cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Furrion 12 Volt Refrigerator Issues

bogie514
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2021 Grand Design Transcend 240ML with the Furrion 12 volt, 8 cubic foot, refrigerator and solar panel. This morning the refrigerator temperature was 43 degrees; the lowest temperature recorded was 39 degrees. When the compressor and fan run, it is annoyingly loud. The refrigerator was nearly full and had been running for 2 days. All temperatures were measured using a remote wireless sensor without opening and closing the door. In looking at the specs, Furrion lists the normal operating range as 32 to 50 degrees in the refrigerator compartment (https://furrion.com/products/8-cu-ft-furrion-arctic%C2%AE-12-volt-built-in-refrigerator). I understand that I should have done more research before I purchased this unit. It is reasonable to expect a refrigerator to operate within all food safety guidelines for refrigerators - that is that the maximum temperature be 40 degrees.

On edit: We are in central Ohio where the temperature over the past few days has not been above the low 60's and the internal temperature of the camper has not been over 73 degrees. The refrigerator was set to its lowest (Maximum cool) position.

What are your experiences with 12 volt refrigerrators?
2021 Grand Design Transcend 240ML
2017 GMC Sierra 1500, 4wd, 5.3L, Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Heavy Duty Tow Package
Equil-I-zer hitch
8 REPLIES 8

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
I know it's not the right answer, but I avoid anything made by Furion.

bogie514
Explorer
Explorer
Would the battery voltage change if I am connected to shore power?
Equil-I-zer hitch

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did the battery voltage drop? That’s where I would start first.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure if the compressor fridges use the same type of thermistor as the 2 ways, but if they do it's worth trying to unplug it from the control board. On the 2 ways that puts it on emergency mode where it just goes full throttle on the heat for the exchanger. That got mine plenty cold so I ordered a replacement thermistor which should hopefully get me back to normal 32-40 temps.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Thx for posting this Bogie. The notion of a fridge co. claiming 50 degrees is acceptable is preposterous and will keep me from buying one of their units. It also teaches me that I'd better go through any co's literature very closely before buying.

bogie514
Explorer
Explorer
I'll check the batteries - I would hope that they are ok, it's been less than 6 weeks since they were installed. I'll check the dates on them as well.

I didn't put a temp sensor in the freezer. The ice cubes and ice cream are frozen solid.
Equil-I-zer hitch

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
What was the freezer temp? Loud compressor noise could me the fridge is not level enough. Just because the trailer is level doesn't mean the fridge is. GD may have not installed it properly.
Make sure nothing is touching the thermister.
As mentioned make sure you 12V batt is good. I think there's a minimum voltage required.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
might double check your 12v supply.