cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Higher end brands?

Bite_N_Hold
Explorer
Explorer
So we are in the market for a different TT. We currently own an Open Range and like the quality of it. Seems very well built and good quality. Having said that, this is our second TT after a smaller Forest River Hybrid. So what are are some brands that are of better build quality? Less issues with leaks, slideout issues, good resale value......Any info would be great!!!
38 REPLIES 38

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Good excuse for a cross country trip! :B
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Bite_N_Hold
Explorer
Explorer
The issue is that I am on the east coast and all the higher end brands are west coast built.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Lance Factory Tour

You'd be happy with a Lance, built well and awesome on the inside too!

Take a look at them:

Lance Campers (Travel Trailers)

They've been around 51 years
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
The top tier quality brands Airstream, Bigfoot, Oliver and Escape don't have roof leaking issues because they don't use membrane roofs. If you have a thin piece of rubber or TPO with seams all the way around you're going to have leaks eventually.

Top tier brands also don't have slide issues because they don't have slides. None of them have wood roof decking and with the exception of airstream don't have wall studs. Some things are nice not to have like corner seams, delamination and additional caulk points. Sometimes less is better. Lack of a slide is the reason I don't still own my BigFoot. There are always trade offs.

platbr
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I *think* you can add Grand Design to the list. Not as nicely built as Arctic Fox (I found some sneaky places where GD saves mmoney) but still much better than the avg.

We were looking at a Grand Design this last week, and we were impressed by some of the things the designers came up with. I'd be very curious (as we consider the GD) what are the areas you found where they cheat and save money?

For reference, we are looking for a mid-length bunkhouse model, considering the Grand Design 2400BH and also the Camplite CL21BHS.

nickdarr
Explorer
Explorer
We are on our second Outdoors RV. The first one was great. We love the thicker sides and insulation. We took that trailer all over the states in all kind of weather and we were always a comfortable temperature. We outgrew it and bought the second larger one. Both were Creekside models. The second one has been less impressive from a quality control standpoint. A lot of problems with the dinette separating from the slide and the slide sagging. We are now going to be peplacing the tongue jack for the second time. We have owned several trailers and this is the first one we have needed to replace the tongue jack.I could go on. The second is a 2016, so it is not old and we bought it new. It has been disappointing. Not sure where I would go next, but am not sure we will do a Creekside again.
Darren, Peggy, two kids, and the Poodle pair
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab PSD
2016 Outdoors Creekside 27DBHS

OldSmokey
Explorer
Explorer
Bite N Hold wrote:
Airstreams are nice but we need a lot of room with slide outs. Going to check into Outdoors RV, Arctic Fox, and another Open Range. Are there any of the mid tier to high end brands that are less prone to roof and slide out leaks?

I would recommend the Outdoors RV too.. ours is solid, reasonably well made for an RV.. well insulated.

LAJMINNIEPLUS
Explorer
Explorer
Bite N Hold wrote:
So we are in the market for a different TT. We currently own an Open Range and like the quality of it. Seems very well built and good quality. Having said that, this is our second TT after a smaller Forest River Hybrid. So what are are some brands that are of better build quality? Less issues with leaks, slideout issues, good resale value......Any info would be great!!!

I highly recommend that you check out Winnebago Minnies or Minnie Plus. They are very well made. Check out the Minnie Facebook page and ask questions. You will get a lot of responses wrt to the build quality.

aclay
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Lance and,Arctic Fox are two that come to mind. Airstream of course. But who wants to pay their prices.

This.
2012 Chevrolet 3500 Duramax CC SRW 4x4, 2013 Sprinter 311BHS, DW, 3 boys, & 2 dogs...
Campingourway Blog

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
There sure is a lot of speculation about quality, labor force, factory size and location.

When Detroit or the Japanese have a brisk upturn in sales does the car quality take a nose dive?

The fact is TTs are built to a market price point. The construction methods are unique to the industry. What might be shoddy or poor design in home construction may be acceptable in the RV world. But then, what might be acceptable in a Chevy might be shoddy in a Ferrari.

There are classic blunders for sure, and every time I have to delve into the inner workings of my 7 year old TT I am amazed at the short cuts I find.

But that is the nature of the beast. If you want better design and assembly practices, be prepared to pay more. The RV industry has figured out how to give the majority of the public what they want at a price they are willing to pay. I would not expect any significant changes any time soon.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Northwood (no S on the end of the name) which makes Nash, Fox Mountain, Desert Fox, Arctic Fox and a few other brands.

Outdoors RV

Both companies are in LaGrande, OR
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
As far as I know Northwood MFG has not expanded their production facilities. They're still only running 3 lines of production. You can go on their Facebook site and see what units are coming offline. Maybe thats why they're still doing well as far as quality goes. They may not be perfect, but when you run the same production levels you can control quality better. Many of the Elkhart plants are adding more production facilities to try and get as much of the new buyer wave as they can. Hard to control quality when you can't even fill your current job openings.

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
Outdoors RV, Livin Lite, Lance

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Bite N Hold wrote:
...just something that will last and feels solid.

With the economy rolling again, RV sales are up, but I think quality is down, do to the demand.

Any of the "eggshell" (2 piece fiberglass) seem to have better than average life expectancy although they are quite small.

The CampLite series are interesting because they are 100% aluminum. The only wood is in the cabinet doors. Not sure about their roof-to-wall connection, but if it leaks, it won't rot the floor !

We've had our Camplite 21BHS for coming up on 4 years now. It's been a great trailer and extremely solid. Everything in the camper, walls, door frames, even the cabinets are integral to the frame of the camper. It is just as solid now as when we first purchased it. And as stated, no wood to rot.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle