cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot water heater question .....

Oreonut
Explorer
Explorer
So I got my fridge question answered and now on to the hot water heater. Our trailer was advertised with a gas only hot water heater. Upon investigation it has a breaker in the back and a plug under the sink labeled for the hot water heater and the heater model is also gas/electric. The switch inside the camper only controls the gas.

Any reason why they would set it up as just gas and not electric?? Would there be any reason we couldn't still just put a switch under the sink for that plug and use it as electric when plugged in?

Just seems so weird they didn't put in an electric switch next to the gas one like the old days.

2023 Forest River RV Wildwood 31KQBTS

Thanks!
Kelly

2023 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
2023 Forest River - Wildwood 31KQBTS
Blue Ox

Old Set up:

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
2007 Sunset Creek 298 BH
Hensley arrow/Prodigy
10 REPLIES 10

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Itโ€™s a water heater. Not a hot water heater.

Iโ€™d suggest going back to the dealer or finding someone who is at least somewhat knowledgeable about RV operation and function to walk you through your questions and/or fix the deficiencies in your new camper.

What was the fridge โ€œsolution?โ€ Maybe I missed it but you ghosted that thread.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Oreonut wrote:
So I got my fridge question answered and now on to the hot water heater. Our trailer was advertised with a gas only hot water heater. Upon investigation it has a breaker in the back and a plug under the sink labeled for the hot water heater and the heater model is also gas/electric. The switch inside the camper only controls the gas.

Any reason why they would set it up as just gas and not electric?? Would there be any reason we couldn't still just put a switch under the sink for that plug and use it as electric when plugged in?

Just seems so weird they didn't put in an electric switch next to the gas one like the old days.

Thanks!

the panels and such are generic when they are built, if there is nothing plugged into the outlet under the sink and nothing hooked up to the braker (or the breaker could be wired to the plug) then chances are your unit didn't come with dual as it is usually an optional upgrade. They are prewired though to make it easy to upgrade it when ordered that way.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
My water heater has a switch in the breaker box, switch on the heater itself and the gas switch on a control panel. I always turn the breaker switch and outside switch on after I know the tank is full. The gas switch is turned on during showers and washing dishes for faster recovery.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oreonut wrote:

Thanks!

No reason why you can not do that.

Use a switch such as this one, so you can tell whether the water heater is on or off.

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
Our current 5er has the gas switch inside and the electric on the water heater, as pictured in the previous post.

Our previous 5er was the same, except it did have an electric switch inside. However, the outside electric switch was the master so it had to be on in order for the inside one to work. I liked this set up.
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

johned
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at your refrigerator post and can't tell if you bought this trailer new or used from a dealer or a private party. If it's a dealer they should be able to answer this question. I know in my previous arctic fox in order to activate the 120 volt feature I flipped the switch that you show in your photo AND then activated a switch on the control panel inside the trailer. You may have the same setup. However, you may have a heater that's 120 capable that was never hooked up. This RV business can get pretty goofy.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Look in outside compartment. As stated above..lower left corner:
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oreonut wrote:

Thanks!

No reason you could not do that if done properly.

katysdad
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a suburban water heater. A switch in lower left corner of heater behind exterior cover and a breaker in the panel box to control 120 volt side. Atwood water heaters had the electric switch on the panel with the gas switch.
Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Diesel

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
In "the old days", there was a gas switch inside and an electric switch outside on the heater itself. Maybe look for a rocker-type switch on the outside of your water heater?

FYI: Forest River's spec's for this trailer says the water heater is "Gas/Electric DSI".
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax