cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fuel tank size.

Flashman
Explorer
Explorer
My fuel light came on in my new Ram 3500. I was near a diesel station so I filled it up - could only get 25 gallons in! It is a 31 gallon tank. Does this mean I have a 6 gallon reserve after the fuel light comes on?
19 REPLIES 19

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
SweetLou wrote:
rjxj wrote:
Carry 5 gallons extra and run it empty to see how far it goes

I am sorry but that is some really poor advice. You should never run a tank of diesel out and for many reasons. A couple that come to mind is the sludge you have at the bottom of the tank just got sucked into your very expensive injectors, and second you may have to prime a restart.

I would hope that expensive filter he has on his engine would protect those expensive injectors. That's the way mine works anyway. ๐Ÿ™‚ And a cup full of dirt in your tank is a cup full of dirt whether the tank is full or empty.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:

I am sorry but that is some really poor advice. You should never run a tank of diesel out and for many reasons. A couple that come to mind is the sludge you have at the bottom of the tank just got sucked into your very expensive injectors, and second you may have to prime a restart.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Community Alumni
Not applicable
drsteve wrote:

True. Running low also allows the pump to suck up any sediment that may be in the tank.

Full or empty, the pump is always battling sediment in the tank. The pickup location is at the bottom of the tank where the sediment rests. However, the sock prevents the sediment from being pulled into the pump. With the plastic tanks on vehicles these days, sediment really isn't a problem unless you're frequenting seedy fuel stations.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Flashman wrote:
My fuel light came on in my new Ram 3500. I was near a diesel station so I filled it up - could only get 25 gallons in! It is a 31 gallon tank. Does this mean I have a 6 gallon reserve after the fuel light comes on?

I assume you mean the point where it stops counting the miles to empty to triggering the low fuel light which is typically 40-50 miles to empty. 5-6 gallons from that point sound correct. You can run it down to zero miles to empty and then you are officially on the reserve. Not that I recommend that.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
I normally have my bladder light come on way before the diesel light does. I also have the trailer behind me with my personal rest area. so kinda works by the third call I am already looking to land for a few minutes to rearrange my rear end. This leads me to another thing I always dump my wallet into the console because my rear goes out of alignment after driving for 10 hours!
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
rottidawg wrote:
I seem to recall a warning about running your tank too low very often. With the fuel pump inside the tank it depends upon a certain amount of gas for cooling?

True. Running low also allows the pump to suck up any sediment that may be in the tank.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

rottidawg
Explorer
Explorer
I seem to recall a warning about running your tank too low very often. With the fuel pump inside the tank it depends upon a certain amount of gas for cooling?
2012 Chevy 2500HD LTZ CCSB 4x4 gas
2012 Four Wheel Camper Hawk
2008 Harley Street Glide

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
Changed my stock tank out for a 65 gallon under bed tank. My light comes on with 10 gallons in reserve. The stock tanks are just way too small... especially if you live in the country or when towing.
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
My Chevy is the same--about a six gallon reserve. It might seem excessive until you are in an area with few gas stations, or on the turnpike where fuel stops may be far apart. Sometimes advance notice is a good thing.

I don't like to go more than a couple of hours without stretching my legs anyway.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
My light comes on at 50 miles and I average 9-10mpg pulling. So my light on is around 5 galloms left...it seems to be close in my calculation
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

skidooman93
Explorer
Explorer
My Ram is the same, when the light comes on I have about 6 gallons left. The range to empty is only an estimate. For those people that like to run them out, it keeps them guessing LOL.
2015 Ram 2500 SB 6.7 Cummins, 68RFE Rear Air Suspension
2015 Ram 2500 SB 6.4 Hemi 4.10's Rear Coil Springs (Sold)
Anderson UCH
2014 Open Range 367BHS
1 wife, 1 Son, 1 Daughter, 1 Red Lab that wont come in the camper because hes a big baby, so he stays home.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
When I'm towing a heavy load I can ignore the fuel gauge. I have to fill up at every freaking service station I come to.

My old 82 Chevy 4+4 with a 454 and a Holly I used to say it'll pass anything except a gas station.

When I used to drag race it on the weekends you could literlly watch the gauge going down.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I'm towing a heavy load I can ignore the fuel gauge. I have to fill up at every freaking service station I come to.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5