cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitches - Stingers extended no "Super Hitch" thoughts?

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy,
I'm at the point where the details are starting to raise their ugly head...

I have the truck, have the camper, AF 990 and Polaris ACE 900 is due next week. The question is now, how to tow it.

I have a 25" camper overhang off the truck Class V hitch.
I'll be towing an Alum 6x12 with apx 1000# buggy )Ace at 900 + Doo-dads... single axle.

torklift auto recommends a Super Hitch, which I had on order, but Flatbed mfg said it's too much modifications to put on.

I'm looker for a cheaper, TL quoted some $2100 to mod the flatbed for a superhitich, which I don't need at this point in time.

Everywhere else, I'm seeing mfg promote their extended hitchs, stingers and I can't believe everyone else has a 'Super hitch" so thoughts? Recommendations?

I love Tork, but sometimes my wallet starts to tremble in fear when I go there.

thanking you in advance... estimated, not confirmed Alum 6x12 apx 400lbs??

ps. I tired to "Search" for stingers and hitchs, didn't get anything so if you know of a topic, please let me know, better yet, link it..
thanks..
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10’ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow N’ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website
16 REPLIES 16

Tom_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
When you have ball close, or under the bumper, make sure you can make U-turn with the trailer before hitting the road.

And if the ball is WAY under the bumper, make sure the bumper isn't going to crash down on top of the trailer tongue when you go through a dip in the road.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
When you have ball close, or under the bumper, make sure you can make U-turn with the trailer before hitting the road.

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice responses, thanks all.

I'll be taking a closer look at it this weekend, camper is going into shop as the DISH system wiring isn't correct and other minor things.

All that to say,I'll be looking at the above references closely.

It's a 2" socket. He, FB mfg, offered the 2.5" and also the double hitch, but didn't think it was necessary. I've been over "Powering" on everything else, heheh, sadly didn't realize the implications now..

Longer trailer hitch, i agree, easier to back up... I'm not sure what he meant, but I it didn't "positive vibes" so dismissed it as not a good idea.

Again, thanks all, I'll be checking it all out this weekend and will post the outcome for the "Next guy/gal" to use as a reference, which is what this is all about..

See All Y'all on the road.. thanks again..

PS. Bedlam, heheh, have to get the buggy, next week as it's shipped, but then?? LOL, have to get the hitch thing squared away. Have fun at Moses and thanks for offering...
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10’ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow N’ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

Bedlam
Using that long Hidden Hitch draw bar on the Curt extension will derate the Curt extension and make it almost worthless. There are better extensions from the same website that are longer.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessories/Curt/C45048.html

I am assuming Frank's receiver is a 2.5" model with the above link.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
15.75" draw bar

18" extension

The above combination would put the ball 33.75" out from the pin hole on your receiver, with a 50% reduction in capacity.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

finsruskw
Explorer
Explorer
The longer the trailer tongue, the easier it will be to back up.
The trailer will "answer up" much slower with a long tongue.

The closer the axles are to the hitch, the quicker it will "answer up" leading to trailer and truck damage if not corrected soon enough.

I'd much rather back up a 53'er than a 28'er any day, given the room to do so.

I once had to back a 48'er nearly 2 miles up a mountain road in GA, near Camp Merrill.

arto_wa
Explorer
Explorer
fpoole wrote:
Thanks, I spoke to the dealer on that and admittedly not that knowledgeable, but thought the trailer tongue would be worse, something about backing up and down? not sure, but it didn't sound good...

Just dunno...

I am not sure what you are saying above?
Longer trailer tongue will not make backing up any more difficult - on the contrary!
99 F350 4x4 CC DRW 7.3L PSD, 97 Bigfoot 2500 10.6
(11,900#)

89 Duckworth 17' Pro 302

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
You may have a 25" overhang, but you don't necessarily need a full 25" extension for towing.

My camper has an 18" overhang, and I regularly tow my 7-ton deckover flatbed with NO extension, with only minor considerations. The coupler is under the camper overhang.

Maybe yours will work with a simple 12" extension that you can find fairly easily?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
These are specifically for cab/chassis trucks , Reese also makes one but cannot find it right off .

http://www.curtmfg.com/part/15605
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

The "Superhitch" is more for towing a heavy trailer, such as a horse trailer, or something like that. It will also handle the 48" Overhang of the largest campers! But for a 24" overhang, then a 18" long extension and a 12" long hitch receiver will put the ball mount a few inches behind the rear of the camper, and probably far enough back that the trailer will not touch the camper, except in the tightest backing up maneuver.

You can buy a 18" long hitch extension at ETrailer.com

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
With flatbed any welding shop should reinforce any hitch to strength you desire.
I used to have F250 flatbed with standard hitch and I was towing 18,000 lb trailer with pintle hitch on it.
I am a welder so it was a matter of 20 minutes to cut small plate and weld it between the hitch and flatbed chanel to make very strong setup.
Did not have extension, but I think my tongue was getting to 5000lb on occasions.

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
You dont need a Super Hitch to tow that kind of trailer. A Reese Titan hitch and a Reese extension will work fine. I use a Reese 42" extension with the Titan hitch and it works great. I tow an aluminum ATV trailer which totals less than 2000 lbs and has a tongue weight of less than 150 lbs. Throw a couple side chains on it and it will be a solid hitch.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

Bedlam
You're probably not going to have over 250 lbs tongue weight even if you load the trailer front heavy. You should be able to get away with a standard extension and stablizer chains.

If you get your Ace from Kenmore before next weekend, you can join us at Moses Lake and break it in.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Frank.

Maybe have a trusted fab shop make a "super hitch" out of your factory one. Guy I work with made his based on their design and has towed heavy with it for years. I think you could find a place to weld on the lower receiver and brace it properly for your application. It is not rocket science, simple engineering and fab work. Then when you want to tow the RZR1k as well for a spare ride, you can.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.