cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GMC/Silverado 2500 Gas

cliffy49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am wondering if anyone has towed with either of the 2020/21 subject trucks and what are your thoughts.

Tell me your thoughts on the ride, power and amenities. Let me know what and where you have pulled so that I can get a good idea of what the vehicle can do. I am not concerned with the diesel evan though it is a very good tow vehicle just not for me. I pull a 4900 lb. gvr toy hauler and have no intention of getting a bigger rig. Evan if i did,I would not go over 9000 lbs.

Any and all comments are appreciated.
cliffy49
2016 F150 Ecoboost & max tow (Gone)
2021 Silverado Custom 2500HD
2018 Catalina TH26 Toy hauler
26 REPLIES 26

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
cliffy49 wrote:
If you look hard enough you will find it.

Found a 2021 Silverado Custom 2500HD and brought it home.

Congrats on the new truck. I guy that works for me bought one same color but with a Z71 package and black rims a couple of weeks ago.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

poorboy
Explorer
Explorer
k9jadon wrote:
Poorboy,

Was your younger brother towing their 5k trailer, or were they empty? I am in the same boat as the op and I am trying to determine whether I go diesel or gas. Thanks

he was towing a 5k lb. tt on his trip and he also has a very heavy foot.
2013 Chevy 2500 CC LTZ D'Max 4x4
2014 Jayco Eagle 298RLDS
2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
2017 peterbilt.
Truckin 38 yrs. Car Hauler 25 yrs. Camping my whole life

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Good looking pickup, nice find.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job! Nice truck. You're going to be happy with it.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

cliffy49
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you look hard enough you will find it.

Found a 2021 Silverado Custom 2500HD and brought it home.
cliffy49

k9jadon
Explorer
Explorer
Poorboy,

Was your younger brother towing their 5k trailer, or were they empty? I am in the same boat as the op and I am trying to determine whether I go diesel or gas. Thanks

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
As a general statement, most times we can't find a truck equipped how we want or need it. Many dealer stock have way more 'stuff' than we would order. I've often order-built one in the past with pretty good luck, and timing.

When we have ordered, whatever deals and discounts are in place when we ordered, or when we took possession applied, and we could choose. Never been unhappy with a build we ordered, and only once was a delivery late enough to lodge a complaint.

Not sure how any of that applies today, but I expect production will settle in pretty soon and become more predictable.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I here you on that, the cheaper ones sell quickly. And ordering them takes time, im surprised that it only took 2 months, they were shut down for a bit and everything got backed up due to delays in stuff because of the virus. 2 months is almost normal wait time.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
cliffy49 wrote:
Well it seems that my purchase of a 2500 may be more difficult than I would have thought.Every time I find one that fits my budget and that I like, it gets sold before I can ever get a chance to look at it.

Between a short supply and increased demand and cost this may be tricky.

I had to order a truck, painless other than the wait.....ordered 10-20 delivered 12-23.

cliffy49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well it seems that my purchase of a 2500 may be more difficult than I would have thought.Every time I find one that fits my budget and that I like, it gets sold before I can ever get a chance to look at it.

Between a short supply and increased demand and cost this may be tricky.
cliffy49

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
GM has always made reliable engines, 6.6 is no different but as an unbiased truck owner, 6.4 Hemi and Fords 7.3 are just as reliable.

We tow a 7700# trailer with a 3/4 ton,like the buffer.

Oh....when I'm looking at trucks I simply show my wife to the kitchen.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
So probably a 5.3. That explains your experience. You made a huge jump. Not only did you get the 6.6 but you went to 3/4 ton or better.

It would have been a huge jump in towing performance also from his '12 1500 with the old low hp/torque to the newer 1500 5.3 with 355 hp and 383 torque and a 8 or 10 speed tranny.
Of course anytime one moves from a older low performance 1/2 ton size truck to any new gen 3/4 ton truck with a bigger engine/heavier chassis/more axle load capacity its a big plus.

The wife is looking for a new 2500 GMC 4wd crew cab std bed now to replace her '16 1500 4wd 5.3 355/383 engine with the 6 speed tranny.
She's leaning a bit towards the 6.6 gazzer over the Dmax but hasn't made her final decision.
I'm guiding her towards the gazzer as her truck won't be pulling any of my heavier trailers (14k-16k lbs). I still have my Dodge/Cummins NV5600 tranny for that purpose.

Got to appreciate a wife that is willing to have a voice on such decisions and you for letting her get what she wants. I asked mine if she wanted to trade her 2016 5.3 8 speed for a new one. I have been driving a loaner while they fix the camera on my 3500. I really like it and hers is getting some miles. The deal they threw out is really good. Just not that interested.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
So probably a 5.3. That explains your experience. You made a huge jump. Not only did you get the 6.6 but you went to 3/4 ton or better.

It would have been a huge jump in towing performance also from his '12 1500 with the old low hp/torque to the newer 1500 5.3 with 355 hp and 383 torque and a 8 or 10 speed tranny.
Of course anytime one moves from a older low performance 1/2 ton size truck to any new gen 3/4 ton truck with a bigger engine/heavier chassis/more axle load capacity its a big plus.

The wife is looking for a new 2500 GMC 4wd crew cab std bed now to replace her '16 1500 4wd 5.3 355/383 engine with the 6 speed tranny.
She's leaning a bit towards the 6.6 gazzer over the Dmax but hasn't made her final decision.
I'm guiding her towards the gazzer as her truck won't be pulling any of my heavier trailers (14k-16k lbs). I still have my Dodge/Cummins NV5600 tranny for that purpose.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
ls1mike wrote:
Sjm9911 wrote:
ls1mike wrote:
Sjm9911 wrote:
It will be a ton of an improvement over the 150. Lots of power. My TT is light so maybe 5400 loaded and i load up the bed of the truck. It has power to pass and stop. Like a lot of it. I have no problem now passing big rigs on big inclines. Before with the 2012 gmc i had issues going up large inclines. I had to pull onto the slow down lanes for the trucks. Now , i can honestly say i pull faster, 70 ish. Where before was 60 ish. With 0 problems. Plus is more cab room, more bed room ( a lot). I like the back up camera for hitching up, and when your close you swap to hitch veiw to get it lined up perfectly. Also, it automatically puts the ellectric e break on so you dont roll out from the hitch. Other great options, auto scolls the lights for a pre check. No more needing a second person or a weight to hold the break down in the truck. I like it for towing a lot. Especially with a smaller trailor. It had a good upper limit on tow weights also. Longest trip this year was nj to lake george, so 4 hours. Also did a few trips to pa, through the water gap, big inclines. Mirrors are better to see out of hitched up. Only con is not great gas millage, and its big. So its my DD. Its fast.

Was the 2012 a 6.0? I have a 17 and tow all over out West(Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Montana) and that has not been my experience.
I like the 6.6 but for me it wasn't enough difference to go back into payments. I am waiting to see if you can get it with 4.10s and a few more speeds.

No it was a 1500 5.6 , max tow. I think it had to do a bit with the emissions stuff. Your a lot newer also, so 5 years will make a diffence. It had the auto cylinder thing. So by the time you stepped on the gas and the slight time delay in the relays it was too late( just assumtions on that reading after the fact). I did use it to tow to disney and back. It towed fine, just got squirrely at 60 or 65 mph. That atually depending on the road type. And it got pushed around too much by the 18 wheelers blowing past me. Addtionally the small gas tank made the disney trip way longer then it needed to be. And accelerating to get on and off the hyway because of lower power wasnt fun eaither. Could it tow. Yes. Was it fun. Hell no.

Might have been, i will say i am a happy camper now. No white knuckle driving, and it makes for a much better trip. And I'll agree, with the above any newer 3/4 will be simmiler. Im always a gm guy. I did look at other stuff but i stuck to what i had for the last 30 years. GM. And they gave me the best deal.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.