cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda 3000

zulu52
Explorer
Explorer
Will a Honda 3000 power two camper A/C units? My truck camper and my Brother's 16' trailer camper.

No picture of my Brother's camper. It is a Shasta.
9 REPLIES 9

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
zulu52 wrote:
Thanks for the input. I'll have to check on BTU's.
The Shasta is a retro but I think my Brother changed out the A/C unit for a bigger one because the one it came with wouldn't cool the camper.
We are in flat land in Texas. Altitude isn't an issue here.
Without knowing the continuous current rating and LRA of both a/c units it's hard to answer your question with any degree of accuracy.

BTU ratings only provide a very general idea how much power a given a/c unit may need to start/run. Some a/c units can be significantly more efficient than others---even when they have the same BTU rating. It's too bad RV a/c manufacturers don't provide a SEER rating. SEER ratings, found on nearly all residential a/c units, specify how efficient they are.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
zulu52 wrote:
Will a Honda 3000 power two camper A/C units? My truck camper and my Brother's 16' trailer camper.

A lot depends on the AC in the two units. Some small trailers have very low powered window type ACs that barely use any power and are 6000 btu or so. When my stock AC died on my TC, I replaced it with a 9000 btu model.

Doing the math, that's 15000btu which is about the same btu as some TCs. If not 15000, they are usually 13500.

As others have noted, startup is the hard part. On some, that startup jolt can be decreased by turning the fan on first. Besides that, unplugging the converter/charger and switching water heater, refrigerator, etc to propane will also decrease the load.

A cheap tool to check is a Kill-a-watt meter that you can buy off Amazon, or simply check to see what the ACs draw at max power. Or, just you could just try it.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
Mine runs one 15,000 btu ac along with normal lights, tv, etc. I agree that it probably won't be reliable for another ac.

It usually trips out if we try to use a hair dryer, curling iron, microwave, electric skillet.
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

zulu52
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. I'll have to check on BTU's.
The Shasta is a retro but I think my Brother changed out the A/C unit for a bigger one because the one it came with wouldn't cool the camper.
We are in flat land in Texas. Altitude isn't an issue here.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
That honda is rated 23.3A continous 25A max. If both ACs are 13.5 BTU and In a perfect world it would run both; in the real world it would be a toss up.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
If the Shasta is a retro model the AC is 5000 btu.
The TC probably has a 13.5 btu AC. Lots of factors involved not the least of which is altitude and what ever else is being powered.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's 25A so you would need 2 smaller A/C units and startup surge could be a issue. I'd say it won't be reliable let alone other RV draws.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Not likely and probably a hard no, since a Honda 2k will barely/not quite power 1 RV A/C.

You might have a shot if theyโ€™re both little 8k units and/or have soft starts.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 3000 and it is very capable.
You don't describe the btu in each rig but if both are not trying to start at the same time I would say yes it will run both.