cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grey water use help

ryanhousley
Explorer
Explorer
RV Newbie here! We just bought a jayco jayflight 17' trailer and need to use it in the blue ridge mtns during the winter. As I understand, the issue with pipe freezing is having water in them. Is it possible to fill the water tank when we need to use it, use the sink/shower/toilet, then drain immediately after? We have septic hookup. Would that keep the lines from freezing? Tks!!
14 REPLIES 14

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
Are your waterlines above the floor or below? Is the underbelly enclosed and heated? How cold are you anticipating? The 20s one thing. 0, quite another. As mentioned, some RV antifreeze in the holding tanks might help keep the dump valves from freezing.Will you have electric hookup? Some TTs do reasonably well in winter. Many do not, especially if you want to use the water system.Some people get by with winterizing the trailer and using water jugs for drinking and cooking and, maybe, for flushing the toilet? Some Jaycos have insulated and heated underbellies. How long are yoou planning on staying? Lots of questions to be answered before being able to give you a more diffinitive answer.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
This thread has some excellent advice.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24160748.cfm
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
As has been stated, "draining the lines" is woefully insufficient. You either have to pump them full of RV antifreeze, or blow them entirely out with an air compressor.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
RickLight wrote:
"No permanent damage" is the important fact.
Yes I dodged a bullet there. I used 2 gallons of antifreeze in each waste tank. So I "think" I may have been able to force the valves open to dump... But we really did not need to, and it just wasn't worth the risk.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
"No permanent damage" is the important fact.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
RickLight wrote:
Does that trailer have a covered underbelly?

If yes, then keeping the furnace running (45-50min) should keep the plumbing happy. If not, then only 'skirting' trailer to the ground and a heater in there, will prevent freezing.

Note that freezing lines takes time and if you're as low as 25-30F for a few hours at night nothing will freeze up. Even if it does, the plastic lines and tanks stretch and are OK.

We camp in snow and live in snow all winter territory.
The fittings will freeze. They won't stretch.
I have camped at 12 degrees once with a open underbelly.
That TT had all of the freshwater tank/lines inside the heated space. I put a lot of antifreeze in the waste tanks. and ran a generator 24/7 along with the furnace which never shut off. When we left we could not drain the tanks as the valves would not move. No permanent damage.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
Does that trailer have a covered underbelly?

If yes, then keeping the furnace running (45-50min) should keep the plumbing happy. If not, then only 'skirting' trailer to the ground and a heater in there, will prevent freezing.

Note that freezing lines takes time and if you're as low as 25-30F for a few hours at night nothing will freeze up. Even if it does, the plastic lines and tanks stretch and are OK.

We camp in snow and live in snow all winter territory.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Semi solid idea for gray/black water. But doesnโ€™t address fresh water.
Not that many pipes in a small camper. You have to find them and figure out how to keep them above freezing.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to draining your tanks and opening the low point drains, check for an "under counter" filter for (usually) the kitchen sink, and be sure to open that up and drain it (and remove the filter).
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

TCBear
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy. I'll mention that in addition to the good responses here, make sure to read your RV owner's manual, assuming you have it. If not, you might search for a digital copy online or buy one on EBay or the RV dealer. If you find ANY trailer manual online, such as for a Fleetwood, etc., you might review that manual's winterizing section since it should have similar protocols to your Jayco.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Someone with actual experience in really cold temps should come along with help. There are a lot of RVers who use their rigs across the northern states and even Alaska in the winter. It can be done. But I canโ€™t tell you how they do it. Nor tell you you canโ€™t.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
it ain,t worth the risk, a frozen line behind a wall could cost 5figures to fix.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Without blowing the lines, you will never get enough water out. If much below freezing temp, lines will freeze, if just draining the low point lines.

Jerry

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Draining all the lines every time you use the water would not be practical or easy. How cold will your trip be? Most newer RVs have at least some type of passive air flow from the furnace to keep the pipes from freezing if it' not too far below 32F, and you can use a light bulb in the wet bay to keep the pump from freezing. A lot of it really depends on your particular RV. Most TT's are 2 season, maybe 3. Very few are truly 4 season. Without some serious modification and a LOT of propane, you might not have a lot of luck.

Also, your post might get more attention in the travel trailer forum instead of Class A.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS