cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Happijack Intermittant Problem

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad
One of my jacks randomly acts up. Slow at times, other times nothing at all.
Slapping the top usually gets it back in service. What goes bad on these?
Seems like a electrical intermittent problem. Looks like I have to remove the
entire jack off the camper to remove the cover off the top.

11 REPLIES 11

beachbum2011
Explorer
Explorer
Happijack new motors design changed wire enters under gear housing.

Old design wires entered side of round motor housing
Clearly there was a design issue
My jacks are over six years old with thousands of miles ,never had to grease lead screw
They manually crank up and down with no effort.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I had one go bad and I now cover the heads with triple gang electrical box vapour barrier gaskets. Looks kinda ghetto but it's cheap and haven't had any more problems.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
As links to the HappiJac PDF files listed in the TCU thread were not working I uploaded again to google-
can be downloaded from

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1dfkxKiCIuDGdBL8Db6SK78Maa9h1ZrbQ?usp=sharing
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had two of these motors leak and die as shown above. I have tried caulk around all the seams. I have also tried covering the motors and tops of the jacks with plastic freezer bags. Happijack clearly has a design issue.

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad
Where is the entry point for water?

beachbum2011
Explorer
Explorer
Had two HappiJack motors die ,started with same symptoms as yours.
inside of electric motor full of water ,bad bad design.

Paradox123
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a wired remote, it could be a bad wire in the remote cable. Try another cable. A plain telephone cable works.

Notakwanon
Explorer
Explorer
Like you, I have also had puzzling intermittent problems with the Happijacks. I recommend you read the sticky at http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22881036.cfm
I used this as my guide in totally disassembling the Happijacks, cleaning and lubricating. Water gets down inside and grease gets stiff on the screw. It is possible to take the motor unit off the top without removing the jack from the camper. I've done that and added oil (better that than water). If the problem is electrical, depending on how your camper is built it may have an ethernet connector where the Happijack controller cable passes thru to the outside. I've replaced mine 3 times in 10 years because of corrosion.
2006 GMC 2500HD 6.6 diesel
2003 Outfitter Apex 9.5

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
My guess is the motor itself if slapping fixes things.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Have a look at the very top of this forum under Truck Camper University. Quite a ways down is some useful information on taking apart the jacks.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if this will help but I have a PDF for maintenance for these jacks. PM me your email address and I can send you the document. It's fairly easy and helped. Also, you can contact Happijak and purchase a refurbished jack if needed. I keep a spare. Lastly, check all your main panel electrical plugs inside the cabinet, mine had one loose. Good luck.