cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Host Cascade in service body

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Guys, I know there is a ton of knowledge on here. I just ordered a Ram 5500 60 CA.

I would like to put a service body on it. Douglas is way out in CA, I am in PA. I'm looking at CM

beds and they make one that may fit. It is 110 inches long and 49 inches inside. Storage on

both sides. I'm concerned about fitting the camper in and getting it all the way forward, or most

of the way. Tie downs, frame mounted, bed mounted, what are you guys doing. I also

don't have the camper yet. Will be ordering this week or next. Lots of things to consider

and I probable forgot some. Comments welcome and encouraged.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride
9 REPLIES 9

jerryleejr
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
May also look at Aluma for flat beds. I think they are in Iowa.

I looked at Aluma 96x102 they run 3K before install. Sherptek was insane….

JJ

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
May also look at Aluma for flat beds. I think they are in Iowa.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
The dealer said CM service bed would not take the weight.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

jerryleejr
Explorer
Explorer
I know it’s an old post but for those considering Sherptek you better have deep pockets, Just got my quote and I can sure have a nice bed but then won’t be buying anything to put in it wow….

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I thought about sherptek. Also I need to make sure the service body can handle the weight. My local CM dealer brought that up. He is trying to check with the factory. My 5500 will be almost the same from Ram.
Just considering a different bed. lots of choices, no hurry. Were just sitting here for the last year and now were sitting in cold, ice, and snow.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Bedlam
Another option is Sherptek or StableCamper. This your second 5500 so you know what works for you.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Douglass did mine and I opted for the frame mounts incorporating my fast-guns. Today I might choose a different tie-down system, depending on how critical the alignment would need to be. I just picked up our new Mammoth last weekend in Portland and I can't utilize any of the 4 factory grab points on the camper. Knowing this I had some custom ones built and powder coated white. The 2 fronts bolt to the swing-out brackets and the 2 rears are about 12" further back. I used the factory 3-bolt pattern and drilled out another 3 bolt pattern just beyond the power slide gearing. Because my Douglass body has a narrower taper in the back, they work fine, however the fast-guns do block the cabinet doors. No real problem though-
I can send some pictures to your email if you want. Drop me a PM if interested-
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
How long is your service body?
I put my TC on 10' utility body on F350 and when commercial-grade suspension handle the COG in the rear just fine, not only UB had raised floor, but I had to put 4" spacers to clear the side boxes.
That borough my AC to 13-6" level while entrance steps made "highway to heaven".
The basement camper had lot of storage, so I really did not need extra boxes, while the height was often the issue.
Eventually I found regural bed for the truck and changed it.

scooterh
Explorer
Explorer
Are you in Slippery Rock Pa.?
I had" Troy Ridge " out of Millersburg Oh. build me a custom flatbed with removable top boxes. All aluminum. The flatbed is made of 1/8 in.. with builtin bottom boxes. Bed weighs 535#. 2 custom top boxes weigh about 90# apiece.
Millersburg is not far from Slippery Rock.
I'm very satisfied with the quality. and the price. Troy Ridge builds about all the service boxes for the Amish construction business around Holmes Co. Ohio.
Might be worth the drive over to talk to and see their facilities.