cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GMC TPMS

yellow_dog
Explorer
Explorer
I just watched a video showing how to set up factory TPMS for trailer on GM trucks. It says you can program (in the truck) tire pressures between 50 psi - 100 psi. My 5th wheel tires require 110 psi. Has anyone experienced a higher pressure beyond the 100 psi?
13 REPLIES 13

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And “putting 10 ply tires on half tons since aught 4” unless your newest truck is still older than aught 8, you should already be familiar with this. No?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
I'd be surprised if there wasn't an overinflation alarm. It might not be something you can set but I'd imagine it is a function of the low limit.

Have you tried overinflating a tire to test?

No, that doesn’t even make sense.
Not on an OEM “trailer” system, but that would make even less sense to have an over inflation alarm on a component (trailer) that could literally have any max pressure.
Speaking for half tons, I have and continue to, on occasion, either with oe tires or heavier duty tires, inflate well past the OE tires max psi. Mostly Ford and GM trucks.

I made that comment in response to someone’s off the wall response to what I said.
Just trying to help, not debate things that don’t exist.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'd be surprised if there wasn't an overinflation alarm. It might not be something you can set but I'd imagine it is a function of the low limit.

Have you tried overinflating a tire to test?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
yellow dog wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
yellow dog wrote:
The wheels are 16," and are required to run at 110 psi per the manufacturer. I will probably just continue to use my aftermarket TPMS on the 5th wheel if I can't set them to the correct pressure in the truck.

Silliest thing I’ve heard in a while.
You really want your TPMS to alarm you at 109 psi? 1 psi under what you think it should be?

ROFL

No, he does NOT want it setting off the alarm constantly because the tires are 10PSI over pressure.

Exactly...

Ohhhh, ok.... my bad.

I've only had about 15 or 20 GM's, Fords and Dodge/Rams 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons (1 tons have informational monitoring but no preset limits) in the last 15 years or so since 2008? when TMPS became mandatory and standard.

But NONE of them had an upper limit alert on the TPMS. Only a lower limit.

But ICBW, or maybe the trailer systems work differently?

yellow_dog
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
yellow dog wrote:
The wheels are 16," and are required to run at 110 psi per the manufacturer. I will probably just continue to use my aftermarket TPMS on the 5th wheel if I can't set them to the correct pressure in the truck.

You really want your TPMS to alarm you at 109 psi? 1 psi under what you think it should be?

ROFL

No, he does NOT want it setting off the alarm constantly because the tires are 10PSI over pressure.

Exactly...

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
yellow dog wrote:

ROFL

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
S Davis wrote:
I don’t know if they are the same system but on my 2009 we raced the truck and ran tire pressure as low as 20psi, I had the dealer reset the tire pressure settings in the TPMS so we wouldn’t get the dashboard warning.

Been the better part of 10 years since ANY dealer would adjust TPMS thresholds, on the books, at least. But there is aftermarket equipment that will.
However in the OPs case he doesn’t understand what he’s dealing with or he’d realize it’s a non issue in his case and he has a great solution already.

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t know if they are the same system but on my 2009 we raced the truck and ran tire pressure as low as 20psi, I had the dealer reset the tire pressure settings in the TPMS so we wouldn’t get the dashboard warning.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
yellow dog wrote:

ROFL

yellow_dog
Explorer
Explorer

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
BTW.
One of my front chevy TPMS sustsined some damage. They are stupid expensive.
250.00!!!
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Mine take 125. I just went with an aftermarket system for the coach
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Are those wheels and tires 17.5's? Just trying to understand how your set up requires 110 psi.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1