Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot water-hot rod issue.

ArticFox_676
Explorer
Explorer
heater,elec. fire
We ran into a โ€œflukeโ€ with our new, 2017 Coleman lite after three useโ€™s . The 110v wires to the Hotwater heater hot rod shorted out against it self and burned a hole in the cover. Luckily we were in the unit, turned on the hot rod, and 20 minutes later smoke and fire. We extinguished out the obvious after Turing off the thumb switch. The repairs were over $200.00 our cost because our insurance is $500. Deduction. No offer from Dutchman after reporting it to them. They really did not seam to be overly alarmed which bothered us because we know people who turn there hot rod on and leave the unit.
We still like the unit otherwise.
16 REPLIES 16

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
OK..I'm guessing ...

... and again I'm guessing ...

SoundGuy wrote:
And why are we guessing when the OP could simply tell us exactly which water heater he has? Give us that and we'd then know exactly what he means by "hot rod". :R

bob213 wrote:
I "guess" you are right :W

Seems the OP along with his irrational accusations against Dutchmen RV has left the building along with Elvis. ๐Ÿ˜›

I guess. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
bob213 wrote:
OK..I'm guessing ...

And why are we guessing when the OP could simply tell us exactly which water heater he has? Give us that and we'd then know exactly what he means by "hot rod". :R

I "guess" you are right :W
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
OK..I'm guessing ...

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
OK..I'm guessing there is a lack of correct terminology here. I believe you are calling the "heating element" a "hot rod" which if you google "Hott Rod" you will find is an aftermarket addition for gas only water heaters. If it was your heating element and again I'm guessing you have a Suburban with your mention of the thumb switch, you should have a 2 year water heater mfg.er's warranty. If what I have guessed is correct your best bet would be to contact Suburban.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ArticFox 676 wrote:
Just to be clear, the hot rod was factory installed. No changes or mods were
Made to any part of the HW heater.
My only point has always been, if the installer made one mistake, they made more. Who is responsible for the defect? The manufacture of the trailer. No one else.
We are hoping that no one else has the problem.

Unfortunately you're not being "clear" at all ... I know of NO trailer manufacturer that would install an aftermarket Hott Rod in any water heater. You haven't even identified the make / model of water heater you have but if by "hot rod" you're referring to a water heater with a manufacturer supplied electric heating element then that would have been installed by the manufacturer of the water heater itself, not the trailer manufacturer. Identifying exactly which water heater you have would provide the answer.

ArticFox_676
Explorer
Explorer
Just to be clear, the hot rod was factory installed. No changes or mods were
Made to any part of the HW heater.
My only point has always been, if the installer made one mistake, they made more. Who is responsible for the defect? The manufacture of the trailer. No one else.
We are hoping that no one else has the problem.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Heโ€™s MIA, Soundguy.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
I would contact the water heater maker to see what they say.

No point if the OP indeed does have a Hott Rod ... unfortunately he hasn't come back to clarify exactly what he has. :R

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Dutchmen will tell you that the water heater maker is the one at fault. If your television melted down they would advise you to contact the television maker.

Since they almost all use the same sources, no one TT maker has any more reliable appliances than the next. There may be some upscale TTs with a different supply base and of course the appliance suppliers have many different models.

I would contact the water heater maker to see what they say.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you state 'hot rod'are you talking about an aftermarket small electric element that has been ADDED via the drain hole to your 'gas only' water heater

OR

are you talking about the OEM Electric element on a combo electric/gas water heater???

Aftermarket.......RV MFG/Water Heater MFG are NOT responsible and installation/use of that hott rod has voided your water eater warranty

If your Water Heater is a combo OEM unit then RV MFG IS responsible for repairs----depending on warranty time limit (Water Heater MFG S/B 2 yr warranty)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
A 2017 Coleman really comes with a propane only water heater?

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
After many more years than yours our Water Heater stopped working on electric. I found burned wires and a melted switch at the Heater. Replaced all and now heat water almost exclusively on propane and reserve the electric for emergencies like running out of propane.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Aftermarket? No wonder Dutchman was unconcerned. Leave the unit with hot water heater on? Oh boy.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ArticFox 676 wrote:
No offer from Dutchman after reporting it to them. They really did not seam to be overly alarmed which bothered us because we know people who turn there hot rod on and leave the unit.

The Hott Rod water heater conversion kit is an aftermarket product so what would this have to do with Dutchmen? :h It's also not recommended for use by water heater manufacturers for the exact reasons you've reported in your post.