cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How heavy on a srw crew cab f350 3.5 with godzilla

Rscconrad
Explorer
Explorer
I know I can research it but I also know you guys can answer in a heartbeat. I’m stuck on 7.3’s. Still rolling with my 97.
21 REPLIES 21

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just wondering why you wouldn't use 18s-20s rated for 4060 compared to 4500 rated 19.5s. If you think the wheels are able to survive higher than the rating, it seems the 18s-20s would be good enough. Of course, then there is the air pressure to reach 4500. I'm not sure everyone always runs high enough pressure to actually be rated for 4500.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Boondocking2019 wrote:
Rscconrad wrote:
Those method rims are a great ideal to stay SRW

Thanks
Exactly the wheels I put on my F350 SRW. 4500 with 10 Ply Rated Tires.

Yes, for those who are intent on the “numbers” Methods are a great option and even look good unlike going to 19.5s where you can get any color or style as long as it’s that one color or style, lol.
That said, 19.5s ARE heavier duty than the “best” 18/20” with the best LT tires you can get.
2 different classes of tires. One made to “do it all ok” and nothing the best and one made the best for hauling and mediocre or uncomfortable and UGLY for everything else.
Back to OEM rims, this site has great anecdotal evidence that OE rims are absolutely fine at weights exceeding their rating. (How much idk, but 4klbs on each wheel doesn’t even give me pause.). Real world, I’ll recover to the 100s of HD trucks I’ve had or been around getting absolutely abused sometimes with weight. No broken wheels. Or the 100,000s of them on the road, doing what scares rvnet members to death, every day.
Factor of safety on OEM wheels is huge. Its too big of a liability for OEMs to cut corners when it’s too easy to make them just a little heavier duty than they “need” to be.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Boondocking2019
Explorer
Explorer
Rscconrad wrote:

Thanks
Exactly the wheels I put on my F350 SRW. 4500 with 10 Ply Rated Tires.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I understand tires. Sorry, my reference could have been clearer. When I said “dually tire” I was referring to the common dually “sizes” which are smaller lighter rated tires than the common srw sizes on late model trucks. And also that used in tandem are also rated a bit lower than the same in a single application.

Bedlam
DRW and SRW tire ratings are different most likely due heat build up of two tires next to each other. SRW and DRW rims are different, but you can safely apply half of whatever the front axle rating is listed on your DRW.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
mkirsch wrote:

First off, the words "you need" do not appear. It was obviously stated for comparison purposes.

Second off, we pick and choose which ratings we pay attention to here. He just chose to pick and choose different ratings than what you consider sacred.

Why, if a rim is rated 3500# on an SRW, is a rim that is the same material, same width, same diameter, de-rated to 2500# on a DRW? Seems like one of those made-up artificial "ratings" that you toss aside like used toilet paper.

No, I think we're actually using the same component, rims, as the likely limiting factor rating.
However, show me a stock or close to stock size dually tire on a OE wheel and the combo will not even be close to 3500lbs per rear tire.
More like 2910lbs per tire for stock size E load tires.
Yes, still almost 12k total for rear axle, but...you see what I mean.
And there's no "artificial de-rating" of rims on a 2500. GVW is artificially de-rated.

Regardless, 2500s and duallys are not and were not part of the OPs question.
Although this is another dead thread that the OP asked a rather cryptic question and hasn't had cause to participate further anyway, so we may as well talk about duallys or tulips, it doesn't matter.

There are no special "dually tires." You put the same rubber on an SRW as a dually, but they are rated for significantly more on an SRW, with no reason given. How is that not artificially de-rated?

"Same axle same spring same frame" is conjecture. "Same tire" is FACT, as it is written right there on the sidewall.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Rscconrad wrote:
I know I can research it but I also know you guys can answer in a heartbeat. I’m stuck on 7.3’s. Still rolling with my 97.
Not much different than a F350 with the 6.7 diesel.
As others say Fords F350 srw gives you a 7230 rawr which will be carrying most if not all of the truck campers weight.
Rear axles on these newer gen srw trucks have been weighing in the 3300-3400 lbs range leaving around 3800 lbs on the rear axle.
A 4600 lb payload in the bed will blow the hell out of any brand one ton srw crew cab 7000-7230 rawr numbers.

You can always upgrade to 19.5" tires/wheels and air bags for a 4xxx lb truck camper.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:

First off, the words "you need" do not appear. It was obviously stated for comparison purposes.

Second off, we pick and choose which ratings we pay attention to here. He just chose to pick and choose different ratings than what you consider sacred.

Why, if a rim is rated 3500# on an SRW, is a rim that is the same material, same width, same diameter, de-rated to 2500# on a DRW? Seems like one of those made-up artificial "ratings" that you toss aside like used toilet paper.

No, I think we're actually using the same component, rims, as the likely limiting factor rating.
However, show me a stock or close to stock size dually tire on a OE wheel and the combo will not even be close to 3500lbs per rear tire.
More like 2910lbs per tire for stock size E load tires.
Yes, still almost 12k total for rear axle, but...you see what I mean.
And there's no "artificial de-rating" of rims on a 2500. GVW is artificially de-rated.

Regardless, 2500s and duallys are not and were not part of the OPs question.
Although this is another dead thread that the OP asked a rather cryptic question and hasn't had cause to participate further anyway, so we may as well talk about duallys or tulips, it doesn't matter.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
Nice to see the weight police squabble over a 1 ton.

I guess to be safe get a military surplus deuce and a half and you're golden.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
PastorCharlie wrote:
Real world, the rims are the limiting weight rating at 3500-3600lb each

Upgrade to DRW and 4 3,500# rims equal 14,000#

And the first “you need a dually” and not even off the first page!
And doesn’t even know what OE dually tire/wheel is rated for.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
PastorCharlie wrote:

The Infor is available if you do not know. I know what my dually wheels/tires are rated to carry.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
PastorCharlie wrote:

Rscconrad
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Method 305NV HD wheels are rated at 4500 lbs each, No need to automatically assume the need for a DRW
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation