cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hard Water

Barkoff
Explorer
Explorer
We have extreme hard water in town and no water softener, I'm afraid enemy using filters when I fill the Lance, that the water will still crud up the pump and water heater. Do any of you use liquid water softener when you fill your water tank?
8 REPLIES 8

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Barkoff wrote:
rav wrote:
X2 the On The Go is nice to have . we use ours a lot, I use a whole house filter before the softener.

I do have a good filter on my line, but I think it's going to take a chemical solution to keep my house water from crudding up my pump and water heater.
I'll look into "X2"...is it just for this precaution?

I would rather use store bought water for cooking and drinking, and dump some chemicals in my tank to protect the camper.

Once again.......

The liquid or powder 'softener' is for use in washing machine to soften your clothes.

IT is NOT what you want to put in your fresh water tank to 'soften' the hard water supply!!!!
It is NOT something you want running thru your plumbing lines or water heater.

You want to treat the hard water supply when filling your fresh water tank OR even when hooked up to city water connection...........
THEN you want to buy a PORTABLE WATER SOFTENER
On-The-GO is one brand
Flowpur is one brand
Waterstick is one brand

They ALL uses resin beads that remove minerals/calcium via ION Exchange. They are good for 800-1000 gallons depending on hardness of supply water then you do a 'simple regeneration' of the resin by pouring box of table salt into softener....let it soak then rinse and good to go.

Our softener is 7 yrs old and still works great.

Portable softener connected to hose with filters and whatever to fill fresh water tank

BUT NOT Liquid/Powder softener.........
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

gitpicker2009
Explorer
Explorer
I actually work as an engineer for a water softening company and can tell you that unless you're using an Ion Exchange resin (softener), there really is no practical way to remove the calcium carbonate. A softener basically trades the ions of sodium or potassium chloride for the ions of the calcium. Only by removing the calcium carbonate and calcium sulfate can you truly have soft water.
The good news is that there are several very small units sold specifically for RV's that can be hooked up when you connect to whatever campsite you're parked at (assuming you're in one with services) You can also fill your tanks with the treated water before you leave.
These smaller units do not backflush automatically, but require that you clean them manually by drawing a saltwater brine into them (actually pretty easy using a bucket and rock salt you buy at home depot etc.) So every couple of hundred gallons or so, you'd have to clean the unit.
If you do a search for "RV water softener" you can find several very reasonably priced units.

Barkoff
Explorer
Explorer
rav wrote:
X2 the On The Go is nice to have . we use ours a lot, I use a whole house filter before the softener.

I do have a good filter on my line, but I think it's going to take a chemical solution to keep my house water from crudding up my pump and water heater.
I'll look into "X2"...is it just for this precaution?

I would rather use store bought water for cooking and drinking, and dump some chemicals in my tank to protect the camper.

trailgranny50
Explorer
Explorer
We have the same issue plus sediment as we're on a well. Always fill tank with pre-filter of some sort and use one at camp sites too. Doesn't get all nasty flavor some places but helps. Worst water ever at some little Lake stop over between Oklahoma and rally last month. Ewww, was it ever bad! Couldn't empty that crud fast enough and just used home water from tank. Dogs wouldn't even drink it and they aren't usually picky.
2004 Chevy 3500 Duramax all stock
1990 950 Shadow Cruiser Hard side multiple add-ons
Ancient Valco 10'x5' John boat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Team
One-eyed Trail Horse and one horse trailer
Rocky, Annie, Muffie traveling Fur Babies

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Not a liquid, a powder maybe.

In fresh water tank???

GEO Method for waste tanks use 'softener;--liquid/powder

rav
Explorer
Explorer

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Not a liquid, a powder maybe.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Liquid water softener :H

That stuff is for use in washing machine..cleaning clothes NOT for fresh water tank.........

Get a portable RV softener.........connects to spigot. Output is then used to fill fresh water tank or connect directly up to city water connection

We have an 'On-The-GO' Brand....use it all the time when in S/W (AZ, TX, NM, UT) etc. where water source is HARD.
Minimizes scaling/deposits on faucets, in water heater, shower etc. OK to drink but like any 'water softener' can add some sodium to water

Other Brands of softeners available
FlowPur
Waterstick