cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Opinions?

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, all.

We just placed an order for a Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS after seeing it two years in a row at the Indianapolis RV Expo.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2018/travel-trailer/reflection/floorplans/315rlts

We will be trading in our Rockwood.

Does anyone have this trailer, and what are your opinions of it? Or opinions of Grand Design in general?

This rig is certainly as heavy as I want to go with a gas engine (6.4L HEMI), but I think we will be OK. I have read on the GD owners forum of some people having a hitch weight as high as 1,700 pounds with this rig (brochure hitch weigh is 1,065), so I am going with the Blue Ox Swaypro 2,000 pound hitch. Any opinions on that hitch? Payload sticker on the truck door is just a tad under 3,000 pounds (2,9xx).

We are adding a second AC, a king bed, slide toppers, and MORyde steps.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI
14 REPLIES 14

Silverback98042
Explorer
Explorer
Gassers do have their place, but steep hills are not one of them.
2013 Ford Superduty F250 Powerstroke CC 4X4 Platinum
2013 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 280 RKS

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 297rsts. Had a17 Chev. 2500 6.0 4:10 rear. Struggled on minor hills. Went to a 18 2500 duramax. Is great gassers are just not enough. IMHO DH

csjag1
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
Check out the Grand Design owners page on Facebook, it's a very active group.

Good advice. This Facebook page has several postings every day and questions & issues are answered quickly.

As for the 315RLST, we took delivery of ours right at 1 year ago. We have made 7-8 different trips since we got it and have thoroughly enjoyed each one thanks to our 315. I haven't checked my "trip ready" tongue weight, but our 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax handles the big 315 just fine. We use the Equalizer 1400/14,000 4-point hitch and have no handling issues.

The 315RLST has the same floor plan as the 337 fifth wheel, but in TT format. Our truck pulls it fine, plenty of space for storage, every thing works as intended. It has our highest endorsement. Check it out.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Grand Design owners page on Facebook, it's a very active group.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Silverback98042
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2018 315RLTS, and love it. We pull it with an F250 Powerstroke, and they’re well matched for each other. We haven’t found anything about the trailer we’d change.
2013 Ford Superduty F250 Powerstroke CC 4X4 Platinum
2013 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 280 RKS

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
goducks10 wrote:
This place posts the CCC sticker on most of their trailers.
CCC can get pretty low on some.
http://www.trailerhitchrv.com/product/new-2018-grand-design-reflection-315rlts-804705-29

I would agree the unit list has a CCC f 1349 which is very low.
Certainly limits your ability to haul water or do much camping off the grid
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

jim1521
Explorer
Explorer
I have the older version (2016 313RLTS). BIG TRAILER. I love the layout and available options (i.e. separate washer and dryer hookups, CAVERNOUS front closet, giant pantry, king size bed). Tows really well (I keep my TW right at 1,200 lbs, and overall trailer Weight at 10,000 lbs). Watch the ass-end when making turns; the swing is about 6' due to the axles being so far forward.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
This place posts the CCC sticker on most of their trailers.
CCC can get pretty low on some.
http://www.trailerhitchrv.com/product/new-2018-grand-design-reflection-315rlts-804705-29

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
We have the earlier 313 model and have no complaints at all. Enjoy the new rig.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
IndyCamp wrote:
There are multiple grey tanks.

We are only a family of three, and not growing (thanks to medical science ;)), with no dogs, so I think the carrying capacity is sufficient for us. We are also weekend warriors, with at most a two-week trip each year, so we don't have as much in the rig as many people.

In general I'd say 1500 pounds is minimal required. Anything below 1,500 requires you to watch you weights closely and who has time for that.
Nevertheless. A brochure CCC of 2000# will result in a real world CCC of 1,600-1,700 pounds. If you can find a rig equipped like yours check its yellow load sticker.
Correct Trax,Splendide

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
There are multiple grey tanks.

We are only a family of three, and not growing (thanks to medical science ;)), with no dogs, so I think the carrying capacity is sufficient for us. We are also weekend warriors, with at most a two-week trip each year, so we don't have as much in the rig as many people.
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Overall it appears to be a nice unit. Not crazy about the location of the utility docking station if it is at the very front corner of the rig but that is certainly not a deal breaker.I am impressed by the 118 gallon grey water capacity. Is that one tank or multiple tanks? 1700# hitch weight will require the correct tow vehicle and hitch.
2000# Cargo capacity is a bit skimpy for a rig that large, but I guess it's manageable. Just Beware if the brochure CCC is 2000# you actual CCC may be significantly less
Correct Trax,Splendide

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
I would be in same diesel boat in Colorado.

We are in the Midwest and the highest point in Indiana is 1,200 feet above sea level. We do make trips around the region, usually going to the Ozarks in Missouri every year, but those hills are nothing like the mountains in Colorado. We will likely take a trip out west in about three years. The current truck is paid off and only has 29,000 miles, so we're going to see how it goes.

Of course, if I had known we were going to upgrade our trailer, I would have bought a diesel in 2014. Live and learn, I guess.
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
IndyCamp wrote:
Hi, all.

We just placed an order for a Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS after seeing it two years in a row at the Indianapolis RV Expo.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2018/travel-trailer/reflection/floorplans/315rlts

We will be trading in our Rockwood.

Does anyone have this trailer, and what are your opinions of it? Or opinions of Grand Design in general?

This rig is certainly as heavy as I want to go with a gas engine (6.4L HEMI), but I think we will be OK. I have read on the GD owners forum of some people having a hitch weight as high as 1,700 pounds with this rig (brochure hitch weigh is 1,065), so I am going with the Blue Ox Swaypro 2,000 pound hitch. Any opinions on that hitch? Payload sticker on the truck door is just a tad under 3,000 pounds (2,9xx).

We are adding a second AC, a king bed, slide toppers, and MORyde steps.

I have one on order with 2nd ac king, booth, and from all the info I have received from owners the hitch weight is right at 1700# so I too went with the sway pro 2000( very heavy 60#). I'll be towing mine with a f250 diesel which is what I had with my FW. I personally would never go with a gasser being I am in Colorado and the mountains
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD