cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heater output in Outfitter apex8.5?

THOM_CEIJE
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 'new to me' 2008 Outfitter Apex 8.5. The heater (SF-20) runs but, doesn't get hot as I think it should. The inside blowing air is marginally warmer than the camper air and the outside exhaust is only a little warmer than that.
With 5 degrees outside temps and 3 hours of running the camper was still VERY cold (see your breath cold).
I wonder if anyone has any ideas for me to research or try.
Thanx for the help. I would post pix if it was easier.
Thom
7 REPLIES 7

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I almost always get wasp/hornet nests in my furnace outlet when not using it. That's one thing to check.

x12 on the propane regulator. Does your stove work ok? That's a clue to regulator issues.

There's a few of us on the forum that have a lot of experience with Outfitter TCs. And are likely willing to help you with issues like this.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

THOM_CEIJE
Explorer
Explorer
Thanx all for the great replies. I will dig into it this weekend.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on your regulator as mentioned by Joerg.

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
What is your outside temperature? Well below freezing, I suppose?
Has it done this before?
Does the stovetop work as it should?
I had an Apex 8 from 2011 to 2016. 75 and up was no problem with freezing temperatures outside.
The problem may not be the heater but the fuel source.
In very cold temperatures, your regulator may be frozen.
I once had an LPG bottle that had the wrong mixture of propane/butane. Butane does not gas out under 30F or so. The bottle did not produce enough gas for heating when it was cold. Hence my questions above. If in doubt, can you change to a known good LPG source and test again?
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

996Pilot
Explorer
Explorer
Check the burner, make sure you're getting a full, optimal flame. My furnace in my Apex 8 stayed a bit on the cool side until I dove into it and re-routed all of the outputs (and closed off two of them). Make sure all of the ducts are sealed properly and there are no leaks. Look at the furnace enclosure and make sure none of the removable duct ports are missing. Mine had two that fell out and I was heating behind the cabinets. Reinstalled the 3" plates that fell out and viola, more heat/air coming out of the ducted vents in the camper.
2018 Arctic Fox 811
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Timbren SES, Lower Stableloads
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED
2006 Outfitter Apex 8 TRADED

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your SF20 is a Suburban 20,000btu furnace
It should be able to warm up/maintain a small trailer

Only warm exhaust means burner is NOT functioning properly.

Dirty, clogged/blocked burner slots, low propane pressure etc resulting in a very low yellow flame vs a STRONG BLUE (HOT) Flame

Here is an Installation/Operating Manual
LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

kayco53
Explorer
Explorer
That does not sound right. I camp all the time at those temps (Sking) and my camper would be toasty. By heater is a suburban seq 16000btu unit made for TC's mostly. The air coming into the unit is quite warm but not really hot.Sounds like partly clogged main burner or something. Can you see burner through a peep hole?
Either way I would get it checked.Good Luck
2007 GMC 2500hd
2011 Creekside 23RKS