Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Garmin Basecamp Problems

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning fellow truck campers.
I recently purchased the Garmin RV 890, I really like it. I have always purchased a Garmin gps. I have been learning Basecamp, I like it.
I can pick my own route and then export it to the RV890. When I open Basecamp and connect the gps to my laptop, Basecamp opens a small window, "Problem connecting to the device, error code, garmin/gpx/ current.gpx. I googled the error code and Garmin gives steps to delete the issue. I follow the step and deleted the corrupt current gpx file.
Then I start to mark my route, by placing waypoints, but somewhere on the route Basecamp does not follow the route that I have marked and willy nilly goes where it wants but will come back to the last waypoint that I had put on the map. Well I don't want to wander all over the countryside., I want to go down the roads I picked. I have called Gamin numerous times. The last time the guy said I see you have called before, Yes, because the issue has not been solved. And he kinda talked to me as if I was a waste of his time. UUUMMMM I was really looking forward to using Basecamp to explore.
Hope I explained this clearly. Has anyone who uses Basecamp had this issue?
Does anyone know of a alternative program that I can use instead Basecamp, Or a different gps device to replace the RV890.
Any input will be appreciated.
Brenda and Bill
2020 Lance 1172, our traveling rig
2013 Heartland Landmark Mesa, 40', fifth wheel, we keep at our snowbird home in central FL, Bushnell, FL.
2014 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, CC, 4x4, LB, duals, DuraMax
22 REPLIES 22

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
woodworker414 wrote:
dsteinman

Basecamp does not follow the route that I made with waypoints. At times it will just go wandering around the countryside and finally get back to the last waypoint that had placed.

There are two possible causes for that; 1) you have not optimized the route with a specific end point and start point.
2) you have specified a vehicle such as truck, bicycle, RV when you should have it set to car.

"Tracks" are not the same as "Routes" and will produce different results for downloading.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
dsteinman
Thank you for the reply.
I used to do that, but now Basecamp does not follow the route that I made with waypoints. At times it will just go wandering around the countryside and finally get back to the last waypoint that had placed.
Can't have that going on. I am using the latest map, and have uninstalled and installed Basecamp and it still does the wandering around.
Now viewing videos of RV Trip Wizard to learn more about it.
Brenda and Bill
2013 Heartland Landmark Mesa, 40', fifth wheel, we keep at our snowbird home in central FL, Bushnell, FL.

dsteinman
Explorer
Explorer
woodworker414 wrote:
Thank you for the reply. When you are creating a route, using waypoints, are you creating the route on the RV 890 or on Basecamp?
I have very serious vision issue. I can not help in navigation when on the road. I can set up a route on the laptop and export it to the gps, because I use a reading aide device . I have looked at RV Trip Wizard, but have not really explored it. I really want to be able to export the created route to the gps.
I will have to explore RV Trip Wizard more to see if a created route can be exported to the gps.

I will download waypoints, that I have created in Basecamp, to the RV890. Then I let the RV890 create the route.

David
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
fpoole
Thank you for the reply. Again RV Trip Wizard is mentioned. So I guess I better take a real good look at it.
Brenda and Bill

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Ms. Garmin, heheh, my arch nemesis.. will drop me out in the middle of nowhere without batting an eye, LOL..

So, I tried Base Camp at various times for hiking and camper nav, never had any luck with it. It would mark the waypoints and then scatter... user error I'm sure, but it wasn't as simple as everyone said it was, well for me anyway.

So, learned about RV Trip Wizard as noted above, works great and I believe will create the .gpx files to load. My Ms Garmin is an older unit and I tried several times but didn't work out.

Trip Wiz works like a charm and I just put in the days final and then add stops if Ms Garmin doesn't route the way I want...

Over all it works well, hope that helps a little...
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
I download maps to my Garmin Nuvi from Basecamp all the time.
But I don't use Trip Planner.

See if this works:
Create a list, pick your locations (keep it simple with just 3 or 4 points, add each one to the list.
Your waypoints will be listed in the bottom left window pane.

Select all of your waypoints so that they are highligted.
Right click on them. Then select "Create Route using selected waypoints."

You'll see your route created at the bottom of the list of selected waypoints.
Right click on you're route. Select "open".

A new window opens showing your waypoints. Drag the last stop to the bottom of the list and then select "Optimize"
Exit that window and your route is now ready to download to the Garmin.

Also, you need to check the "options" under the "Edit" menu and make sure that you have appropriate "Activity Profile" selected.

This is a rather brief explanation but I hope it helps.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
dsteinman
Thank you for the reply. When you are creating a route, using waypoints, are you creating the route on the RV 890 or on Basecamp?
I have very serious vision issue. I can not help in navigation when on the road. I can set up a route on the laptop and export it to the gps, because I use a reading aide device . I have looked at RV Trip Wizard, but have not really explored it. I really want to be able to export the created route to the gps.
I will have to explore RV Trip Wizard more to see if a created route can be exported to the gps.
Brenda and Bill

dsteinman
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if you are using the Trip Planner or not, since I don't. But, I select waypoint and add them to a trip that I have created. These are on the left side on the screen. When you select them to create a trip, you have to select them in the order that you want for the trip.

I also have the RV890 and like it, so I wouldn't change it.

Lately, I have been using RV Trip Wizard for planning trips, since I had always used RV Park Reviews to find RV parks. I have not tried uploading or saving the file for the GPS.

David
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited