, GM, Chrysler. Specific years to look for or avoid and equipment to look for or avoid. What about diesel vs. gas?
Obviously I want a dually.

Thanks,

Dale
Dale & Rose Cavin, Marianna, FL
2004 Dodge Laramie dually , Cummins diesel
2010 Lance 1181
Previous:
2004 Lance 1121 (lost to hurricane Michael 10/10/18)
35 REPLIES 35

deserteagle56
Explorer II
Explorer II
bookmaker wrote:
Good info so far.

I have been leaning toward diesel for the torque, but am not opposed to gas if it carries well. Apparently some are pleased with their gassers. The gassers are definitely cheaper to purchase. And I suspect operating costs.

I've seen some of the diesel you tube videos and they don't instill a lot of confidence.

I appreciate the comments about the emissions control not liking to be idle. I didn't have to worry about that with the 7.3.

One issue I have as far as looking at units is I live in a pretty rural area and there isn't much within an hour or more drive. (Even worse looking for a replacement camper)

Continuing to gather info.

Thanks,

Dale

My best advice is - don't get in a hurry! Look around and you may be able to find a low mileage older diesel that has none of the emissions **** to worry about. I looked for nearly a year and ended up with a 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually with the 6 speed manual tranny and a pristine body - and it had only 53,000 miles on it. Great power AND great fuel mileage. They're out there - you just have to find them.
1996 Bigfoot 2500 9.5 on a 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually

deserteagle56
Explorer II
Explorer II
KD4UPL wrote:
You can get a Ford truck with a Cummins and an Allison, it's called a F-650 or F-750. To me it goes to show that Ford didn't trust their own products. They put their diesel and tranmission in the "little" F250 and F350 but when they built a "big" F-650 they used the same engine that's in a 2500 RAM and the same transmission (almost) that's in a 2500 Chevy.

I worked for years as a buyer for one of the world's largest mining company and had opportunity to spec out trucks like this. Ford offered Powerstroke, Cummins and Cat engines in these trucks along with different transmissions. It WAS NOT because they didn't trust their own drivetrains. The various combinations were offered to serve different uses of the trucks, as demanded by the market. An F750 that we intended to use as a service truck that would never leave mine property was spec'd differently than an F750 that would be taken over the road.
1996 Bigfoot 2500 9.5 on a 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Actually, since 2016, the 6.7 Ford Diesel has been the diesel choice in the F-650. Caterpillar was an option at introduction and Ford didn’t make a diesel when the F-650 was introduced.

Anyway, I got rid of my last Chevy in 2006. I was tired of poor brakes and interiors that wouldn’t hold up. Still haven’t been able to get by the RAM look and some years of the GM look. So, I’m driving a Ford.

I’ve had no reason to switch from Ford, but I’m hoping that the new RAM will look more like the 2019 1500s. Then, if I get a newer one in a few years, that will be an option.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
You can get a Ford truck with a Cummins and an Allison, it's called a F-650 or F-750. To me it goes to show that Ford didn't trust their own products. They put their diesel and tranmission in the "little" F250 and F350 but when they built a "big" F-650 they used the same engine that's in a 2500 RAM and the same transmission (almost) that's in a 2500 Chevy.
For just hauling a TC I would get a gas truck. I have diesel and it's great for towing a hauling heavy but you won't be doing that. The GM 8.1L was a great engine. I had one in an '01 Dually and really liked it; smooth, quiet, powerful. They stopped making them in '07. Otherwise any of the modern gas HD truck V8s seem to be pretty good. I have gotten excellent service from 5 Chevy work trucks over the last 16 years so I keep buying them. I have no reason to switch from a good thing.

bookmaker
Explorer
Explorer
Somewhat good news. I took my dually to the frame shop and they don't think the frame is bent. Rather they think the bed supporting structure is collapsed at the rear and stretched at the front. They will check the frame on the frame machine just in case. They believe they can get it back in good operating condition.

Even if I decide to replace it, that gives me something in the mean time if I find another camper and have to go get it.:)
2010 Lance 1181
Previous:

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
If you are only going to use it a few times a year and live in the flatlands you certainly don't need a diesel . A gaser will have more payload .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
If you are interested in gas, the last year for the 8.1 in the truck is 2007. Put up a search on Ebay and auto tempest for nationwide craigslist search. Might want to try a search on Facebook marketplace. I have an 8.1 in my MH. I always say if I had the 8.1 in my tow vehicle I would still have a TT.
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
To be honest all 1 ton trucks are basically all good trucks. But for me I just bought a new dually about 4 months ago and this is what I looked at.
With Ford I honestly don't trust their diesels after talking to several diesel mechanics and at around 65K I want something I feel is going to be reliable.
With Chevrolet I actually liked them the most but at the price tag of almost 68k and with little to no incentives or willingness to work on the price I looked further.
With Ram I found it fit my needs just as well as the others but at a lot lower price. I paid less than 48k including dealer added leather which was a lot less than the other 2. I have no regrets in my choice and I am more than pleased. I personally am not loyal to any manufacturer but I am loyal to keeping the remaining 13k in my pocket. Plus every mechanic I spoke with led me to the cummins and I am happy they did. Good luck on your new up coming purchase!!!!
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
If you do decide to go Ford, you can find their RV and Trailer Towing Guides - which include info on truck campers - here:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

Good info on options and weight capacities.

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a Ford F350 Dually with a 6.2L carrying an AF1150. Great engine. If you are not going to tow heavy this will easily get you everywhere you want to go as fast as you want to go. These engines have also been bullet proof. Heard good things about the Chevy 6.0 too.

bookmaker
Explorer
Explorer
Good info so far.

I have been leaning toward diesel for the torque, but am not opposed to gas if it carries well. Apparently some are pleased with their gassers. The gassers are definitely cheaper to purchase. And I suspect operating costs.

I've seen some of the diesel you tube videos and they don't instill a lot of confidence.

I appreciate the comments about the emissions control not liking to be idle. I didn't have to worry about that with the 7.3.

One issue I have as far as looking at units is I live in a pretty rural area and there isn't much within an hour or more drive. (Even worse looking for a replacement camper)

Continuing to gather info.

Thanks,

Dale
2010 Lance 1181
Previous:

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I was shopping for new truck 2 years ago.
Having owning Fords before, I steer into this brand, but I was checking Dodge also.
Point is that I could not find Dodge cheaper than Ford and they seem less popular on West coast, so not too many dealers to talk to.
Used truck at the end of warranty cost just few thousands less than new, so I ended up custom-building precisely what I want.
Found dealer in 100 miles radius who offered $6000 off MSRP, so avoiding costly options that I have no use for, my new truck come cheaper than used stuff on the market.
That said, the 440 HP diesel is a beast and I love 360 cameras, not even talking about live traffic on GPS.
MPG in my footnote and that is 95% loaded with 5000 lb camper, or 7000 lb cargo trailer.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
On the gasser side, if you’re going 1 ton or dually, your used options are limited as the vast majority of these trucks are diesel and a good portion of the gassers are fleet trucks.
That said, you can get a way nicer gas dually if you can find one you like, compared to a diesel for the same money. Resale is low onthese because they’re not popular.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Your question couldn’t be more vague. What about gas or diesel? What about it?? You want more power and better mileage at the chance of more expensive engine repairs or worse mileage, less power and generally simpler setup?
Do you value newer/less miles more than diesel power, for the same price?
What are you talking for budget? $5k or $50k or somewhere in between?

Are you good with deleting a diesel? Do you even know what that is?

In general, in the diesel world my “ok to buy” list is
98-07 Dodge, manual trans only
02-07 GM
99- early 03 Ford
2013/14-present Ram
2011-Present GM
2015-present Ford

But with any used vehicle, care , miles and condition is equally as important as the model.

In the “don’t buy “ years that aren’t mentioned above, I’d consider most others as well depending on my appetite for mods, deletes or fixing what the factory botched.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ford 6.2 gasser, 2011 or later. but I am biased.
Until 2016 it came with the same transmission that the 6.7 Diesel has.
Unless you really need or want a Diesel. Then, get one.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow