Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Front cap sun cover?

gregrc75
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I am always reading posts about the front caps fading from the sun. I always wax my front cover 3-4 times a year. I was wondering if they sell just a front cap cover? Something that is easier and quicker to remove than a complete cover. I cannot seem to find something when searching. Maybe this is something I could make with a certain fabric if not available? Thanks for any input.
Greg and J
Ben - Yellow Lab. Charley - Red Lab
2018 Keystone Bullet Premier 30RIPR
2016 Nissan Titan XD SL 5.0
11 REPLIES 11

gregrc75
Explorer
Explorer
Hornnumb2 wrote:
harley4275 wrote:
That is what my neighbour had done to his . Company paid as they were paying for paint and clear on all their trailers anyways .

So are you saying that your cars paint job last forever? Its clear coated.

Iโ€™m not sure that he is saying that, but what I have learned since yesterday is there are cheaper clear coats with no UV protection and more quality examples with UV protection. Iโ€™m guessing these front caps have less quality coatings since they are fading after only a couple of years, unlike most cars.
Greg and J

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
harley4275 wrote:
That is what my neighbour had done to his . Company paid as they were paying for paint and clear on all their trailers anyways .

So are you saying that your cars paint job last forever? Its clear coated.

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

gregrc75
Explorer
Explorer
harley4275 wrote:

{Itโ€™s a brand new trailer and the finish is still glossy. I was trying to prevent an issue but maybe this is the way to go. }

Have the cap just clear coated ...you can go right over the decal too. Never fade again oe ever.

There is an RV collision/paint shop about 20 minutes from my house. I can call them and ask about cost. A simple coat or two of clear coat would prevent this? Pardon my ignorance.
Greg and J

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer

{Itโ€™s a brand new trailer and the finish is still glossy. I was trying to prevent an issue but maybe this is the way to go. }

Have the cap just clear coated ...you can go right over the decal too. Never fade again oe ever.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
wax with UV protectants, try to keep it from ever fading.

my trailer is 2013, was already faded badly when we bought it used in 2014. I have tried some different things, but am going to try wet sanding with 1000+ and 3M super rubbing compound. If that shines it up, follow up with good wax (not decided on which one yet, but leaning towards 3M products).

If it does not take care of it, we will be having it painted. I didn't buy a trailer to be waxing it all the time.

gregrc75
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
For the cost of a bra, check in with an auto or marine paint guy. If you can remove the stickers, it's a pretty simple paint job and will hold up much better.

Thanks for the tip. Itโ€™s a brand new trailer and the finish is still glossy. I was trying to prevent an issue but maybe this is the way to go.
Greg and J

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
For the cost of a bra, check in with an auto or marine paint guy. If you can remove the stickers, it's a pretty simple paint job and will hold up much better.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah this sucks mine is a 2015 and the front is faded already...

gregrc75
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comment. Maybe someone will have some insight. I tried doing a search on here also but couldnโ€™t find anything.
Greg and J

Keithk3628
Explorer
Explorer
I looked for a RV Bra also, there was a post last year and I think the consensus was they caused more damage than they helped.

There was couple suggestions to have one made by a marine or auto upholsterer but I couldn't find a manufacturer that produced them. I went with a full cover I got from Amazon and have been happy with it. It is kind of a pain to put on but My son comes over and does the high hard work, Thank You Doug.

I'm going to watch your thread and hope you find something, let us know what you find.