cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How well does the RAM 2500 6.4 Hemi tow?

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for a new truck to tow an 8000 lb travel trailer and I'm torn between the 2018 RAM 2500 6.4L Hemi and 6.7L Cummins diesel. All the reviews that that I've read show that diesel will tow better than the 6.4L, so surprise there. Unfortunately, all the tests that I've read are done with at least 12,500 lbs and I'm wondering how the 6.4L hemi would do only pulling 8000 lbs.

We plan upon doing a lot of traveling out west, so we'll be towing up and down a lot of steep grades and I was hoping to hear some real world towing experiences on how the 6.4L Hemi does does in that situation pulling 8000 lbs. Can it maintain it's speed up the hills and do you have to red-line the RPMs doing so? How does it do going down? Does the 4.10 rear axle do much better than the 3.73?

Thanks.
101 REPLIES 101

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bionic Man wrote:
twodownzero wrote:
Dave H M wrote:

I cold never maintain 70 mph up a 6% grade with the old diesel nor the 2012 6.2 Ford.

What were you pulling? I don't think I've ever shifted below direct gear on any grade at highway speed, and I have never been unable to maintain 70 mph.

Come to Colorado.

He must mean bobtail or empty. We all know that isn't the case once you hitch an anchor to the back bumper.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
VernDiesel wrote:
Get the coming 6.4 Hemi with 8 speed and 4.10. Consider the factory rear air ride as well. I have 500,000 miles (transporting TTs commercially) on a 14 Ecodiesel 3.92 and have towed 8k TTs many times. The transmission has never been repaired and still shifts quick and firm. But I have changed the fluid 5 times now. I would say consider the ED as you will use A LOT less fuel but IMO 8k is about the max practical load for a half ton platform to tow a TT.

Holy ****!

Totally changed my view and doubts about an ED!

Wills6_4_Hemi
Explorer
Explorer
Mine tows more than 8k very well. I would have got the 4:10 gears but finding a DRW 6.4 on the lot is difficult and the 1 I found had 3:73 gears. I am very happy. 26k miles so far and not a single problem.

VernDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
Get the coming 6.4 Hemi with 8 speed and 4.10. Consider the factory rear air ride as well. I have 500,000 miles (transporting TTs commercially) on a 14 Ecodiesel 3.92 and have towed 8k TTs many times. The transmission has never been repaired and still shifts quick and firm. But I have changed the fluid 5 times now. I would say consider the ED as you will use A LOT less fuel but IMO 8k is about the max practical load for a half ton platform to tow a TT.
Transportr TT & boats RAM EconoDiesel Factory TBC, Tow mirrors, Hitch camera, Axle to frame air bags, Tune w turbo brake, Max tow 9,200 CGAR 7,800 CVWR 15,950 axle weights 3,340 steer 2,260 drive Truck pushed head gasket at 371k has original trans at 500k

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:
Dave H M wrote:

I cold never maintain 70 mph up a 6% grade with the old diesel nor the 2012 6.2 Ford.

What were you pulling? I don't think I've ever shifted below direct gear on any grade at highway speed, and I have never been unable to maintain 70 mph.

Come to Colorado.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
The Hemi will do a great job with only 8000#. I towed 12k with mine and was very happy.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a thread on same subject several days ago.

Clicky here.

You can read my response based on towing the same fifth wheel with both a 6.4 and a CTD. The 6.4 with 4.10 tows real well and will do a fine job with 8,000 lbs. It will still not tow like a diesel. I'm retired and do a LOT of really short trips with only a few longer trips. That's not the best for modern diesels and their emissions systems. Also can't justify cost of diesel with how few miles per year I drive. Buy whichever truck works best based on the way YOU use the truck. Good luck.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eight thousand pounds is enough to really show the difference. Buy the diesel and don't look back.

Maintenance is not that different. I have a 2002 Ford that is going up in value.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
BubbaChris wrote:
One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread, if both trucks are 3/4 ton you'll lose a fair bit of payload in the CTD version because of the heavier engine (and supporting parts). Compare payload stickers between 2500 and 3500 versions of the CTD if you go the diesel route.

Best regards,
Chris

Only on paper or in your mind. Real world, payload capabilities are very close.
Please don't confuse beer brewer. He's already in a conundrum of epic proportions about the truck he might buy. I think we've been through most of the scenarios already.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Dave H M wrote:
Apparently you have not been visiting this forum regularly. Replys to your typical post are from diesel owners that can climb the highest mountain in high gear while the gas motor shifts all the way down to 2nd gear and is screaming.

It is not that way nymore with the modern day gassers.

If you cannot pull a long 6% grade and tke a fw minutes longer thn a diesel then you need a diesel.

My only thought is to make sure you get input from the folks pulling with the 6.4 Ram.

Umm, yeah it is. No magic bullet to replace torque. You obviously don't tow good size trailers over mountains! Might be 3rd gear now with more cogs to choose from, but grab a foot full of throttle to maintain speed up a 6% at any altitude at highway speeds and the tach will beat the speedo to the other side of the gauge.
Not saying it won't pull, but you gotta wind er up to do it.

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread, if both trucks are 3/4 ton you'll lose a fair bit of payload in the CTD version because of the heavier engine (and supporting parts). Compare payload stickers between 2500 and 3500 versions of the CTD if you go the diesel route.

Best regards,
Chris
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
You won't have any issues. I went gas (different flavor) because I just don't need a diesel. I only put 4000-5000 miles a year on my truck about 1/2 of that towing. I am enjoying the overall lower operating costs mile per mile than the diesels i have owned in the past. As for the downshifting and high RPM's going up hill.....that is exactly how they are designed. Won't hurt them one bit.
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD

smurfs_of_war
Explorer
Explorer
6.4L will tug that 8k all day long without drama. I run a 2500 6.4 with 3.73 and I wouldn't hesitate to hook that and go anywhere. I don't think I have ever encountered the "screaming gasser" syndrome so many report. 3500RPM up some grades, but that's just stretching her legs- has a nice growl at that range 🙂

Diesel here is $1.20/L. Gasoline is $0.96/L. I'll take the gasser all day long for the weights I tow. I'd love a diesel, they definitely do it better, but I like money more.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Me Again wrote:
Get a 2019 with more tranny gears. Chris

Agree with Chris,

For the size you are towing, 2019 6.4 with 8-speed would be great choice.

Jerry