cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you handle no toilet in Pop Up?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Considering a used pop up camper for a short bed full size 3/4 ton truck.
A couple on my shortlist are....

2019 Norstar TC650 (without toilet). No cabinet for porta potty...it was used for additional battery

2004 Hallmark UTE XL (with toilet)

My camping locales include everything between no facilities (20%), to pit toilets (40%), to showers and toilets (40%).

Basically, deciding between the need to have a toilet or not in the pop up.

For those of you that have pop ups without a dedicated toilet, how do you handle your business....porta-potty, wag bags, ??

Thanks!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
25 REPLIES 25

run100
Explorer
Explorer
When we were avid tent campers, my wife would often need to fertilize the forest in the middle of the night. That was a big motivator to buying a fully equipped truck camper.

My two favorite amenities in our camper are the bathroom and the fridge. No more wondering if my wife will get eaten by a bear in the middle of the night and, due to the fridge, no more hassle in dealing with ice!

If you go with the non-toilet model, the portable toilet and outhouse tent would probably be the way to go. However, be mindful of high winds!!!
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

Bedlam
Is your boat big enough to have its own head? If so, you may not need to duplicate facilities.

I could get away with a bucket and bag but have other members of the household that have more demands. If I am planning to continue RVing with more people than just myself, we need a fully functioning bathroom.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
We had a port-a-potty when the kids were little so we did not have to walk them to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Pop ups are too small for and kind of permanent toilet/bathroom.

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input.

As much as I liked the idea of pop ups with no bathroom, they are shorter and end up even with my bumper, so that trailer connection for boat is easy, I believe I may regret not having an indoor toilet.

With the added bathroom, I'll need a stinger when towing. I can live with that.
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
JimK-NY wrote:
time2roll wrote:
At this stage of life I would eliminate the 20% of locations with no facilities. Otherwise may as well have a tent and backpack.

Very few places I stay have facilities.

Even when I stay in a place with facilities, I prefer to use my own. Mine is clean, sanitary, and convenient. I am old and half the time I need a facilities visit in the middle of the night. If not then first thing in the morning before I am fully awake or dressed.
X-2 the joys of us older folks, stumbling to the bathroom in the middle of the night with one eye partially open, much easier inside than falling down the steps to go outside somewhere, my days of outhouses are long gone and glad of it.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
At this stage of life I would eliminate the 20% of locations with no facilities. Otherwise may as well have a tent and backpack.

Very few places I stay have facilities.

Even when I stay in a place with facilities, I prefer to use my own. Mine is clean, sanitary, and convenient. I am old and half the time I need a facilities visit in the middle of the night. If not then first thing in the morning before I am fully awake or dressed.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

Even the cassette toilet in my old pop-up trailer did not work that well for us. Moved to pulling a trailer to have and actual bathroom.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Couple options
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have to echo big jeff. After years of tent camping, I really enjoy having a toilet and would never want to go back to the old days of outhouses or digging a hole.

big_jeff1
Explorer
Explorer
Well I have no pop up but will still give you my 2 cents worth anyway, for free! I've camped all my life and used the portable toilet for years with a portable outhouse type wall. When I was looking for my truck camper I knew I wanted a full, dry bath. Your getting a pop up camper with no bath/toilet.. your spending a large amount of cash for a tent in your truck bed. And yes, I LOVE my bathroom and truck camper.

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Porta potty and tent