cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hellwig Bigwigs

zulu52
Explorer
Explorer
I finally decided to make the upgrade to see if I can remedy the sway issue I have when the camper is loaded.

I ordered the Hellwig Bigwig anti-sway bar for the rear of my 2015 Chevy 2500HD, 4X4, long bed,crew cab, SRW, gas engine. Northstar 8.5 Arrow.

I will be installing them myself.

I'm not the greatest mechanic but I have all the tools needed and know how to use them
I already installed mt Torklift tie downs myself.
I consider myself pretty handy.

Can anyone give me any hints for the install? I haven't been able to find a YouTube video of a 2015 Chevy install.

Thanks,
Zulu
39 REPLIES 39

Dog_bite
Explorer
Explorer
I’m jealous now. I want to go on a trip out west

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Great pics! Welcome back to H town.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice pics ... looks awesome.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

zulu52
Explorer
Explorer
Back from our trip.
Texas, Oklahoma Colorado, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Utah, New Mexico.
6,260 miles in 40 days. Could have used more time.

The Hellwig Bigwig anti-sway bar made a big difference. Especially in those horrid Montana winds. I highly recommend them.

The Honda 3000 came in pretty handy on the few nights we needed air conditioning.

Overall, a great trip!

Zulu

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
That is the rig of a man about to go live some good life!
I love camper “support trailers” too.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Let us know how you like the sway bar after you get some "loaded up" miles on it.
I just returned from a quick trip to Heber Springs Arkansas. Mostly a shake down cruise for the new dually. Drove like a sports car. But I can really tell the difference in ride with the truck empty. I loosened the jam nuts on one hanger and ran them up an inch or so. Helped the ride a lot. It's back to
facory dually ride.
I like that trailer! I have a 14 ft single axle utility trailer. Years ago I had 2 racks made for it to haul a pirogue for duck hunting. Your pic reminds me to shop for a canoe.
I'm just across town in Liberty.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

zulu52
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like I'm going to find out how the Bigwigs work.
Also the new Honda 3000.:B

Zulu

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
stevenal wrote:
I guess you installed it correctly. Roadmaster looks higher.

I have a Roadmaster on my dually and it is higher. I bought the Roadmaster because the way it mounts to the truck.

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
I guess you installed it correctly. Roadmaster looks higher.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Griffon12
Explorer
Explorer
It's nice that they have adjustment holes on the bar itself. The Dodge ones don't have that option.
1992 Chevy K3500 4X4, utility bed w/custom 1994 Alaskan C/O
2004 Ram 2500 4x4 QC 2010 Lance 825 Kore Chase suspension Hellwig Big Wig Swaybar Big Wig bags Toyo tires

zulu52
Explorer
Explorer
The assembly instructions say that the bottom of the bar needs to be level with the bottom of the differential housing.
That is how it is.
You get it that way by adjusting the end links until everything is level and in place.

Here is the link to the instructions that say what to do.
Look at page 4, Item #11.
This is for Model #7270 which is for my 2015 Chevy 2500HD

https://www.carid.com/images/hellwig/suspension-systems/pdf/7270-installation-instructions.pdf

Zulu

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree it looks really low. I think I'd send that picture to Hellwig to see what they think.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Looks a bit low from here. Can't you spin those u-bolts around the axle a bit to get better ground clearance?
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

zulu52
Explorer
Explorer
Kudos to Hellwig!!!
I had the proper bolts in my hands 22 hours after contacting Hellwig by email yesterday.
I just sent them a thank you email.

I was able to finish the installation today.
I did it all by myself and probably have 2 1/2 hours in it.

I think it went together better than I expected it to. Everything fit.
It would have been a little easier to have help lifting the heavy bar while bolting it into place but I managed.

It was suggested that I remove the spare tire and the plastic shroud over the fuel tank. I did not have to do that. I managed to do everything without removing anything.

I couldn't really tell any difference in my test drive but my truck is empty.
We will see how it works when I have the camper loaded.

Thanks for all the comments.
This forum rocks!!!
Zulu