cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Miles??

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
My 2004 Silverado has over 370K "official" miles on it. The engine was replaced at 189K and trans was just replaced (brakes, alternator belts, hoses, rotors replaced at various times).

I've noticed that some of you have been looking at older trucks and suvs. What is considered high miles these days? I looked at a 2018 Traverse with 60,000 plus miles. We could put 40 on that puppy in less than two years and be facing another repair/replace scenario. Also looking at trucks...with the same questions. What is high miles? DH and I are not DIY's and use dealer services.

We're also past our "best by" date...Him late 70s and me at 70. Thanks in advance for advice and experience! CTS
31 REPLIES 31

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
I am not sure of your budget, but I would suggest that you look at a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) vehicle. You may also find a GMC Acadia or Buick Enclave as good fit. The Buicks had a longer warranty, and a certified provides a 1 year warranty and 100.000/6yr powertrain warranty (from initial delivery date). I saw some 2019 vehicles with 30k miles, that would give you another 70k through mid 2025. I really liked the Acadia that I took drove to Kansas and back in 5 days.

Thank you!

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure of your budget, but I would suggest that you look at a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) vehicle. You may also find a GMC Acadia or Buick Enclave as good fit. The Buicks had a longer warranty, and a certified provides a 1 year warranty and 100.000/6yr powertrain warranty (from initial delivery date). I saw some 2019 vehicles with 30k miles, that would give you another 70k through mid 2025. I really liked the Acadia that I took drove to Kansas and back in 5 days.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
Well folks....this has been quite a conversation! I appreciate everyone's perspective. We do plan to keep the old truck...certainly not bragging about the high miles. It's just like a comfy pair of jeans and DH says he'll drive it to the golf course and goofing off till it won't go.
The new vehicle would be our daily driver and traveler.
Thanks to everyone!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Grit Dog Wrote:
Even old low mile vehicles will have more “issues” than new. Bought a 2006 with 32k miles last year. Perfect care, condition and maint. Literally as new. So far, it’s had a bad alternator and now steering pump. And I’ve taken care of other known costly issues before they happened. I’m into it maybe $400 in parts. That would be several times that much with shop rates.

Grits says it all
There is a certain pay me now or pay me layer aspect to it all I had been buying 3 year old 35K mile trucks and keeping them until they were worn out at 300K miles. What I found is by not buying that truck new I seem to have maintenance items right way. Nothing catastrophic just normal wear items.
I needed brakes, or tie rods, or something. What I saved by buying used I spent on required maintenance

My latest 2019 truck I purchased new, I have had zero issues going into my 3rd year just fuel and oil. Granted I have a rather large payment, but I will have a loan either way.
Buying new I was able to get a more competitive purchase price, and zero repairs cost. I keep my vehicles forever depreciation is a non factor.
While the verdict is not fully in buying new has its benefits.
Buying used is not always the best bargain.
My truck is my daily driver. I drive 30K miles annually.
If your truck is not driven regularly used becomes more attractive, simply because new trucks are generally too expensive to be garage queens.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
BTW, my parents complained about the cost of new vehicles compared to the “good ole days” some 20-40 years ago. No different now.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The perspective is, some here will boast about how many miles they have on their vehicles and indirectly look down their nose at those who aren’t in the quarter million mile club.
There are various reasons for this, but the fact remains, as miles go up, the propensity for a break down increases.
OP, you are in the position now where you’ve unfortunately put far more into the truck in the last 2 years than it’s worth.
And realizing that, you recognize it’s time to move up to a newer vehicle.
I’m almost 50 years old and do most all my own work and enjoy working on vehicles and I’m not in favor of running an old high mile clunker to save a buck. And my cost to keep one up is only a small fraction of yours going to a shop.
Unfortunately you’re also shopping now when vehicle prices in general are high.
But that said, inflation and power/convenience/amenities/safety standards are increasing the prices as well.
Start searching now for the best deal you can on the newest vehicle you can afford and stop obsessing over the cost. You can’t change that. But if you don’t want to change your lifestyle, get a new vehicle and be done with it.

Even old low mile vehicles will have more “issues” than new. Bought a 2006 with 32k miles last year. Perfect care, condition and maint. Literally as new. So far, it’s had a bad alternator and now steering pump. And I’ve taken care of other known costly issues before they happened. I’m into it maybe $400 in parts. That would be several times that much with shop rates.

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Valhalla. I've been a bit wary of vehicles with over 70k miles. But I see recalls for new and newish. I have a friend who's wife will NOT let go of her Suburban. Just put a new engine in it...even though it sheds rust at every wash. I needed fresh perspective.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
covetsthesun wrote:
And this is exactly where we are. Spent $5k last year...already $5k this year. I've always been a stickler for regular maintenance... least little squeak or vibration and it's in the shop to find out why. Got stranded in Florida last year for a week because the front brakes had to be replaced. And... yes they were thoroughly checked out pre trip. A caliper went bad and BANG!

Even the best of techs can't predict what may go wrong. I get that. That's why I come here and ask questions. Y'all are a huge well of experience and knowledge. You just can't get that anywhere else.

Brother-in-Law bought a brand new F350, less than a year later needed a new axle because something hung up with the parking brake (never got the full story and they wouldn't cover it under warranty), stuff can happen regardless of age and maintenance.

But if you are dumping $5k/yr into the truck, I would be replacing it. We bought a nice F250 3yrs back with 150k miles for $10k and have put 50k miles on it so far with about 10k towing. Had a caliper freeze up when it sat one winter while we were working overseas and had a front set of bearings go out. Otherwise, we just drive it and regular maintenance.

Compared to $60-80k for an equivalent new truck (which could have had the same issues), hard to beat the price.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Very true. A hundred thousand miles on a car from the 50's and 60's was nearly unheard of without some kind of overhaul or serious work being done. Now a hundred thousand miles is common and unremarked upon.

Very true. I think the average new vehicle lasts around 20yrs & 200-250k miles.

I would say 370k is getting into bragging rights but if you replace the entire drivetrain along with other major components, you can keep just about any vehicle going forever, so it kind of negates the bragging and financially, if you are dumping several thousand per year into the truck to keep it going, it's likely going to be cheaper to buy a 10yr old vehicle that is in good running condition.

We usually look at around 80-120k and 10yrs or younger. Still reliable and at typically 1/5th the price of new. Even if we have a few minor repairs, we are still way ahead (which we really haven't had).

And this is exactly where we are. Spent $5k last year...already $5k this year. I've always been a stickler for regular maintenance... least little squeak or vibration and it's in the shop to find out why. Got stranded in Florida last year for a week because the front brakes had to be replaced. And... yes they were thoroughly checked out pre trip. A caliper went bad and BANG!

Even the best of techs can't predict what may go wrong. I get that. That's why I come here and ask questions. Y'all are a huge well of experience and knowledge. You just can't get that anywhere else.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
fj12ryder wrote:
Very true. A hundred thousand miles on a car from the 50's and 60's was nearly unheard of without some kind of overhaul or serious work being done. Now a hundred thousand miles is common and unremarked upon.

Very true. I think the average new vehicle lasts around 20yrs & 200-250k miles.

I would say 370k is getting into bragging rights but if you replace the entire drivetrain along with other major components, you can keep just about any vehicle going forever, so it kind of negates the bragging and financially, if you are dumping several thousand per year into the truck to keep it going, it's likely going to be cheaper to buy a 10yr old vehicle that is in good running condition.

We usually look at around 80-120k and 10yrs or younger. Still reliable and at typically 1/5th the price of new. Even if we have a few minor repairs, we are still way ahead (which we really haven't had).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
I have over 500k kms/310k miles and just did a 1000kms trip this past weekend. Trailer is only 8k lbs. Truck is my daily driver.

Wouldn't hesitate to drive it 5x that for a trip. I'm the guy that does all the work on it so I have only one person to blame for any issues, but I'm also the guy that got it this far.

Depends on your comfort zone. It's the little things that get me now, a leaky PS hose, sensors but I'm not worried about the engine or tranny grenading. Truck has never stranded me.

Regular engine and transmission maintenance, brakes, suspension, steering and electrical service are all part of owning any vehicle including a new one. They are maintenance items and all wear out long before engines and transmissions do.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. We need a second vehicle that is reliable for long road trips. Our current 04 Silverado had made it clear that...at 370K plus miles...it may leave us stranded. Again. I'm seeing a lot of "pre owned" vehicles with 70 to 150k miles for sale and the prices for them caused sticker shock. That's why I asked about what is "high miles" these days. I've looked at Traverse..they are nice and roomy although not a truck. I've looked at Suburban and Tahoe as well. And trucks. Our lifestyle today is not what it was in 2004. In 5-10 years it will be vastly different than now. We are just trying to think this through. And where else would I come for experience and advice??? Here of course LOL!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
If the OP is looking at midsize front wheel drive unibody suvs, so not sure where a 3/4 ton Ram comes in to that picture, but?

The OP started out about replacing a 2004 Silverado, I know Chevy's are considered lightweights by some but "Midsize front wheel drive unibody" seems a little demeaning.

And some of the suv's are capable of towing.

And i didnt see anything limiting the frame of the question to SUV's.
My old 2500 Ram is still going, neighbor bought it a few years ago, just rolled 300k the old transmission gave out at 250k other than that and two water pumps it's been reliable.

What type of vehicle is a Chevy Traverse in your neck of the woods?
That’s what the OP said she (or he) was looking at in the first post.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
High miles is relative to the owner's care given along its life. The good thing is you have received good value out of the vehicle and you can quit and give it away at any time. That is freedom. New or newer truck you are a bit locked in to get your value out. I would keep on truckin'. I'm at 205k and no intention to trade unless I move to a MH.