cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with auxiliary fuel tank decision or replacement.

Keithk3628
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to decide between a 50 gallon Titan replacement tank or a 28 gallon auxiliary tank added to my bed.

My thinking is the Titan is probably best except for one thing, I put very little use or miles on the truck for 8-9 months of the year and I am worried that 50 gallons of fuel could go bad in that kind of time frame.

I always keep my tank full or as close to full as possible inorder to prevent condensation in the tank, and 50 gallons will sit in the tank for months with the occasional top off.

If I went with the auxiliary tank I am thinking I could leave it dry for the idle time and only fill when I am traveling for the 2-3 months pulling our 5ver.

I have a 2016 F350 with a Reflex roll up bed cover so the auxiliary tank will be small and in front of the hitch, but below the bed cover. I have priced both and the cost installed the way I want is pretty close with either tank.

So I am looking for some advice from those who may be more knowledgable or experienced and would appreciate any comments on my decision. Thanks for your thoughts.

Keith
29 REPLIES 29

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I have 32 gallon capacity, I really miss the 35 I had on my pre DEF RAM. No way am I going to loose any of my tool box capacity with a fuel/storage tool box. So I modified a 5 gallon container to get rid of the BS "safety" features. I have needed to use it only once.

"IF" i were to do anything it would be a TITAN 55 gallon replacement tank.

I have 4 of these 5 gallon jugs that I'm going to drill holes in them like this. It's takes forever to fill up my tractor, or a skid steer.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2naEagle wrote:
I agree with everyone except Cummins12V98 (sorry man). I absolutely love my auxiliary tank and will not be without it.

Like I said “to each their own” 🙂
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
For me personally I would and am going the Titan midship replacement route. One I dont want to lose the bed space even though I have a long bed. My truck gets used for other reasons besides towing our fifth wheel. Nor do I want to mess with the additional plumbing etc that goes on with an in bad tank. Nor mess with filling an additional tank. I know the last two reasons are really not that important. I remember I had a 1974 Chevy that came with saddle tanks with a valve right next to the seat that I could just flip anytime I needed or wanted well as long as there was fuel in the other tank. I am guessing the DOT had something to say about those old saddle tanks that sat outside the frame rails back then. I don't remember seeing them as an option not too long after that year.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
I have a portable 14 gallon tank I use at home for my boat or jetski, and have put it in the truck for road trips. When we go full time next year it will go with us, and I may even add a second.
Something you may want to consider.
https://www.amazon.com/DuraMax-Fluid-Transfer-14-Gallon-Rolling/dp/B000MT94QA/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1537296834&sr=8-11&keywords=boat+gas+tank+portable

Keithk3628
Explorer
Explorer
Really appreciate all the thoughts and your experience. From the majority it seems I am over thinking the fuel going bad in either the aux tank or the replacement Titan 50 gallon.

I am definitely going for the additional fuel capacity, now to just make a decision of aux or replacement.

Thanks for any and all thoughts, I will keep looking at your ideas and recommendations, appreciate it.

Keith

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
2naEagle wrote:
I agree with everyone except Cummins12V98 (sorry man). I absolutely love my auxiliary tank and will not be without it.
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
To each their own. Today’s Truck Stops are very nice. They are convient and I know I can easily maneuver my 41’ 5er especially when I am double towing my MC trailer. Sure they can be more expensive, I really don’t care. I stopped tripping over dimes long ago. When I get to camp I really don’t want to have to go to town for fuel.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love my 40 gallon auxiliary tank, it allows me to pick my stopping points and don't have to spend time in noisy, stinky truck stops because I know I can get in and out easily with the 5th wheel attached. I fuel up at the end of the day after the truck is unhitched, easy peasy. And I figure I use fuel more often than I use tools. 🙂

Since we use the truck almost exclusively for towing it sits for several months between usage. Usually from the end of October to the middle of May usually. If I can remember I put in some fuel treatment when I fill the tanks for winter, but sometimes I forget. It's never been an issue in over 8 years. I always keep the tanks full to lessen condensation in the tanks. Just old school thinking maybe, but so far so good.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have 32 gallon capacity, I really miss the 35 I had on my pre DEF RAM. No way am I going to loose any of my tool box capacity with a fuel/storage tool box. So I modified a 5 gallon container to get rid of the BS "safety" features. I have needed to use it only once.

"IF" i were to do anything it would be a TITAN 55 gallon replacement tank.

dmck413
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 40 gallon in bed tank. Enough to tow all day

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I would not worry about condensation especially in Florida where the temp changes are not that drastic. I have a 50 gallon Titan in an 08 Duramax. I have 150K on the pickup and no issues. I would not want to lose the bed space but to each their own.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 60 gallon auxiliary tank in my truck. Bought it when my truck was brand new. Best upgrade I have done so far.

My truck is used almost exclusively to tow, so it also sits during the winter. I haven’t had problems with fuel sitting yet.

If I had a short bed I would probably want the replacement tank to save bed space. But that is a lot of cost for not a lot of extra capacity.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
We have an 85 gallon aux. tank with an electric pump for over 30 years. When traveling we buy diesel fuel at best price for the distance.
When at home we empty it then refuel wih gasoline for the car, mowers, again at our price and convenience.
Buying fuel in volume saves up to 20% Payed for that tank in no time. My truck is our gas station.

SDM
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 30 gallon tank in bed. We only use in spring, summer, and fall. In the winter I keep 5 gallon so the tank has some action to help keep clean. When I need fuel I use the 5 in the bed tank and fill the underbed tank and put 5 gallon fresh fuel in bed tank. No problems in 12 years.