cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glowsteps questions

welsteach
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard glowing reports (pun intended) of the Torklift Glowsteps. I am vacillating between ordering the Bigfoot steps systems (hefty price, but this is for safety) and new glow steps. Because I am putting them on a basement rig, I cannot use their mounting system that also locks them up (which is what drew me to them in the first place).

We currently have scissor steps that are difficult to deploy and secure: Are these truly superior and more safe with the add on feet? I don't want to pay $700 and find myself in the same boat.

I am unable to put the current bungee around them (arthritis weak hands), would a racket strap work well? Anyone have a different set up that works well and is less strength intensive? We do not want to take them off and put them on. Our current steps are secured to the truck camper with bolt system.

Glow portion doesn't matter to me, as we live in Alaska, however secure tread does. Our current steps have a deep grooved pattern in them that really helps. Glowsteps? I cannot seem to find close up pictures of them anywhere to see if the tread will work for us.
10 REPLIES 10

welsteach
Explorer
Explorer
Was able to install Torklift landing gear to my existing steps. They are exactly GlowSteps minus the glow strips and they have two treads instead of three. The hardest part was getting the washers inside and outside the brackets.

welsteach
Explorer
Explorer
No, I was looking at GlowSteps. Shipping to Alaska and 6-steps were the cost factor. I have 6 step, aluminum scissors from Billis R.V. Equipment manufacturing. They look for all the world exactly like the Torklift GlowSteps. Same tread, double side bars, deep steps. They are discontinued now. However, because of the way they are assembled, I can easily put Torklift landing gear on them and solve half my battle. Next I will clean and silicone spray them to make them easier to deploy, then get a tie down system that I can use (ratchet tie down straps are the current runner).

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I love my Glowsteps. I later added the Stow-n-go bracket.

Videos:

Step installation

Adding the bracket
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Wonder if OP was looking at the Revolution steps instead of Glowstep? They are a lot more expensive, comparable 4 tread about 200+ for the revolution bracket (which wouldnt work on most TCs)
4 tread Glowstep with stowNgo bracket, landing gear feet about 410+,
same in Revolution about 640+
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
I have the Glow steps for my BF with the basement. Pryor I had the other steps. Flimsy and saggy.
The Glow steps are a bit expensive but I would not want the "OTHER STEPS".

I also have the Glow Step basement step that folds down to get access to the basement! You can see how great that is with my porch...

This is what the other steps looked like. I took one step off the assembly and installed it for my first step.

The Glow steps in a great picture taken in a desert of Az. What a rainbow shot!

Another shot a bit closer to the steps. A cold morning in Boulder, Co

Note the little step up.. We use that when traveling and we do not want to lower the steps.

Stored position..

Wayne, Reddog1 designed the porch and did most of the fabrication for my porch. It turned out so good!
You can see how those Other Steps really look like on this thread!
Those storage boxes are so great! Hold our BBQ Smokey Joe and the tools and charcoal. The other all our rugs, levelers and jack pads...

Click here if you want to see the porch build!

The Porch!
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I have had scissor steps and thought about glow steps. I am sure they are a great product. I purchased the little giant ladder for my truck camper and love it. Someone on here recommended it and it is outrageously stable. JMHO
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
The glo-steps are great. Very stable, secure. In fact we use them more than the factory Eagle Cap steps. I figured out a way to mount both simultaneously. For flexibility.

I don’t recall paying anywhere near $700...
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Glow steps brainstorming thread.

I put friction tape on our steps, but that mostly for dogs as having ladder to grab going down, we feel safe with the latest design.
But we seldom camp in areas where is raining, so wet steps don't happen to us.
On the other hand we have narrower steps as, when wider, more comfortable are available.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Cant address comparison to BF steps or whether traction sufficient or equal to?
Ive never slipped on ours, the ribs are about 1/16" deep 1/8" apart- few pics that might show details if it helps..

By description I assume your looking at stairs with the stow&go bracket?
If so the rubber snubbers only pull stairs pins into slots of bracket.

So yes a ratchet from sides of bracket around stairs to other side of bracket would secure. There's even slot small strap hooks would fit.
Though actually not sure if your were addressing these(T/L glowsteps), what you have or the B/f steps.

As far as the adjustable feet I don't consider them adding any 'safety' feature, only ability to adjust for uneven ground.
For safety/secure walking on stairs handrail is about the best bet for any system.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I do not have a truck camper, but we have the Glowstep Revolution on our fifth wheel. We had them on another fifth wheel and when we purchased a new one, the steps went with us.

We LOVE them and until they come out with newer ones, we will have these on. The Glowsteps that we have are deeply grooved across the steps and it works well, even in snow, not deep snow, but with 1/2" or so, they are fabulous. They are made of aluminum, but they are not slick in rain. I really can't say enough good stuff about them.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW