cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How cold can you go?

campbikemom
Explorer
Explorer
This is the time of year that we usually embark on our last camping trip. We were planning on making the trip last weekend our last of the year, but my 3 (soon to be 4) year old asked if we could go camping for his birthday after he saw another kid having a "camping birthday party." His birthday in mid-November.

I think it's a GREAT idea - save for the fact that we live in Central NY and we can have temperatures below freezing. Our current camper does not have an enclosed and heated underbelly. So, how cold can we reasonably expect to camp without disaster striking? Would high 20's/low 30's be OK or is anything close to freezing too risky?

Also, we could be crazy and camp in the trailer for a nice dry, heated placed to sleep and just not fill the water tanks. However, the camper hasn't been winterized so not sure that would even be OK.
62 REPLIES 62

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Downtheavenue,

Since I have successfully camped at -34 f, you may want to listen to what I say.

You can not safely STORE an rv at 23 f with water in the tanks and lines. But you may often find it safe to USE it (furnace running etc.) at 23 f. Below that temperature extra measures may often be required, such as heat tape.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Actually, Huntingdog, our real reason for not using the furnace much is not about saving propane. It is more about electricity -- the furnace draws four amps! And it is noisy.

But you are absolutely right -- the water lines usually won't freeze in the high 20s, especially if they are all inside the trailer and if you keep your trailer warm.

The real problem is the outflow tube from the water tank, which is thin and is often not inside the trailer. It will usually freeze in the low 20s, unless you have installed a heat cable.
I said "quite a few". I guess you are not one of them.

Many people here it seems use campgrounds with electric.... They tend to want to use electric space heaters as it is "free" vs. using propane to run the heater. Of course using space heaters does very little in many TTs to keep the water lines from freezing. Gotta run the furnace for that.

BTW, My current TT from the factory was good until 7 degrees, with the furnace set at 70.
I have since modified it to go much lower than that.

I do not worry about battery power when the temps are really low, as I just run the generator nonstop. It keeps the batteries up, and the plumbing heat tape running.

Boondocking in remote locations in low temps is really like being in survival mode. It is work.

The benefit for us is that it sends most people home, leaving the woods to us. That makes for great hunting.

The nastier the weather, the more I like it.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
As cold as is necessary.
Compared to being in a tent, being in an RV is a piece of cake.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually, Huntingdog, our real reason for not using the furnace much is not about saving propane. It is more about electricity -- the furnace draws four amps! And it is noisy.

But you are absolutely right -- the water lines usually won't freeze in the high 20s, especially if they are all inside the trailer and if you keep your trailer warm.

The real problem is the outflow tube from the water tank, which is thin and is often not inside the trailer. It will usually freeze in the low 20s, unless you have installed a heat cable.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

You may start to have serious problems at about 23 F. YMMV

WOW! I thought water froze at 32 F. I guess I was mistaken!
You are misunderstanding.
Water does freeze at 32. But your TT water lines etc. will not get to that temp if you are living in it running the heater, cooking etc.
So you can go somewhat lower safely. How low depends on your unit, and your usage.

Quite a few here, try to save on propane and do not use the heater much.... They will freeze up quite a bit easier than my TT, as I keep it comfortable inside.... If I gotta use the bathroom in the middle of the night, I do not want to have to get dressed to do it.
So my TT even in stock form was good into the single digits.... But I did use a LOT of propane.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

You may start to have serious problems at about 23 F. YMMV

WOW! I thought water froze at 32 F. I guess I was mistaken!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
ajriding, is that the temp?? Yikes.

At least it's not minus 7.

Not yet.
About our trailer

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, I will lift my wipers when needed. I see now that at times it can be beneficial.

MattFromPA
Explorer
Explorer
South-central PA here, we woke up one late October Saturday a few years back to 6" of snow. My trailer isn't optimized for cold, but temps hovered around 32 all day so I wasn't too concerned. We did go through some propane. We left Saturday afternoon only because the campground lost power and then lost water pressure. Kids had a blast of course.

Check your forecast that week. If temps go below freezing only overnight then I would go for it. We're headed out for the last trip of the year this weekend. It may dip down to freezing Saturday night. I would consider wrapping exposed water lines if temps dropped into the low 20's for an extended period.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
Snomas wrote:
I moved from CO to AZ and don't worry about cold weather any more.

Those of us who camp in the cold don't worry about it, we embrace and look forward to it 🙂

No bugs and best of all..........no people!
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Snomas wrote:
It can happen in AZ. We have seen 9 below near Sonoita in January.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
jseyfert, I think you solved the mystery. Where it never gets above freezing, there is no "melt and re-freeze" cycle, so no need to pull the wipers away from the glass.
About our trailer