cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator / Invertor

Sanddragger
Explorer
Explorer
We put the Predator generator to the test this weekend. We purchased the 2000 watt and we were very disappointed in it's ability to power anything. We were able to get a pot of coffee and that was it. (it took every ounce of power). We will be returning and upgrading to a larger unit. Generator however fired right up and ran great, just not enough output.
Mike
25 REPLIES 25

Sanddragger
Explorer
Explorer
Returned the 2k generator last night for the 3500. Doing some break-in now. I was impressed with Harbor Freight's return policy. Not 1 ounce of questioning. I cannot believe how quiet this generator is. Hopefully we will get the performance we need.

Thanks for the replies!

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
The bigger the generator the more it weighs.

I borrowed a 3KW construction sight unit and it powered everything; if you could stand the noise and muscle it into a decent location.

I am old so weigh and noise are my prime concerns. If the microwave has to wait until the coffee is done, so be it.

If I really needed a lot of power I would spend the bucks for the lighter quieter unit.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
Sanddragger wrote:
We put the Predator generator to the test this weekend. We purchased the 2000 watt and we were very disappointed in it's ability to power anything. We were able to get a pot of coffee and that was it. (it took every ounce of power). We will be returning and upgrading to a larger unit. Generator however fired right up and ran great, just not enough output.
Mike

Mike just curious has Harbor Freight let you exchange the 2000 for the 3500? Or will they just take it back and refund you your money? Just curious a lot of places once you put fuel in it it is yours.
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
We have an inverter/charger on out 5er. All the electrical - except the water heater and AC's are run off it. I have power for (almost) everything all the time (off the batteries). I find a 2000 watt generator works well for charging the batteries, and I can program with a few buttons the input of my I/C to 10 or 15 amps, if the load is more then that, it will switch to inverter off the generator and run the load, switching back to the generator when it is done. I run the coffee pot, microwave, toaster, and lighting all off an old Costco 2000 generator. Within the limits of my battery bank, I can do all of that without the generator as well, but the batteries don't last long with a 200-300 amp load. The 2000 will burn less fuel then the 3500 at very small loads, run it close to rated power, and the larger generator at 1/2 load usually burns less fuel.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another happy Predator 3500 here. Love that it's idle quiet unless it's being pushed to above 1200-1500 watts and even at full load, very reasonable. Used it run my AC this weekend while I was out there working and ran like a champ. Very happy with my purchase decision.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

Ride_S40T
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto. Have a 2000w Champ inverter, barely runs a few items. Won't run a lot of things without the home made jumper plug to settle the floating ground.

Also have the 3400w Champ inverter. It runs everything fine (15,000 BTU AC) and barely groans.
2021 Grand Design 268BH
2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500 SRW
Traveling K9s Diesel and Roger

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Even elevation will steal some of those few watts the genny makes. My Honda 2000i had the same limitations.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
George3037 wrote:
I use the Predator 3500 and it runs the entire TT including AC and microwave, lights, fridge etc. Very happy so far.

Compared to the pricey Honda, the Pred is a bargain.

If someone gave me a Honda, I'd use it but in as much as I'm paying for a genny, I'll take a Pred or a Champion.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Predator 3500 and it runs the entire TT including AC and microwave, lights, fridge etc. Very happy so far.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Your coffee maker draws 1500 watts. The Pred is 2000 watts peak, 1850 running. No wonder you were not happy. You had nothing left. Get the bigger one.

Me, I use the propane stove and a coffee pot.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
Well 2000 Watts isn't much power at all. Great for running lights,the fridge, furnace, Micro, and water pump. Forget the AC and other things with only 2000 watts
Heck I think my wife's hair dryer is 1800 watts alone.

People really rave about the 3500 watt predator. Maybe give that one a try and you should be able to run the AC no problem with it.
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K