cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guidance using Zamp Solar Controller

wallaceb
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning Forum, I own a 2022 Nash 18FM that came with a Zamp Solar Controller system for my two solar panals. Zamp controllers are new to me. I am getting ready to store the unit for winter for the first time. I will remove and store the AGM battery BUT I am not sure how to "shut down" the controller as the trailer will be under ADCO cover for the winter. I contacted Zamp and obtained the Operators Manual but I don't find info on how to turn the system off and winter storage of same. Any guidance would be appreciated.....Thanks un advance, Wallace B
12 REPLIES 12

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
It has been said that with nothing to charge the panels don't do anything.

^^^^^ This

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
How much does magic blue smoke cost, Don? Toooo much for me!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
From Zamp Solar technical support this morning:

" Zamp Solar
Hi and thank you for contacting Zamp Solar. You can absolutely leave your Controller disconnected from your Batteries over the course of the Winter. You will see a B01 error code but that won't have any risk of harming your system. "

I other words, you do NOT need to disconnect your solar panels.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
disconnect the panels from the controller. Then disconnect the batteries from the controller. Doing it in any other order may let out the magic blue smoke.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
Not true on the "under cover panels will do nothing".
Then he better disconnect them.

My panels are under the cover of a metal roof and the controller says nothing is happening.

metal roof, yes, but under a typical woven cover my experience along with several others is that a 150watt panel will give about 1A under clear sky in the winter. The woven fabric covers are not completely blocking all the wavelengths of light the panels can respond to.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
WindyNation says…”WARNING: Connect the battery BEFORE connecting the solar panel(s).
1) Connect the Battery Connect the charge controller to the battery BEFORE connecting the solar panels to the charge controller.”

I’d disconnect the panels from the controller first if you are planning to remove the batteries.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
If you contacted Zamp already, why didn't you ask them? They have excellent customer service . Just a phone call away. Frankly, as I already said, never an issue for me in past years to leave Zamp as is. there is no off switch. Additional, with battery disconnect switch off, no need to remove batteries anyway . The Zamp controller bypasses that switch and will continue to keep batteries topped up, even with a cover over them.
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
Not true on the "under cover panels will do nothing".
Then he better disconnect them.

My panels are under the cover of a metal roof and the controller says nothing is happening.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Under cover the panels will do nothing, but, since the recommended connection sequence is batteries first, I think I'd disconnect the panels from the controller.

Not true on the "under cover panels will do nothing". Under my ADCO cover and another cover my panels will still give a few amps on sunny days. The reason is that most covers allow some light spectrum through that the panels respond to. Just because us humans can't see through something doesn't mean certain light wavelengths are blocked. An example is the black plastic on entertainment stuff. transparent to Ir but blocks visible light.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Under cover the panels will do nothing, but, since the recommended connection sequence is batteries first, I think I'd disconnect the panels from the controller.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
It has been said that with nothing to charge the panels don't do anything.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
I have never seen the need to 'turn off' the Zamp solar charge controller in our RV for storage. Why would one want to?
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad