cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator storage for travel trailer

nmhuntr
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a toy hauler and roll my honda 3000 up in the back and strap it down. Real easy and no heavy lifting. I am looking at selling it and getting a TT. Where do you put your Generator? I don’t want to have to get a ramp and put it in the back of my truck so I am looking into options. Can a mount be made/welded to the back frame and set it there?

Any ideas/pictures are appreciated

Greg
2005 Fleetwood Pioneer ASV 180FK
2018 Ford F-150 3.5 EB 3.55s
20 REPLIES 20

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
How about adding a hand winch to the bed of the truck and use that to lift the generator into it !

I've seen some home built ones that go into the Stake Pocket on the truck. The generator is not that heavy something like that would lift it and also swing it around into the bed of the truck. Then pull the winch out of the stake pocket and throw that into the back of the truck too.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
A slide out bed tray in the truck bed might be overkill, but would work.

I carry mine in the truck bed. No slide.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer

The $189 rack that puts the gen over the propane tanks is not a bad price after all the work it took to custom build mine, but I like having the gen at the front of the truck, on the front receiver hitch, so it is as far away from my sleep as possible.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
TurnThePage wrote:
Y'all that want to put a 100+ pound generator 5 or 6 feet off the ground,

Where would a generator be stored that it would need to be 5 or 6 feet off the ground?
Two of the three posts before the one of mine that you quoted referenced the Stromberg-Carlson tongue storage tray, which puts the gen above the propane tanks. For my trailer that's about 5' off of level ground, and much more in certain circumstances. I might still consider it at some point, mostly because my generator came with wireless start.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes I have always had an inverter for instant power so the generator can wait until needed.

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
My 3000 watt Yamaha rides on the luggage tray on the back. However, I welded reinforcing steel on the sides of the tray and added two additional supports that bolt to the bumper next to the frame and then supports the tray at the front and rear so that there isn't any bounce and also adds 400# capacity to the tray. The generator is secured to the tray with two ratchet straps and a locking cable and I made up a short cable to go from the genny to the trailer power connection. I'm real happy with the setup. It's very secure, easy to maintain and works great.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

nmhuntr
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Last I checked Hondas in good condition sold for a fairly high price on ebay. Don't give it away.

Thanks
I really like it. I camp/hunt in the winter with it and it sure is nice when it is cold out to just hit that remote start and get the coffee going. If I have to swap over it will be hard to get use to. My back just wont stand lifting much into the truck.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last I checked Hondas in good condition sold for a fairly high price on ebay. Don't give it away.

nmhuntr
Explorer
Explorer
I hate to give up my EU3000. It is quiet and I have remote start on it.

I see they make an adjustable bolt on or weld on rear hitch. That with the lock and load may be my best bet if I want to keep what I have. Otherwise I will go with 2ea 2000 and slave them.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
I recommend a smaller generator that you can just lift. Honda 2200 would be a good choice. If you need to run the A/C get a Micro-Air start kit if needed.

Ditto.
Or add a second EU2200 and use them both to run the A/C reliably. Only use one for small loads / battery charging.
Lock them up under a hard truck bed cover / tonneau cover or topper (canopy, or whatever they are called in your region)

Or buy a travel trailer with on onboard genny. Outdoors RV Backcountry Series has gennys.

I came very close to buying this one. Video Tour:Outdoors RV 24KRS

I'm pretty partial to Nash / Arctic Fox / Outdoors RV because they build their frames in house instead of using junk from Lippert.

Video tour of the ORV Factory
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
TurnThePage wrote:
Y'all that want to put a 100+ pound generator 5 or 6 feet off the ground,

Where would a generator be stored that it would need to be 5 or 6 feet off the ground?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recommend a smaller generator that you can just lift. Honda 2200 would be a good choice. If you need to run the A/C get a Micro-Air start kit if needed.

I went very small 700 watts propane just to charge the battery if the solar proves inadequate. It sits in the dinette bench seat storage.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Y'all that want to put a 100+ pound generator 5 or 6 feet off the ground, let me know how you intend to get it up there, down from there, refill the fuel, and just how quiet it is while running. I actually installed that tray with the same thoughts, then realized it's probably not the greatest idea. It's a high flying advertisement to thieves too.

I think I would rather hang the generator off the back, where it sits much lower and easier to refuel and service in general. Currently, like many others, I just leave the gen in the back of the truck.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Back of a TT is a bad idea IMO. Over the propane tanks is better. Solid rack necessary. Back of the truck is best option.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad