cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

General towing guestion - newbie

Aftertheloop
Explorer
Explorer
We plan to buy our first TT in the coming months. It will probably be something in the 8,000 pound (loaded) range. Iโ€™m thinking we would like to use a large SUV to tow but from my observations it seems most people have trucks. Should we consider a SUV or is a truck really the way to go? We are experienced travelers having spent the last year on a boat, and will probably be out 4-6 weeks at a time.
29 REPLIES 29

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You got a lot of responses. Realize that most on here are ultra conservative numbers crunchers.
NOW, with your perceived lack of experience towing, an HD pickup is a more conservative and capable option and may be preferable based on where you're going and duty cycle on the truck.
However, most newer 1/2 ton SUVs can be configured to tow a 4ton trailer safely and effectively.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

lewisr
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™d look at an F150 Super Crew with an ecoboost. Properly equipped it will handle an 8k lb trailer fairly easily.
'14 F-150 Super Crew 3.5EB 3.73
'19 Heritage Glen 282RK

Aftertheloop
Explorer
Explorer
Great summary. Thanks!

pullin2
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

I haven't verified but it's coil springs (all models have shocks) but I thought it was only the last 2-4yrs before that they were the same leaf springs.

My Ram 2500 has coil springs. When we test drove the other brands, the ride was noticeably better with coils (imo). If the truck will be a daily driver, the OP might consider this.

Regarding the 1/2 vs 3/4 debate, my former truck was a Ram 1500 quad cab with 5.7 hemi and tow package. My trailer is a Windjammer that CAT scales at 7960 (very close to the OP's weights). I have the unique experience of towing the same trailer, same hitch, same loads, same route back to back with the half ton and then the 2500. The difference is, literally, night and day. In both trips we went through Raton pass and stayed in Colorado springs. It is difficult to describe how much better the trip went in the 2500. The half-ton was operating at near max capacity and required constant attention to react to passing semis and winds. It was capable of the grades, but was working hard and I had to be careful with braking on the way down. The 3/4 ton was mostly indifferent to the trailer -- you could almost forget it was there. It rarely downshifted, and with the exhaust brake I (again, literally) didn't touch the brakes during any descent.
RB, JC (& a few dogs)
2017 Ram CC LB Cummins,
35' Windjammer
30' Sea Ray
I used to tandem-tow (hence my username), but my trailers grew too big.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
afidel wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
rbpru wrote:
The truck ratings are a lot more than the suspension. That is why similar models have different factory ratings. Subtleties such a brakes, cooling, frame flex, shocks, gearing and suspension etc. all play a part.

If you are talking about moving from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton...absolutely correct other than being vaguely similar looking, they are completely different vehicles.

3/4 to 1 ton SRW...for most used models, it really is just the rear springs.

The one big exception to the 3/4 vs 1 ton is RAM, the 2500 has used rear shocks for many years while the 3500 was/is traditional leaf springs.

I haven't verified but it's coil springs (all models have shocks) but I thought it was only the last 2-4yrs before that they were the same leaf springs.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
rbpru wrote:
The truck ratings are a lot more than the suspension. That is why similar models have different factory ratings. Subtleties such a brakes, cooling, frame flex, shocks, gearing and suspension etc. all play a part.

If you are talking about moving from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton...absolutely correct other than being vaguely similar looking, they are completely different vehicles.

The one big exception to the 3/4 vs 1 ton is RAM, the 2500 has used rear shocks for many years while the 3500 was/is traditional leaf springs.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Aftertheloop wrote:
Great information. Thanks!

So what type trucks should I be looking at?
Def. a 3/4 ton truck if new/newer. I would suggest avoiding 4WD. Takes away otherwise available payload, more maintenance and they're 5-6" higher off the ground which is a nuisance IMO (esp. when getting camping stuff in & out all the time). I'd also suggest a good rear end ratio for towing. I love our 4.1 but gas mileage suffers somewhat.

anw7405
Explorer
Explorer
Do you "need" a SUV with 3 rows or do you just "want" 3 rows? If you don't need 3 rows of seats any 2500 or 250 truck out there will do just fine and will be MUCH easier to find. If you need 3 rows for kids you are pretty much limited to the excursion or the suburban 2500. These SUV's are pretty hard to find and will have some years and miles on them. That being said the Excursion (V10, 6.o bullet diesel, 7.3 diesel) and the Suburban (00-06 8.1, 08-13 6.0) are very capable SUV's and can handle big TT's.
My current setup is a 05 yukon xl 2500 8.1 towing a 9-10k loaded 37' TT and it pulls it like a boss.

davehultin
Explorer
Explorer
When we moved up to a trailer in that weight range, we followed by getting a 2010 Expedition with tow package. We wanted three rows of seats to haul the kids and the camper, it's been a very good combination for us.

Dave Hultin
----------
2019 Ford Expedition Max, 2018 Gulfstream Cabin Cruiser 28BBS

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
rbpru wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hornnumb2 wrote:
2edgesword wrote:
Aftertheloop wrote:

Some of the newer 1/2 ton trucks (F-150, Silverado 1500, Ram 1500) can handle this load. In addition older 3/4 ton trucks (F-250, Silverado 2500, Ram 2500) can easily handle these loads.

We just recently got a new 8,800 lb trailer (gross vehicle weight rating) and I knew I couldn't pull it with my older 1/2 ton truck (2007 Silverado 1500 4.8L). I didn't want to get into a $40K ~ $50K loan at this stage (two years away from retirement) on a newer model 1/2 ton truck so we went with an older 2012 F-250 6.2L gas. It has a maximum tow rating of 12,500 lbs and maximum payload of 4,000 lbs so it easily pulls the trailer even if my wife should load it to the 8,800 lb max.

Some of the newer 1/2 ton trucks with max towing packages rival the towing capacity of older 3/4 ton trucks (2018 F-150 3.5L ~2,800 lb payload and ~13,000 lb towing).

Wow that must be one big F250 to have a 4000lb payload rating!

Actually it's the smallest F250, 4x2 regular cab with the 142" wheelbase. With the F350 SRW it's going to depend on which tires you get but the highest payload is still a 142" regular cab, just there it's a 4x4 because they don't put the 20" high capacity tires on the 4x2 (and it's not that much higher than than the F250, 4,500 vs 3,866)
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
2edgesword wrote:
Aftertheloop wrote:

Some of the newer 1/2 ton trucks (F-150, Silverado 1500, Ram 1500) can handle this load. In addition older 3/4 ton trucks (F-250, Silverado 2500, Ram 2500) can easily handle these loads.

We just recently got a new 8,800 lb trailer (gross vehicle weight rating) and I knew I couldn't pull it with my older 1/2 ton truck (2007 Silverado 1500 4.8L). I didn't want to get into a $40K ~ $50K loan at this stage (two years away from retirement) on a newer model 1/2 ton truck so we went with an older 2012 F-250 6.2L gas. It has a maximum tow rating of 12,500 lbs and maximum payload of 4,000 lbs so it easily pulls the trailer even if my wife should load it to the 8,800 lb max.

Some of the newer 1/2 ton trucks with max towing packages rival the towing capacity of older 3/4 ton trucks (2018 F-150 3.5L ~2,800 lb payload and ~13,000 lb towing).

Wow that must be one big F250 to have a 4000lb payload rating!

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer is 8,200 lbs loaded. I've scaled it at pretty close to that. I have the max trailering package for my GMC Sierra and it works fine, even in the mountains. But this setup has a payload of 2015 lbs and I am right at the limit in my opinion. There won't be a current SUV that does this.
If you want gas, a 2500 will work fine. If you go diesel, check the payload as some 2500 diesels don't have much more payload then I have. If I was going diesel I would go 1 ton.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer

The bottom line is, the truck maker tells you what they designed the vehicle to do, how you choose to use or modify it up to you.

There is nothing illegal about exceeding the factories recommended limits; there are laws about unsafe vehicles.

Take care,
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.