cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you get rid of smell from water in fresh-water tank?

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
When we drove our "new" 2002 camper home from Idaho in June, the water from the fresh-water tank didn't have much of a smell. But after sitting for a month or two, the water smelled bad.

DW keeps flushing clean water through the tank and the smell is almost gone. But there must be a better way.

Do you completely drain the fresh-water tank between trips? That's what we did on our previous camper. But with our "new" camper, we would have to pump all the water from the fresh-water tank down the sink and into the grey-water tank and then empty it.

We are also wondering if the smell is left over from the antifreeze. (We never used antifreeze in our previous camper. We just drained all the fresh water before the cold weather.)
23 REPLIES 23

BillL1356
Explorer
Explorer
This is great advise, although, giardia is a tough one. To insure inactivation use either UV light or filter it.

Having had giardiasis, it isn't fun. I lost over 30 pounds in 6 weeks and was barely functional till they figured out what was going on. Don't chances with questionable water sources.

Bill

bb_94401
Explorer
Explorer
We "shock" treat (50 ppm) the water system (with hot water heater bypassed) once a year in the spring and then maintain normal free chlorine levels (1-2 ppm) the rest of the year. We check the free chlorine levels using test strips (0-10 mg/L, same as 0-10 ppm by mass). They are readily available at pool supply or Spa stores, as well as Walmart, Lowes, etc. ($10-15 for 100 strips). They typically test pH as well. We test the water prior to filling our tank to see if we need to add chlorine, or not, and how much.

Free chlorine levels in drinking water need to be at least 0.2 ppm to be effective as an antimicrobial and no more than 4 ppm for normal situations, according to the EPA and WHO. In an emergency situation 10 ppm for questionable clear tap water; 20 ppm for questionable, cloudy tap water (30 minutes contact time prior to drinking). Contact time, temperature, pH and sensitivity of the microbe all determine how effective the level of free chlorine is at inactivating the pathogens. If you are really worried, 4 logs of viral inactivation and 3 logs of Giardia inactivation can be had with a contact time of 6 hours at 1 ppm free chlorine, under the least favorable conditions with normal tap water. Basically, fill, treat and use it from the tank the next day. Most of the typical microbial contaminants, if present at all, are inactivated within 30 minutes.

The amount of free chlorine becomes less over time after oxidizing various organic molecules and microbes in the water. High levels of iron and manganese in the water also reduce the free chlorine level. To answer the question "is the water still good to drink or avoid growth?" just use a test strip to determine if the free chlorine level is still within the effective range.

About half of the people can smell chlorine around 1 ppm. We aren't sensitive so we keep ours at 1-2 ppm

Normal bleach is made by bubbling chlorine gas into a sodium hydroxide solution, so the solution is very basic (corrosive) as well as oxidizing. Normal bleach is ~5.25% chlorine (AKA sodium hypochlorite) or 52,500 ppm.

ppm levels for various applications:

hospitals use a 20% bleach solution (10,500 ppm) for sanitization of hard surfaces

Shock treatment of water wells uses a 2% bleach solution (1,050 ppm)

Beer and wine industry use 1% bleach solution (525 ppm) to clean and sanitize equipment. Food service companies use around 200-300 ppm for food contact surfaces and up to 800 ppm for sanitizing equipment.

Shock treatment of RV systems - 50 ppm (3.6 mL bleach per gallon of water desired). Typical conversion 5 mL = 1 tsp; 15 mL = 1 Tbsp; 29.6 mL = 1 oz (2 Tbsp). Dilute the required amount in a reasonable volume and pour it in your water tank and then fill the rest of the tank with water. You can use high range test strips (or a five fold dilution of the sample) to verify the free chlorine shock level at each tap (or just the one(s) at the end of the pipe run(s)). After a contact time of your choice (typically 15 to 30 minutes, it is sanitized, but the level of free chlorine needs to be reduce before you can drink out of the system.

Two drain and fill cycles is usually enough to reduce the chlorine levels to less than 4 ppm, if you take your time during the drain portion. You are ready to go camping and can drink the water. Easy to to show you are within a safe and effective range with the test strip.

Targeting 1 ppm or less uses very little bleach and is more difficult to measure. Easy to make up a diluted bleach stock solution (1 cup and then add water to make it a gallon). This 16 fold diluted bleach stock solution is 3,281 ppm. Use 1.14 mL of 16x diluted stock per gallon of water to treat, to achieve 1 ppm final.
'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake, Roadmaster bar

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Possibly the difference in chlorine levels noted is drinking the treated water that bleach is added to and 'shock' sanitizing the system (not drinking the treated water)?
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
It sounds like it's time to clean and sanitize the water system. Here's a link on how to do it. I do this procedure 2-3 times per year.

Sanitizing RV water system

BTW, are you SURE you don't have a fresh water drain somewhere under the rig?

I would be concerned about using this technique. It recommends way more than the necessary amount of chlorine (household bleach). One quarter cup per 15 gallons??? The recommendation from Washington State Dept. of Health is 1 tsp. per 5 gallons, which would be three tsps./15 gal. That's one Tbsp. or 1/16 of a cup per 15 gallons. As you can see this is 1/4 the amount the "Sanitizing RV Water System" article recommends. No wonder it takes so much rinsing to get the chlorine taste out of the system! Similar recommendations are to be found from various agencies if you Google the subject. This one provides a nice description of the process and has a step by step section that is suitable to print and save. I recommend you look at both of these links and make your own decisions.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
...Ever wondered how long water has been stored in bottles?

The bottled water has been filtered and is in a sealed in a sanitized container.

If you add CG water to your tank or if you hook up to it bacteria enters your fresh water lines. Don't drain your system down when you are not using it and it grows and grows in your lines.

The water in CG's are questionable, most are not maintained properly and usually running along old antiquated sewer lines and the sewer hook up with inches of the water spigot,and a huge septic tank nearby.
I also don't drink CG water.

Residential wells are required not to be anywhere's near your septic tank or sewer lines. As we all know they are side by side in a CG AND with a wide OPEN connection to the sewer.

CG's are not required to do regular testing on their well water like so many campers would like to believe.:W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

cruiseruser
Explorer
Explorer
Northern-Lite.org forums may help as well.

cruiseruser
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there,

If you have the Northern Light, I found this online. It may pertain to you.

The drain cock for the camper unit is located at the floor of the unit under the cab thru window OR in the dump valve compartment.
If the camper is on the truck, remove your tie downs and lift it off of the truck about 2 inches. It helps if you raise the front of the camper just slightly higher than the rear.
There are owner manuals online for the unit that you have listed.
Hope this helps.

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
I have had my present TC (1988 Bigfoot) since 2004. I have a well at home, with no filters. I fill my tank at home and usually have enough water for my trip. If I need additional water, I fill with the water the locals drink. I drink the water that is in my tank.

The first two years, I did sanitize the tank about four times. After that, maybe every other year. I might drain my tank once a year. The only time my water has tasted bad was after I sanitized it. If I have ever had any issues with my water, I am not aware of it.

Ever wondered how long water has been stored in bottles?

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
interesting. I've been just topping off my tank before each trip. I haven't drained it at all. I rarely have services so I always begin with a full tank. No problems at all but I do fill from a city service.

I do sanitize in the spring and the fall but don't empty the tank between trips.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Made that mistake last year.

In previous years I had used the camper every 2 weeks, so the water never sat stagnant for too long. Last year due to insane problems at work and a surgery, I cut way back on my camping. Went to fill it up for a trip, and SCIENCE EXPERIMENT came wafting out the vent hole...

There was a definite "funk line" on the fresh tank where the water level was.

4 simple words: Massive quantities of bleach.

I added a couple cups of ordinary household bleach to the tank, filled it to the brim, and watched the magic.

From there on out I only put in a little more water than I figure I'll need, and pump the rest into a 5-gallon bucket at the end of the trip.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
I can rememeber doing a sanitize treatment when I bought the camper, 2006. But I use the TC so much the water really doesn't have a chance to get stale. This summer I did fill it up run all the taps to push new water thru then shut off pump left taps open and drained the tank over night...filled it in the morning and away we go. Funny thing is I can't remember the previous time that I did that..but I know I did...maybe once every couple of years. Thing is I use the TC year round with very few days of downtime in between. It is wash, flush and drinking water to me...never had an issue. I am one of the odd fellows, I think as I keep the tank full while traveling...basically if I can top it off I do with a water supply I feel good about. I just don't know when I will be able to fill the next time, as I boondock most of the time and I like a quick shower...I don't ration my use consciously, but use it wisely...so back to the point...I have never had a smell or bad water issue. If I used it seasonally, I'd do the bleach treatment, easy and effective. No need to buy any special products, save the $. Bleach and rinse...VOILA!!!! Have fun using your TC.
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
We've drank water from all our RV's over the years but I sanitize every spring.
It just seems redundant to be carrying around 40 gallons of fresh water and then have to wrestle with another jug just for drinking water.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
mpfireman wrote:
I may be the one in a million BUT, I never drink from my fresh water tank in all of the years of camping( going on 50 years now) The fresh water tank is for sanitary us, Cooking, Washing dishes, ETC, but never drinking. We have a 2 gallon container that we use for drinking water, and it has worked out well for us. But we do drain our fresh water tank and hot water tank when the RV is not in use.

You are not the lone ranger! :B
I do NOT drink the water out of the fresh tank either.

I kept it sanitized regularly and drain after each use. I full time now so it's is cleaned every 3 or 4 weeks especially if I have put CG well water in it.

The fresh water tank is a holding tank petrie dish for bacteria and it DOES and CAN get spunky.

I am certainly not a germaphob but private wells at CG's are not always tested and most times never. Add to that the warm temp outside and well if there is a chance of bacteria growing it will.

Maybe it won't kill ya but that bout of diarrhea you blamed on too much chilli and tacos at last nights CG cook out? Could very well be from drinking from your spunky fresh water tank! :B:W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well I must be one in 10 million then. I've never drained or sanitized the tank in the 8 years we've had the camper. Just add water and go. We drink from it using the built-in filtered tap and never had a smell or taste issue. We have a well at home and the camper is stored in an insulated, heated building so maybe that's the difference.