cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got a new to me tow vehicle

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
I have been looking for a new tow vehicle for a while now, but I am kind of picky and don't want just any truck. The other day while checking craigslist, I came across a truck that checked all of my boxes (except color). The price was right and I jumped on it and made the purchase. I bought a 2001 F250 crew cab with the 7.3L powerstroke, 6speed manual transmission, manual locking hubs and a transfer case shifter in the floor. Not too many crew cab standards floating around. This should keep me from constantly worrying about the transmission when pulling, and I'm going to guess that the 7.3 pulls a little better than my 5.3l chevy. I have a trip coming up in two weeks, guess I will find out.
21 REPLIES 21

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
SidecarFlip wrote:
Isn't that the notorious 'Twin Beam' front suspension? The bushing eater? I had one, a 7.3. Kept it about a year and got rid of it.

The OBS trucks were the ones with the bushing problems. The Super Duty twin I beams did not.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
I bet if I put it in 4lo and in first gear it would pull it up a steep mountain. At a slow slow slow pace that is.

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to come back and tell us how she pulls.

I think you will feel like you can pull it up a mountain.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Never been overly fond of the early manuals. The 'Ford has a better idea' hydraulic actuated clutch is a pizzer. It's not adjustable unless you machine an adjustable push rod and even then, the slave will leak down when it gets older and cause clashing gears. Had one of those too. 4 speed with a creeper in a 6.9 Barnyard Buick.

My 95 had a solid actuator rod that I machine a 2 piece one to replace it. Mine wasn't. Maybe yours is.

I'll stick with the built E4 thank you.

Dude, why are you posting multiple times in what appears to be pi$$ing on the OP's parade? The trucks that you are comparing his truck to have nothing in common....And like the OP, I would much rather have the ZF6 any day over a slush box.

OP, you did good. As others have posted, the 7.3L, ZF6 manual combo Super Duty is one of the most desirable trucks that Ford has ever made. The manual transfer case and hubs are a definite bonus.

And yes, that truck has a solid front axle, a granny low gear to get a heavy load started, and is still the best looking Super Duty era to date IMO. As a matter of fact, I looked long and hard for a '99-'03 F-350 CC 4x4 DRW Lariat 7.3L 6 speed prior to buying my current truck with no luck.

Please keep us in the know about it and it would be great to see some pics! :B

Oh, and you will notice a huge difference pulling compared to a 5.3L Chevy! :C

No worries, I have researched and researched and researched what to get, there are good and bad points about every truck. I actually had made plans to go purchase a 5.9cummins/mega-cab/ GS6 combo a couple months back, but it was sold before I could get off from work. I am not about to say my truck is any better than others out there, but it checked every box I had, except it is red and I prefer white trucks. Oh, and the clutch was replaced 10k miles ago, so with the way I will use the truck, it should be good for another 15 years or so!

My wife did comment about how loud the engine was the other day while we were driving it, but I bet it is quieter than a 5.3L at 4000RPM.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Isn't that the notorious 'Twin Beam' front suspension? The bushing eater? I had one, a 7.3. Kept it about a year and got rid of it.

Speaking of a twin I beam.....

Dirt Every Day Ep. 70
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
I am not a Ford guy, but i had an 01 7.3 with the zf6 and i loved it. Very few things to worry about compared to any newer Ford. Keep the oil and fuel clean, don't hot rod it until it's warmed up. Tow away.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Never been overly fond of the early manuals. The 'Ford has a better idea' hydraulic actuated clutch is a pizzer. It's not adjustable unless you machine an adjustable push rod and even then, the slave will leak down when it gets older and cause clashing gears. Had one of those too. 4 speed with a creeper in a 6.9 Barnyard Buick.

My 95 had a solid actuator rod that I machine a 2 piece one to replace it. Mine wasn't. Maybe yours is.

Dude, why are you posting multiple times in what appears to be pi$$ing on the OP's parade? The trucks that you are comparing his truck to have nothing in common....And like the OP, I would much rather have the ZF6 any day over a slush box.

OP, you did good. As others have posted, the 7.3L, ZF6 manual combo Super Duty is one of the most desirable trucks that Ford has ever made. The manual transfer case and hubs are a definite bonus.

And yes, that truck has a solid front axle, a granny low gear to get a heavy load started, and is still the best looking Super Duty era to date IMO. As a matter of fact, I looked long and hard for a '99-'03 F-350 CC 4x4 DRW Lariat 7.3L 6 speed prior to buying my current truck with no luck.

Please keep us in the know about it and it would be great to see some pics! :B

Oh, and you will notice a huge difference pulling compared to a 5.3L Chevy! :C
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
The 99-03 7.3L 6 speed manual is one of the most sought after, desirable engine/transmission combos on the used truck market. My dad is ordering a new F350 soon and I hope to get his 2000 F250 7.3/6M. I had a '94 F250 with the twin I beam, and the 99 and up trucks handle and maneuver much better.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
LanceRKeys wrote:
This should keep me from constantly worrying about the transmission when pulling, ...

Now all you have to worry about is the clutch ! Unless you have one of the transmission with a super low 1st gear (max 5 MPH).

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
George H wrote:
my 01 F350 4X4 is solid front axle, I equate turning radius to an aircraft carrier. I've been towing 13k+ 5er for the last 11 years and covered 13 Western states (including multiple crossings of the Rockies). Not the fastest pulling hills but great truck.

I took an angle grinder to the axle stops and that helped a tiny bit but I have to be careful with tire to wheel well and leaf spring rub now.

The 7.3 is a great motor if you keep the oil changed, run good fuel and filters and mind the injector stiction issue.

Ain't no hot rod motor though, but at least the rods are forged not like the powdered metal rods in later Powerstrokes.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:

Well they didn’t make any “late” manuals, so guess you’re safe now....lol.

Fwiw, my pizzer hyd actuated clutch cylinders have over 100kmiles on them and are adjustable. They make adjustable hydros for pickups.

If you’re trying to talk up any 4 speed auto trans in comparison to a 6 speed manual, other than for ease of operation , your argument seems a bit off.

7.3 manual super dootys are the first unicorn before the 5.9 manual CR Cummins. Great truck.
Op, did good finding one of them.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

George_H
Explorer
Explorer
my 01 F350 4X4 is solid front axle, I equate turning radius to an aircraft carrier. I've been towing 13k+ 5er for the last 11 years and covered 13 Western states (including multiple crossings of the Rockies). Not the fastest pulling hills but great truck.
George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
SidecarFlip wrote:

Well they didn’t make any “late” manuals, so guess you’re safe now....lol.

Fwiw, my pizzer hyd actuated clutch cylinders have over 100kmiles on them and are adjustable. They make adjustable hydros for pickups.

If you’re trying to talk up any 4 speed auto trans in comparison to a 6 speed manual, other than for ease of operation , your argument seems a bit off.

7.3 manual super dootys are the first unicorn before the 5.9 manual CR Cummins. Great truck.
Op, did good finding one of them.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
My SIL had one with an auto, at 245k he put a high pressure oil pump in it and at 340k he put a trans in it, it was a very good truck.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also