cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator

Hewshal_53
Explorer
Explorer
I have considered buying a generator for my 19 Foot Premier Bullet. I will be going to the national parks, so it needs to be quiet. Anyone have suggestions I have a 30 Amp supply.
41 REPLIES 41

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was camping in with the tenting crowd a few weeks ago. A couple of travel trailers mixed in and the guy next to me idled his Honda 2000 6+ hours a day. Very annoying. Quarter mile away was the hookup sites... why can't he park there?

TexasChaps
Explorer
Explorer
Marauderer wrote:
I have a Puma TT and need 30A service. I bought the Honda 3000w generator. Pricey but our neighbors really appreciate it and I don't like to be a burden and bother anyone. The only shortcoming is weight. It is heavy and it is all the wife and I can do to get it in/out of the truck. Most of the time I can get help from another camper but, there are times that we can't. Some of my friends have two of the Honda 2000w generators that they run in parallel and it is a lot easier to move them around individually than the one 3000w unit.

I have an old Boliy 3600 unit, it's a Yamaha clone, but it's only 75lbs.. easy for me to move.

schoonod
Explorer
Explorer
My Honda 2000 works without problems for any general use. If I want the AC, then I need to link 2 generators for enough power. I agree to check the park out ahead of time for generator use -- I'm looking at installing solar panels to help me in parks I want to go that say no generator use is allowed.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Home Depot has these for $999...

Is that an "Open Frame" model that everyone hates?

"EG2800i operates between 61 to 69 dB (A)"

So, at 2800 watts it is about the same loudness as the much hated open frame Champion 3500/4000 which can be purchased for 1/3 the price.

Nice unit.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Home Depot has these for $999...

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
Sorry, I am not familiar with all the Champions. It was yellow, I could read Champ and I could see a 3, and it was noisy. It was on the back of a fiver and some bikes were by it. Really don't care what brand it was, just happened to notice.

I understand. Sort of like saying, " All Ford's are no good because my Uncle had one that backed over Aunt Mary". Come to think of it, it was yellow too. In fact, it might have been a Chevy. Mary never knew the difference.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
Yep, nothing like listening to one of those Champion 3500's drowning out the crickets and other pesky critters in the woods. And the owner misses it all while relaxing in the AC with the TV going.
Last trip to Carolina Beach State Park, we had to listen to the **** thing until 11pm for 2 nights run at full throttle. We weren't even on the same loop and we weren't alone in our annoyance.

Yep, within this forum I will always attempt to give my opinion that there may be more alternatives than just starting a generator. I also see on here that many people don't care about the noise and using the generator is an easy way to charge the batteries and watch TV.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
Yep, nothing like listening to one of those Champion 3500's drowning out the crickets and other pesky critters in the woods. And the owner misses it all while relaxing in the AC with the TV going.
Last trip to Carolina Beach State Park, we had to listen to the **** thing until 11pm for 2 nights run at full throttle. We weren't even on the same loop and we weren't alone in our annoyance.

Who said anything about the 3500 model? Or is that just an automatic reaction to the word Champion? They make many models with some as quiet as "our" beloved Hondas.

Sorry, I am not familiar with all the Champions. It was yellow, I could read Champ and I could see a 3, and it was noisy. It was on the back of a fiver and some bikes were by it. Really don't care what brand it was, just happened to notice.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:

Who said anything about the 3500 model? Or is that just an automatic reaction to the word Champion? They make many models with some as quiet as "our" beloved Hondas.
They like to compare apples to donuts but for some reason don't like to compare dollars to sense.

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
3100 champion. Had ours for three years with no issues. Replaced our old 3000 Honda and never looked back except to count the money I saved. Comparing the two minus price very little difference in performance and noise.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Honda EU2000i
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Marauderer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Puma TT and need 30A service. I bought the Honda 3000w generator. Pricey but our neighbors really appreciate it and I don't like to be a burden and bother anyone. The only shortcoming is weight. It is heavy and it is all the wife and I can do to get it in/out of the truck. Most of the time I can get help from another camper but, there are times that we can't. Some of my friends have two of the Honda 2000w generators that they run in parallel and it is a lot easier to move them around individually than the one 3000w unit.
Barry:B
USN (Ret.)
20 GD Reflection 337RLS
07 GMC Sierra D/A CCSB, to many mods, Anderson Ultimate with B&W rollover ball gooseneck hitch, Torque Lift Stairs, 20 ft Flag Poll
15 Grand Cherokee Limited EcoDiesel
"Red" the little Bear Dog
12 Yanmar Sc2450

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
TomG2,

That is why my generator has remote electric start. I can leave it ready to run and turn it on for any long term heavy loads.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Need about 300 watts of solar generator. If you want air conditioning 24/7 look for hookups.

Good advice. Like my buddy Andy told our friend Neal. "You want a generator? That is the dumbest thing I ever heard". Of course we have the option of traveling north and up when the weather turns hot. I realize not everyone does. The idea of running a generator twenty four hours a day is not my idea of fun.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote: