cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hit a bump and lost my transmission

silverfz
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Tundra 155k . Tows a 7k TT. I hit a bump on highway, felt a jerk and then it went into limp mode. Towed it home and all i could smell was burnt oil.
Aamco rebuilt it and promptly a tree fell on it . So now geico has totalled the truck and offering 17k. ...anyway crazy i cannot find anything close to this price for the 10 days i use the truck in a year.I did put brand new tires and brakes before it.

The buy back is 4800 and i am thinking of keeping it as the damage is all cosmetic. nothing mechanical.
I think its a good decision but i have no experience with a rebuilt transmission . Not a factory rebuilt . those were like 8k, so just aamco rebuilt with a new valve body on it. 18k/ 1.5 year warranty just started.

looking for some input rebuilt transmission .Also someone to tell me letting go is a better idea.
i have a jeep wrangler , 2 motorcycles for my personal use [been working from home for 4yr to one or two work trips a year]. My wife has a ford explorer and jetta [work mileage car] . so the truck is used maybe 10-15 days for towing.
2014 avenger 28 bhs
2008 Toyota tundra crew max
guarded by bear the mini dashound
running from payload police edition
30 REPLIES 30

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
AAMCO was your biggest mistake. Dump it
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
A pic or a description of the damage would help. Even without seeing it I'd lean towards taking the money and buying it back. There are wrecked trucks everywhere. There is nothing to replacing a bed or front sheet metal damage. The cab wouldn't be that bad even to include paying a shop.
You would have 12 grand to play with.
Puma 30RKSS

ggardne2
Explorer
Explorer
Relative to your original question on the rebuild ... a well done rebuild by a qualified transmission mechanic should last and be durable. The valve body can be the most troublesome part of a rebuild ... you indicatd they installed a new valve body on the transmission ... so provided they flushed contamination out of the cooler, flushed or put a rebuilt converter in, cleaned the main barrel parts throughly, and installed a filter in the cooler line to catch any residual contamination you shouldn't stick any valves. It is probably worth looking at your invoice to see what was replaced beyond a standard rebuild kit (friction and seals).

busterja21
Explorer
Explorer
9k for an HD truck 7 years newer and 70k less miles doesn't sound too bad.

Send them receipts for the tires and tranny, also anything you added like a bedliner, radio, hitch, steps bars or anything else. When my truck was totaled, insurance added a portion of the price I had paid for tires a few months before + all add ons.

If you do the buyback, find out what's required in your state to re-title. You may have to do some repairs to pass inspection and get it re-titled.
2019 CC F350
2017 Impact 312 Toyhauler
2014 Yamaha grizzly 700 (mine)
2013 Yamaha grizzly 550 (hers)
1998 Kawi Prairie 400 (boys)

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on renting. The normal outfits don't allow towing, but Enterprise Trucks does, as well as United Rentals and other rental outfits. And if you do trips where you drive a few hours, park for a week, then go home, a regular U-haul would work too. The E450 units can tow up to 10,000.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
LanceRKeys wrote:
How much would it cost to rent a truck for 10-15 days a year?

Good though.

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
How much would it cost to rent a truck for 10-15 days a year?

silverfz
Explorer
Explorer
Geigo started with 15k and after neg I was able to get 17k.

Seems the used truxk market is absolute mad . I am going to see a 2015 ram 2500 crewcab work truck with 6.4 for 26k with 88k miles. Just get an idea.

Thanks for the input. I will think even more
2014 avenger 28 bhs
2008 Toyota tundra crew max
guarded by bear the mini dashound
running from payload police edition

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
AAMCO doesn’t generally give me the warm fuzzies. And now that the truck is totaled, they can likely walk away from any warranty that it had.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Put your ass in a brand new truck with your $17,000 downpayment.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I vote with Time2roll but then buy it back. I would bet that the difference for a new truck would be at least $30K or $400/mo. So $480 a day for cosmetic damage for each day that you use it for a new truck is pretty expensive. I guess it just depends on how much a dollar is worth to you vs a pretty truck.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
X2 Geo*Boy.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Take the money.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take the money, the truck is 13 years old and damaged. Toyota is offering 2.9% for 72 months, Ram has 0% on some half ton models and there should be end of the year deals available.
Just checked, a 2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, Crew Max, 4 WD is around 42,500.00 before negotiating, with $17,000.00 down @ 2.9% for 72 months = under $390.00 per month.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
silverfz wrote:
So now geico has totalled the truck and offering 17k. ...anyway crazy i cannot find anything close to this price for the 10 days i use the truck in a year.I did put brand new tires and brakes before it.
Have geico find you a similar Tundra for the offer price or ask for more.
Brakes, tires, transmission do not add to the retail value.