cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Full body paint

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for my next trailer. Came across one I like with the option for full body paint.

It isn't cheap.
Pros and cons welcome.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW
44 REPLIES 44

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
20 yrs ago I redid a Shasta (aluminum) and had the roof foamed One of the smartest things I ever did no more black lines and no roof leaks

WTP-GC wrote:
"Full Body Paint"
I clicked on this thread hoping to see pictures of someone's trip to Key West or Mardis Gras.
Imagine my disappointment when I started reading ๐Ÿ˜ž

here you go - ( keeping it rated PG ))

and on a break to the Keys -

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
"Full Body Paint"
I clicked on this thread hoping to see pictures of someone's trip to Key West or Mardis Gras.
Imagine my disappointment when I started reading ๐Ÿ˜ž
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
djousma wrote:
Wow, a lot of haters here. I have the FBP on my Cardinal. FR does farm it out, and its painted and clear coated before all the windows, trim, outside accessories are installed, and before any of the caulking is done. Mine did have some bad swirl marks, and it went back to the factory, who sent it over to the outsourced paint shop to redo it. No black streaks, no decals to crack and fade are all the reasons I went with the option. It is a $10K option, but the entire unit was over 30% off MSRP when I ordered it.

Nothing about hating anything. Cardinal must be the exception rather than the rule over at Forest River. Look at their class C motorhomes such as a Forester, or a class A Georgetown.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
i'm thinking about doing my 10 year old Fleetwood. its in like new condition but I like the glossy look. I've been in the auto restoration business and painting for about 40 years. my boy also is in the business, so I think we are going to do it. we're going to paint the graphics back on, probably like the oem ones unless my boy comes up with something i have to have which he usually does.it will all be base coat with clear.
Jay D.

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
I would think FBP would be a nice option if you could get it in white. I can't see a functional advantage to having a mostly black trailer in Arizona. Interior heat gain would be noticeable.

Add in the 3rd A/C ๐Ÿ˜‰
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wish our 2013 had paint on front cap. The fading makes it look terrible (factory defect, impacted many trailers, not just Arctic Fox).

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I would think FBP would be a nice option if you could get it in white. I can't see a functional advantage to having a mostly black trailer in Arizona. Interior heat gain would be noticeable.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
If I had to do it over again I would get the decal delete option. I'm OK with the base factory paint job and zero decals. The plain generic look is fine for me It's the decals that deteriorate over time and become an eye sore.
FBP is nice but I don't place a $10K value on it. I could find other ways to spend the $10K.
While I appreciate a nice looking rig. I don't need to spend $10K for the deluxe look. Simply isn't worth it to me. The paint job does not change the ability of the rig at all. I can see spending the 10K on other options that provide additional function,but not on paint. I buy my rigs to use them not to admire them as though they were a work of art.
I do understand there are those that are willing to pay for the aesthetics, It's just not for me.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, a lot of haters here. I have the FBP on my Cardinal. FR does farm it out, and its painted and clear coated before all the windows, trim, outside accessories are installed, and before any of the caulking is done. Mine did have some bad swirl marks, and it went back to the factory, who sent it over to the outsourced paint shop to redo it. No black streaks, no decals to crack and fade are all the reasons I went with the option. It is a $10K option, but the entire unit was over 30% off MSRP when I ordered it.

My previous TT was the corrugated aluminum siding, and over the 15 years I owned it, it became heavily oxidized, and all the decals either cracked and started to peel, or I had already removed because of how bad they looked. No amount of polishing could keep it looking nice, and believe me, the first 12 years of ownership, I really worked at it.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:

I wish it only cost 60K

then you could have bought that $10,000 worth of bitcoins and in a year buy a prevost for cash.

but you must agree that we who pay cash for these toys are in the vast minority. I would guess that 70% or more are financed.
bumpy

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You may wish to shop around for body shops in your area that would take on this job. Since the trailer will be new, there won't be extensive prep work to fix surface irregularities.

FWIW, I painted my trailer with an airless sprayer. It is aluminum sided. The paint is pretty much just like the day I painted it, six years ago. I didn't have any decals, just accent stripes. If you wish to have an automotive style paint job, the pros use HVLP guns and will get it right.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
RinconVTR wrote:
For any unit over 50k I'd definitely pay the extra 10k for full body paint.

You'll get it back in resale when the unit still looks practically brand new.

calculate out what that $10,000 paint job will cost when you finance it over 7-12 years. I'd spend the 60 K on an upgraded unit myself.
bumpy
NOT financing. Same as my previous TTs.

Actually I did finance thru my CU on the last one just to get it home. Since I bought 2500 miles from home, having the CU take care of everything with the dealer made sure that it would go smooth. They handled everything, the sales tax differences between states, the tags etc. I highly recommend this method. I paid off the loan as soon as I got home.
I wish it only cost 60K

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
RinconVTR wrote:
For any unit over 50k I'd definitely pay the extra 10k for full body paint.

You'll get it back in resale when the unit still looks practically brand new.

calculate out what that $10,000 paint job will cost when you finance it over 7-12 years. I'd spend the 60 K on an upgraded unit myself.
bumpy