cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodyear Endurance Tires VS Carlisle Trail HD Tires

TKW
Explorer
Explorer
It's time for a new set of tires. I have narrowed down my choice between GY Endurance and Carlisle Trail HD.

However, in comparing the price locally, Endurance costs 45% more than the Carlisle. For a set of 4 ST22575R15 LRE, Endurance costs CA$230 more than Carlisle HD.

Is endurance that much better than Carlisle? I heard enough good things about the GY. I would like to hear from the Carlisle owners for their opinion.

Thank you in advance!
2002 Chevy 1500HD Crew Cab, 6.0l
2013 Timber Ridge 240RBS
Prodigy Brake Controller
59 REPLIES 59

TKW
Explorer
Explorer
Thermoguy wrote:

I thought I could get away with my 7 year old Marathon tires this year as well. Found out that I couldn't. 2 of the 4 had major bulges and had to be removed on the spot. One blew on a trip, but I can blame that on the shackels braking and not the tire. But, the point is, and everyone on here will tell you, 7 years is too long for a trailer tire.

Where are your 2 bad tires located? The one failed on mine is at the right front side and the diagonally opposing one also showed signs of belt separation. The other 2 still looks good with a bit of tread left.

Everyone here is talking about replacing trailer tires every 7 years. My last set of Marathon still looked good after 19 years when I sold off my last TT as a reclamation project. These Marathon were made in Canada in the '90 though. We didn't travel enough to wear them down
to get new tires. We keep the pressure up on every trip, park at home out of the sun and keep an close eye on them for dry rot or uneven wear pattern.
2013 Timber Ridge 240RBS
Prodigy Brake Controller

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
TKW wrote:

I was to hold off until next season that we can travel farther before I get a new set of tires. One of these barely 7 y.o. Marathon developed a slow leak from belt separation last weekend. I used the spare to get home from 100 miles away. Because we have a very nice fall weather this year, I thought we shall take advantage of the next few weekends camping. But travelling without a spare is not an option thus the new tires.

I thought I could get away with my 7 year old Marathon tires this year as well. Found out that I couldn't. 2 of the 4 had major bulges and had to be removed on the spot. One blew on a trip, but I can blame that on the shackels braking and not the tire. But, the point is, and everyone on here will tell you, 7 years is too long for a trailer tire.

Get the right load range tire, and replace them every 4-5 years and you should never have a problem, assuming, tire pressure checks, load is in check, and you stay within the speed rating of the tire. However, if you have a tire size that can be replaced by a similar load range LT tire, I am all for that. I just put Load Range E LT tires on my 5th wheel. I have about 9K over the tires, so well within the range E 12K rating. I have a large horse trailer that has had LT tires on it since new. The first set went almost 10 years and I only replaced them because the were cracking. I have never had a blowout on that trailer in 14 years with only 2 sets of tires. Planning to replace the tires next year as they will be 5 years old, but they are LT so they are better than the ST tires.

Talking to the Goodyear guy today about LT vs ST - ST tires are designed to go straight. Never get much abuse and only designed for rolling resistance. AN LT tire will not roll as well so might increase fuel cost, but a way better built tire. Whenever I have asked a tire professional about LT vs ST they can't tell me why one should buy an ST tire. And, if you need the extra few pounds of added load range, then maybe you should step up a load range anyway.

TKW
Explorer
Explorer
The price I was quoted was CA$938 for 4 including 12% sales tax, installation, $20 Environment Levy but no wheel balancing. (That's another topic for another day). With today's 1.33 exchange rate, it works out to US$ 175 per tire out of the door.

Tire Rack listed $133 each which works out to within a few $ of local list price. Besides, buying online & ship across to border is not economical. A lot of online merchandises get free shipping in the states will cost an arm and a leg shipping across the border.

I was to hold off until next season that we can travel farther before I get a new set of tires. One of these barely 7 y.o. Marathon developed a slow leak from belt separation last weekend. I used the spare to get home from 100 miles away. Because we have a very nice fall weather this year, I thought we shall take advantage of the next few weekends camping. But travelling without a spare is not an option thus the new tires.
2013 Timber Ridge 240RBS
Prodigy Brake Controller

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
What type of out the door prices are people seeing for the load range E 15" rim tires mentioned on this thread?

I bought the cheapest trailer i could from Discount. Was the Contender TT868. That was last year and it was $99 out the door. Just checked today and it went up to about $115 per tire. With the extra $9 road hazard.

Wonder how many tire blowouts of the chinese tires are from too low of tire pressure. Maybe the more premium tires just take abuse better. Or maybe the people who spend money on premium tires also check pressure more often and therefor have less blowouts to begin with.

I need new tires and its between the 2 listed above and the TT868. Hope it doesnt seem unsafe to even consider the TT868. Im a triple axle and carries a small load compared to most toyhaulers my size. Drive slow too if that matters. I get tire scrub bad. Makes me want to lean towards cheaper tires more often.

Figured patriciate with this current thread instead of making a new one.

TKW
Explorer
Explorer
I was told they are in stock in a local warehouse. This is Western Canada. Trailer tires could sell slower than the eastern seaboard. I will check the manufacturing date tomorrow to see how old these stocks are.

After reading some of the replies above, I wouldn't be hesitated to use Carlisle HD if Endurance is not available. The same dealer sells them too.
2013 Timber Ridge 240RBS
Prodigy Brake Controller

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
CaLBaR wrote:
midnightsadie wrote:
carlisle has rep for being the cheap tire on the market also a rep for blow outs. they make lawn mower tires ,and still trying to get that right.

Yes they did, at the same time that Goodyear made the piece of **** Marathon that had major blowouts too. Need to get with the times. The Carlisle HD has not had any issues reported that I have seen. I used them on my last trailer and a good tire.

Rob

Yes, Goodyear twice tried to have the Marathons produced in China and gave up.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:
TKW wrote:
Thank you all for the replies! I decided to bite the bullet and ordered a set of Endurance. Locally Goodyear is only exclusive to one dealer so there's no shopping around and pay the full list price.

Are they available? I was told by my tire shop that production was shifted from trailer tires to passenger tires, due to the pandemic slow-down, and Endurance tires aren't available any sooner than the end of October.

-Speak

They show in stock at Tire Rack. There is no need to pay list price, places like Tire Rack will arrange installation.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
TKW wrote:
Thank you all for the replies! I decided to bite the bullet and ordered a set of Endurance. Locally Goodyear is only exclusive to one dealer so there's no shopping around and pay the full list price.

Are they available? I was told by my tire shop that production was shifted from trailer tires to passenger tires, due to the pandemic slow-down, and Endurance tires aren't available any sooner than the end of October.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

TKW
Explorer
Explorer
I have looked into Amazon for pricing and found that their Canadian site does not have the best price for Carlisle.
2013 Timber Ridge 240RBS
Prodigy Brake Controller

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Im looking towards the carlisle HD and wanted to buy from amazon. Worried im not going to like the date code.

TKW
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Timber Ridge 240RBS
Prodigy Brake Controller

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Both tires are the latest from their mfg. The old Marathons or Carlisle Radial Trail both had major reliability issues for many folks. Thats old history.

The Carlisle HD came out in the late '16s.
The Goodyear Endurance came out in Jan/'17.

Both are enjoying a huge jump in reliability vs their predecessors.

With tires don't confuse reliability with their cost.

Some of our best load C/D/E/G tires for service trailers are made in china/other foreign countries.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
I put the Carlisle Trail HDs on my tt a few years back. I've towed the tt to Alaska and back with no issues. I did move up to load range D from the stock C, but will buy again when I need tires.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
carlisle has rep for being the cheap tire on the market also a rep for blow outs. they make lawn mower tires ,and still trying to get that right.

Yes they did, at the same time that Goodyear made the piece of **** Marathon that had major blowouts too. Need to get with the times. The Carlisle HD has not had any issues reported that I have seen. I used them on my last trailer and a good tire.

Rob
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I thought the Carlisle HD 15" had the new tread cap that improved them significantly?
I still like the Maxxis 8008 and the GY Endurance.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand