Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

heat and Li batteries.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Folks,

I hope this is of use.

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2023-07-13/how-a-heat-wave-will-hurt-your-ev-battery

It may behoove folks in such hot areas to provide cooling for their battery bank--either by having it in the living quarters (which I'm personally loath to do), or by some other method of cooling.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
26 REPLIES 26

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ole ‘tuna, does it ever get tiring stirring that pot?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
3 tons wrote:
I believe this article would be less misleading were your heading to read ‘EV batteries and hot weather’… In it’s present form one might conclude it’s content applies to Lithium Iron Phosphate chemistry (LiFePo4) commonly used as RV House batteries…

Also after so many of your previous seemingly uninformed, diversionary LFP post, one might also conclude that this was intentional…(legacy matters…)

3 tons

Where’s the like button? Cause you get one for this post!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
3 tons wrote:
markchengr wrote:
Lithium iron phosphate batteries are lithium ion batteries. Same thing. The iron and phosphate are in the form of ions.

Thanks for informing us that all lithium ion batteries are the same thing…

3 tons

When it was strongly implied that they are "diiiiiiiferent" earlier in the thread, seems like a useful point to make.

While they all have "lithium" the chemistry of batteries typically found in portable electronics and that found in electric cars (and used in RV's) are not only very different but also have different operating (and danger!) characteristics.

While not exactly 'apples vs oranges' it is not 'apples vs apples' ether.

Explanation of the different types of Li-ion battery chemistries

- Mark0.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
3 tons wrote:
markchengr wrote:
Lithium iron phosphate batteries are lithium ion batteries. Same thing. The iron and phosphate are in the form of ions.

3 tons

When it was strongly implied that they are "diiiiiiiferent" earlier in the thread, seems like a useful point to make.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
markchengr wrote:

yes, but it's the chemical composition that controls the properties. LFP batteries have a wider range than what is used in cars.

it was 46C here yesterday and my LFP batter in the camper didn't spontaneously combust.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
markchengr wrote:

3 tons

markchengr
Explorer
Explorer

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:
Many phones reduce charge/discharge rates beyond 95 degrees Fahrenheit due to their battery chemistry.

Lithium ION as previously pointed out. True.
But how many truck campers have Lithium ION batteries?

Lithium Iron Phosphate, according to the manufacturer's information have a working temperature between 32 and 130 degrees as I recall.

Yesterday:

Still plenty of room to move. . .
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Bedlam
Many phones reduce charge/discharge rates beyond 95 degrees Fahrenheit due to their battery chemistry.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
The excessive heat shortens the life of all batteries. Not unique to lithium of which others may suffer even more.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Optimum upper temp is 113 degrees but they are fine and perfectly safe up to 140+. Also, every one I've seen has high temp cut-off.
At any rate, if it's that hot, we've got more serious issues.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
I believe this article would be less misleading were your heading to read ‘EV batteries and hot weather’… In it’s present form one might conclude it’s content applies to Lithium Iron Phosphate chemistry (LiFePo4) commonly used as RV House batteries…

Also after so many of your previous seemingly uninformed, diversionary LFP post, one might also conclude that this was intentional…(legacy matters…)

3 tons