Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Height Issues with 3/4 ton truck!

ksu_j
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks,

I'm hoping this is the right place to ask this question. My parents recently purchased a 2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD. The height of this new truck is crazy tall. They are getting up there in years now and for my Mom especially, stepping into the truck is an issue. This truck ALREADY has nerf bars that lower the step in height, but it's still 5 or so inches higher than their 2007 1500HD was.

Do you all have any add-ons, upgrades, ideas for how to make it easier on my Mom to get into the truck. Is there such a thing as a supplemental "add-on" step or something? Or nerf bars or running boards that hang down extra low or something? They won't be doing any offroading, so ground clearance isn't an issue.

One idea I've wondered, is they do not need this truck to sit so high. is there a way to lower it from how it's designed at the factory? It almost looks lifted, but I know it's not. It's just that tall from the factory!!!
2002 25' KZ Frontier
2005 GMC Yukon XL Denali
20 REPLIES 20

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Amp steps.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
If you haven't bought aftermarket steps / ladders in the past, get Heavy Duty ones! There are a LOT of cheap **** truck steps available that seem like a good buy, but are junk. Also, make sure they are installed securely and properly. You may want a body shop to install them... just make sure they are secure and don't move around.

The side bars / steps / nerf bars that came on my truck from the factory are awesome, are still rock solid after 10 years, and have no rust on them. Other people I know who install similar aftermarket parts end up with weak, wobbly, rusty parts.

I use the steps on my truck all the times, and also use the huge grab bar similar to what you can see in the picture by MFL.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Did the dealer put on a lift kit...after the test drive?

As others have said, as long as they aren't into off roading, just put on a step that is lower.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
ktmrfs wrote:
One thing you might look into are the electrically operated bars that retract when the door closes and extend when the doors open. these often come down lower than the factory nerf bars and may solve your problem. But they aren't cheap!

AMP Research Steps. (Amp Research is the brand name)

LINK to them

My dad has them on his 2006 2500HD They drop down lower than factory steps and nerf bars.

I'm sure there's plenty of videos about them on YouTube
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you looked into lowering the existing tube steps. When I bought the running boards for our Ram, the seller offered to install, was going to attach to the bottom lip of the cab making them only about 3" lower than the door sill. I dropped them about 3" lower made a nice step.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
My Mom had a plastic stool with a rope tied to it. She would step on the stool on to the running boards and in the dually she would go .Then she would pull the stool in with the rope.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
We carry a plastic step stool. Still working on training the dog to drag it out and back in the van 🙂
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
If it's a 2wd truck you could lower the suspension. That doesn't work so well with 4wd trucks however. I would look into a power step. They pop down when you open the door and retract up under the truck when you close the door.

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of step options from power to fixed. I had a little plastic step for the DW to get in the last truck. I got tired of having to get it for her so tied a rope to it and she could pull it up in the truck after she got in and lower it out when we stopped.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Purchase or lift a plastic milk crate... {problem solved).
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Look for boat dock steps and find a two to 3 step lightweight model that can be carried in the back of the truck.
https://www.westmarine.com/dock-steps

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
I had to install running boards and a tailgate step on my F-250 to make it accessible for my wife as a passenger and for me to get into the bed of the truck. We're both short people with knee problems so these add-ons were must haves for us. There are a lot of options as far as running boards but the tailgate step I have is similar to this...

https://www.carid.com/truck-bed-steps.html

It's spring loaded and retracts back up against the bumper after use.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Power steps maybe.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Find a local place that deals in pickup accessories, and trim and aftermarket equipment. Just make sure they also install. Bring the truck in and have a talk with them, letting them see and hear EXACTLY what results you're looking for. From lowering kits to automatic steps to a number of extra hand grips and handles, these guys should be able to come up with one or a combination of solutions to meet your needs.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus