cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Glad I caught this

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Doing my usual walk around something caught my eye. I noticed one of the bolt heads on my front jack mounting plates was missing ( drivers front corner) I wasn't too worried as there are 5 bolts on that plate and 6 on the other side of the corner. Then I checked closer, not just one bolt head was missing but two others were snapped off but still there stuck on by Dicor.

I figured and hour tops to use an easy out and replace the bolts. Nope try 5 hours. Had to take the jack and mounting plate off as one of the bolts snapped diagonally and I needed better access to drill. OK the Lance is a 2008 1055, aluminum frame.

When I pulled the jack plate I figured out the issue. on one side of the plate no lap sealant, the other side had over 1/8 of an inch of lap sealant. The plate was not flat agaist the camper and over time the flexing of the plate on the sealant caused the grade 5 bolts to crack and fail.
I replaced all the bolts with Grade 8, cleaned up all the old sealant, reapplied a thin even layer dicor and then after remounting the plate I sealed all the bolts and seams with no sag dicor

I did inspect all the bolts on the other jacks and they were all good

It pays to check all your stuff on a regular basis

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags
18 REPLIES 18

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
markchengr wrote:
These are the ones that work. Been using them professionaly for years.

https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-35585-Extractor-4-inch-2-inch/dp/B000WQYJIG/ref=sr_1_51?dchild=1&keywords=bolt+extractor+set&qid=1626550122&sr=8-51

Think I need one of these, a couple of the super long lag bolts I was using on one side of merry snapped their heads off as I was tightening them down.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

87WW_Alpine10
Explorer
Explorer
I realize, even tho I am new to the RV world, that maintenance is crucial, and also a PITA. That being said: as I am remodeling my 1987 Alpine 10, I exclaim to the wife: "If we seal this thing well, and maybe every other season, depending..., go through, in the off season, and take a couple windows a day, and re-seal them...its not that much of a task". Am I wrong, in that..., each window, two people working, will take aprox. 1 hour to remove and re-seal?? Also....do the same with seams and jacks, and outside and roof ports.

Its still a PITA...but will alleviate bigger headaches on the road.

-e

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
JoeChiOhki wrote:
Buzzcut, just so you know, those FB links do expire, so the images sadly no longer work

Linked to somewhere else now
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buzzcut, just so you know, those FB links do expire, so the images sadly no longer work
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Om my camper they only caulked the perimeter of the mounting plate but, not the bolts. That way water has a place to go. Isn't that wonderful? :E

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
clicky

https://tinyurl.com/vzn28v44

markchengr
Explorer
Explorer
These are the ones that work. Been using them professionaly for years.

https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-35585-Extractor-4-inch-2-inch/dp/B000WQYJIG/ref=sr_1_51?dchild=1&keywords=bolt+extractor+set&qid=1626550122&sr=8-51

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Supercharged111 wrote:
I just weld a nut to the broken bolt and spin it out if I can't grab it with pliers.

I have done that when the bolt was broke flush or above. But broke off down in the hole does not work.

Supercharged111
Explorer
Explorer
I just weld a nut to the broken bolt and spin it out if I can't grab it with pliers.
2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reality Check wrote:
thomas201 wrote:
"Easy Out" multiple big lies, it ain't easy and it might not come out. I wish I was smart enough to make something better. A left hand bit and running the drill in reverse sometimes works, sometimes drill it all out then tap a new hole.

You did the most miserable job of them all. Good catch!

This ^^^ most miserable tools with almost zero reasonable alternatives. You'll be a popular and wealthy hero if you figure out something better!

Buzzcut, nice job noticing the loose ones.

Over the years I have decided the best place the start is a left-handed drill. Many times this alone will back the bolt out. And if it doesn't, most methods require a hole, so nothing is lost.
1 night I discovered most of the transmission/bellhousing bolts broken. The only way to get a drill to them would be remove that 13sp trans. Out of desperation I grabbed some welding rods too short to use. With a good ground, the short clamped tight, I would stick the rod down hole to bolt. Had helper turn on welder, the I would pull the rod out until arc, stick. Pliers on the rod to unscrew, a tap to clean any slag out of threads, new bolts with Lock-Tite, discuss with driver about how he didn't notice the clutch pedal was funky.

Supercharged111
Explorer
Explorer
Hooray for sloppy craftsmanship! Guess I'll give mine a good once over too now.
2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Reality Check wrote:
thomas201 wrote:
"Easy Out" multiple big lies, it ain't easy and it might not come out. I wish I was smart enough to make something better. A left hand bit and running the drill in reverse sometimes works, sometimes drill it all out then tap a new hole.

This ^^^ most miserable tools with almost zero reasonable alternatives. You'll be a popular and wealthy hero if you figure out something better!

It's the Fire Fighter/Medic in me. We are trained to spot things that don't match with everything else

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
thomas201 wrote:

'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer