cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Honda 2200i Generator on Eco

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a Honda 2000i and have been thinking about upsizing to the newer 2200i, my air conditioner is a Coleman Mach 11.5kbtu that pulls 9.0 running amps (higher on starts). After about 30 minutes, the 2000i is sometimes at its limit when at high desert elevations, whereas the 2200i should do well. Just wondering if anyone in the truck camper community has tried to run a similarly sized air unit with the newer 2200i, but when in Eco mode??
22 REPLIES 22

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
3 tons wrote:
and found that my 2000i is not compatible to parallel with the new 2200...

I've heard the same thing, from the guy that bought my EU2000 because he wanted to pair a 2000 and a new 2200. He found out his 2000 was below a certain serial number, making it no workie with a 2200. Pretty sure he got this info direct by talking to someone at Honda.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
My old Yamaha 2800I Inverter would not start the roof unit on my old Lance in eco. It would stumble and then cut out. In run mode, no issue. Should have kept it but it was getting old so I sold it on Flea Bay and got almost what I paid for it.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
ardvark wrote:
In the for what it's worth department I'll toss this out. For 20+ years I worked professionally on RVs. On service calls to small dealers lots, I carried a Yamaha 2400 in my truck to save the aggravation of pulling extension cords on units located a good ways away from the garage. What I learned with AC units is whether my genny would start them was a **** shoot. Most often it would, but other times it would stall out. There never seemed to be any pattern as to which makes or models would run, although more often than not they did run.

It was the same thing on service work. Up on the roof with a clamp meter on the compressor there was considerable variation in amp draw making it hard to offer a simple rule as to what will work with what. I know what the service manual says, but there are a lot of variables that still come into play. I think that leads to a good deal of variation in self-reports. I also have a Yamaha 2,000 and it is the same story with that one.

Thanks for your informed wisdom Sir, I think of the several ‘go’ or ‘no go’ variables to come into play (on any given unit) are elevation (gen performance) and the adverse effects that high ambient temps and extended run times have on ac compressor amp draw and genny output...JMO

3 tons...(needed for cooling - lol!!)

ardvark
Explorer
Explorer
In the for what it's worth department I'll toss this out. For 20+ years I worked professionally on RVs. On service calls to small dealers lots, I carried a Yamaha 2400 in my truck to save the aggravation of pulling extension cords on units located a good ways away from the garage. What I learned with AC units is whether my genny would start them was a **** shoot. Most often it would, but other times it would stall out. There never seemed to be any pattern as to which makes or models would run, although more often than not they did run.

It was the same thing on service work. Up on the roof with a clamp meter on the compressor there was considerable variation in amp draw making it hard to offer a simple rule as to what will work with what. I know what the service manual says, but there are a lot of variables that still come into play. I think that leads to a good deal of variation in self-reports. I also have a Yamaha 2,000 and it is the same story with that one.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
The wing storage compartment in the camper is sized for a Honda 2000i (incl. 2200i), so IF I take the plunge, I’m pretty committed to sticking with Honda, just thinking about some extra headroom...

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
3 tons wrote:
There are vids all over the place about paralleling 2 different sized gens. Seems odd these two would be the exception - but the spec sheet is pretty specific. Bummer.

If it were me I'd try it anyway. Then if the voltage is low, forget it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I'd just jump to the Champion 3400 with remote electric start. That and a decent sized inverter will run what ever you want. I do love solar as well--but on a truck camper there are space constraints.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I suggest you parallel the two. I do not own a truck camper.

Good point, but I checked the serial number here:

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/misc/EU2200i-EU2000i-Parallel-Operation.pdf

3 tons

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Microair posts

GULFMAN
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone installed a Micro-Air on there air conditioner.
It looks kind of confusing.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
3 tons wrote:
I still would be interested to learn if the new 2200i can run a similar air unit while in the ECO mode (??) though it seems a bit unlikely, thx.
You mean start it in Eco mode? That's the problem. Once started, it'll be a long ways from idle speed.

When in ECO mode RPM’s tend to be relatively low to about mid-RPM’s (though higher than idle) and fairly consistent, Please clarify...

Upon a re-read I think I get ur drift, agreed...

3 tons

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
3 tons wrote:
I still would be interested to learn if the new 2200i can run a similar air unit while in the ECO mode (??) though it seems a bit unlikely, thx.
You mean start it in Eco mode? That's the problem. Once started, it'll be a long ways from idle speed.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I could have swore that my honda 2000 was in eco mode all night on the night of July 12th when it was a low of 85 deg. and my 9200 is wired so when the thermostats calls for the AC cycle, both the Fan and compressor turn on or off and the same time. but I was at sea level. between 10pm and 8am I burnt 1 tank of fuel.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer