cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of you winter camp? Suggestions for winter camping?

jseyfert3
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all,

We're a couple with no kids. Own a 2015 Rockwood Mini Lite 2305 we bought summer of last year. The problem with owning a boat and a camper is that we have no winter hobbies. Well, except if we go winter camping! It won't be crowded and we can try picking up snowshowing if there's enough snow.

So, the Rockwood is definitely made as a three season camper. That said, with the plywood/fiberglass/styrofoam sandwich they make it out of, it's quite well insulated. A space heater can keep up all on its own in the 40's. We've currently camped down to about 27 ยฐF at night or so. Biggest issue was condensation on the windows.

The DW's requirements were that we have full use of the onboard plumbing if we winter camp, so yesterday I just installed heating pads on all three tanks, waste pipe lines, and gate valves. Within the next couple weeks I'll go back to connect all the wiring and put heat wire on the freshwater line.

So, assume we have:
  • Insulation and/or window film to cut down on window condensation
  • Exterior plumbing protected by heaters
  • Dehumidifier to get rid of humidity and avoid wall/window condensation
  • DIY air/air heat exchanger like the one make by RickW on this forum in 2012 for fresh air
  • 30 amp electric service with a Honda 2200 as backup in case of power loss

What else should we consider for the camper, or suggestions for winter camping in general?
Formerly a 2015 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306, burned in a barn fire. Looking at replacements.
15 REPLIES 15

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Video: Tips for winter camping
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Condensation? No problem. It freezes on the windows, and then you wipe up the ice with a towel. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Actually, that sounds like a joke, but it is not. We have to wipe up the ice in the morning -- otherwise, it thaws and drips. Unpleasant.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I live near Baraboo, Wisconsin.
I use my TT for deer hunting. 3 of my daughters camp with me. We do not use the water system in the TT because the TT is not built for winter camping.

Will you have power where you are staying because the furnace will drain a battery overnight if it gets seriously cold. I recharge during the day with my generator for the next night. I keep the thermostat at about 45 to help the battery last the night.

Someone mentioned condensation. It is definitely a problem with 4 people and the thermostat set low.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
shum02 wrote:
CFerguson wrote:
Dehumidifier is a must imo. That's the only real way to cut down the condensation other than cranking up the heat.
Also, keep the slides in at night.

We always crack the vent in the bathroom. Been winter camping for over 10 years and never had inside condensation issues unless you try to keep the rig sealed up tight. It NEEDS to vent.

True dat. I considered pointing that out in my original post, but decided not to since RVs are notoriously leaky when it comes to air. But OP/others, realize that means extra heating will be needed.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are good to go! One more thought -- in addition to the tank heaters, consider a heat cable for the outflow tube on your fresh water tank -- it is a notorious Achilles heel in freezing weather because it is so thin. The cable draws about two amps:

Ultra Heat Cable for Outflow Tube

We just finished a ten day camping trip with low temps in the teens -- the cable did the job for us! And we do not have tank heaters. (We were boondocking, relying solely on our battery and our solar, so juice is at a premium.)

This was the view from our breakfast table -- and that's why we love winter camping:

Click For Full-Size Image.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We also utilize several area rugs to cover the floor area and keep from having to wear shoes to the bathroom in the middle of the night. It also helps with insulation. I use smallish ones that can be thrown in the washer/dryer or hung and dried.

We camp in late fall in the mountains and we sometimes get snow, it will get well into the teens at night with daytime temps anywhere from 30's up to the 60s. It's my favorite time to camp. I use cuddle-duds under my regular clothes, a couple pair of socks (daytime only, can't stand them at night) and a boggan on my head. We keep a campfire or a propane fire going pretty much the entire time we are outside. We usually camp with friends and do weeks at a time.

We have a tiny dehumidifier that we sit on our kitchen island and let it drain into the sink. We have an electric fireplace that is set on 70 and the furnace is set on 60. According to how cold it gets, sometimes the furnace comes on constantly and sometimes it rarely comes on. With the interior at 60, the underbelly is in the mid-40's unless there is a very stiff wind blowing. (Have a thermometer to measure it). The water is cold, but not frozen.

Like this one.

We do NOT boondock, but we have power and water at our sites. We unhook the hose from the water supply before we head in for the night. We keep a minimal amount in the fresh water tank to flush with at night.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson wrote:
Dehumidifier is a must imo. That's the only real way to cut down the condensation other than cranking up the heat.

We always crack the vent in the bathroom. Been winter camping for over 10 years and never had inside condensation issues unless you try to keep the rig sealed up tight. It NEEDS to vent.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
My 5er has a residential refrigerator and it's a 4 season, full time living unit, and sells with that advertisement. After last winter, realizing how much heat from the furnace pumped into the underbelly, I know why it can withstand temps down to zero.

However, in all their attempts to protect all the water lines ... um ... they missed one. It's the small line that runs to the refrigerator for the ice maker. It's actually in the slide, and about 2 feet of it is 100% exposed, no insulation, no nothing. Even if the ice maker in the refrigerator is turned off, and the rest of the camper is running water, that 1 and 1/2 to 2 foot of exposed line will still have water in it, and freeze, possibly break, and have no easy way to shut off forward of that exposed area.

May be advertised a 4 season 5er, but it's really not. Sorry Keystone, you missed it on this one by 2 feet! I winterize anyway with pink stuff.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the desert best in winter. Going south gets you some daylight. That is the greatest challenge and the wonderful thing about an RV in winter, you have a place to be with lights out of the weather in all of that darkness. I catch up on my reading.

In Wisconsin, consider a trip south to somewhere like Arkansas. The North Woods are tough in winter. For a couple of days it is great to get out close to home. I really like a good fire in winter during the day. I use some canvas to make a windbreak. It takes some planning to be comfortable.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like you are well prepared. Only issue is the inaccessable fresh water pipes could still freeze depending how cold it gets. Worst case you just roll out. Don't forget to remove the external shower spray... doubt DW will need this.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
We love winter camping. The challenge is finding a place to camp. Despite high demands Oregon state parks closes many parks for no aparent reason. A whole different envirnment in winter. Quieter for sure. Smart to use dehumidifier. Makes a huge difference in our hybrid
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a good plan.
WE made one winter in a 30' 5er with a 13" slide. This trailer had two grey and one black water tanks. I also had a heat blanket attached to their bottoms and then had the tanks encapsulated with expanding foam. The trailer was a typical summer 3 season camper with R7 floors/sidewalls and roof.
I made inside storm windows from 1/8" Lexan and being set up permanent I used mobile home skirting.
I also wrapped the fresh water hose with a thermostat controlled heat tape and usual recommended insulation that goes along with it.
We had no freezing issues down to zero temps and 40 mph winds.

Biggest problem was interior sweating especially inside closets. We tried more fans....open windows and vents/etc but all that did was make a cold still wet, drafty camper with the heat going full time. We didn't git rid of moisture issue till we bought two dehumidifiers.

If we had top use a RV in the winter again its going to be one with a full time (real) 4 season package.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer