cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Goodyear Marathon Class Action Suit

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
Not trying to be negative, just sharing information. I had decided to purchase a set of Goodyear Marathons for my travel trailer as soon as my Castle Rock tires started showing any sign of problems. Then I ran across this information this morning. Food for thought.

(Addition: I got the "Marathon" and "Endurance" line mixed up. So sorry for the confusion but thanks for the education.)

https://help.classaction.org/goodyear-marathon-tires/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=paid%20social&utm_campaign=goodyear%20tires&utm_content=conversion-s4-a3&fbclid=IwAR1xEKBsD6nWWVNAm7ULyRrYHt1BBG-8QEBokChk2r6zWBeH4z1ymir7Okc
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.
4 REPLIES 4

Muleycrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Or go with LT tires
No special care needed
myredracer wrote:
Well, we got 5-1/2 seasons out of Chinese Marathons and just installed a set of Endurance. I've been anal about checking pressure regularly and never going over 65 mph. We've also had a high reserve load capacity at around 30% due to installing LRD instead of the OEM LRC.

IMHO, many blowouts on ST tires can be attributed to not treating them like they need to be - never tow under-inflated, overloaded or over their speed rating and have at least 15% reserve load capacity. Lawyers could never prove that was followed. Plus, I would think each failed tire would have to be dissected and inspected by a tire engineer to confirm the cause of a failure which would never happen.

Trial lawyers are always looking for ways to line their pockets. Article said they were investigating to see if a class action lawsuit "could be filed". If it's a year old, this is the first I've heard of it and probably didn't go anywhere. Some lawyer probably had a blowout and decided he wanted to get even, lol!

If anyone is to blame, I would say it is RV manufacturers and dealers failing to advise/educate owners on how to treat ST tires.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, we got 5-1/2 seasons out of Chinese Marathons and just installed a set of Endurance. I've been anal about checking pressure regularly and never going over 65 mph. We've also had a high reserve load capacity at around 30% due to installing LRD instead of the OEM LRC.

IMHO, many blowouts on ST tires can be attributed to not treating them like they need to be - never tow under-inflated, overloaded or over their speed rating and have at least 15% reserve load capacity. Lawyers could never prove that was followed. Plus, I would think each failed tire would have to be dissected and inspected by a tire engineer to confirm the cause of a failure which would never happen.

Trial lawyers are always looking for ways to line their pockets. Article said they were investigating to see if a class action lawsuit "could be filed". If it's a year old, this is the first I've heard of it and probably didn't go anywhere. Some lawyer probably had a blowout and decided he wanted to get even, lol!

If anyone is to blame, I would say it is RV manufacturers and dealers failing to advise/educate owners on how to treat ST tires.

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
Article is one year old. Problems with the Marathon's are well known and documented. GY discontinued them about 2 years ago and replaced with the 'Endurance' product. Endurance is made in USA and getting very good reviews for those that are using them. Thoughts?......get the Endurance.
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
clicky link

Thoughts ??
The Marathons are no longer in production and have replaced by Goodyears Endurance.

Having used the Marathons on various rv and non rv trailers when they were made in the USA as far back as the '70 era makes me wonder why someone waited so long. Hell before they came out with the circle S remake Marathons in the late '90s.... they were worse back then as the later ones made in china.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides