cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford MSRP discount

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Our Son found a left over 2019 f250 with a $70K window sticker. Dealer wants $64K. I haven't even looked at a Ford since 1990 so don't know where it should be.
28 REPLIES 28

ExxWhy
Explorer
Explorer
There is a $2000 incentive on 2020 Chevy 2500/3500 right now. Ford has a $1250 with financing offer on 19's.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Hammerboy wrote:
bid_time wrote:
Hammerboy wrote:
While mine is not a Ford but a Chevy, last October when the new 2020's were starting to show up on the lots and there was still good selection available on the 2019's, I picked up mine for $13k under the $69k sticker. I was happy with what I paid and it is almost exactly how I would have ordered it. I did travel 2 1/2 hours to the selling dealer though to find what I wanted.

I would think you could get at least that or better now that the 2020's are in full force.

Dan
How much of that $13K was incentives?

If memory serves me I think it was between $5-6K.

Dan

I stopped and looked at a 20 Chevy 2500 and the sales guy I have been buying thru since 82 told me right now on the 3/4-1 ton no incentives from Chevy.
I was just looking but I think my 2012 3500 is lookin real good. I really don't know about what our son is going to do. He is thriftier than me and this morning tried one more time to deal on that new left over 19 Ford. They wouldn't budge off 64 & TTL so in his best Attorney court room voice, told them to shove it in a very polite way.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
bid_time wrote:
Hammerboy wrote:
While mine is not a Ford but a Chevy, last October when the new 2020's were starting to show up on the lots and there was still good selection available on the 2019's, I picked up mine for $13k under the $69k sticker. I was happy with what I paid and it is almost exactly how I would have ordered it. I did travel 2 1/2 hours to the selling dealer though to find what I wanted.

I would think you could get at least that or better now that the 2020's are in full force.

Dan

If memory serves me I think it was between $5-6K.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
MitchF150 wrote:
It might not actually have been on the lot all that long? What is the build date on the door jamb?

I got my 13 F150 brand new in January 2014. The build date is 10/13 and it's a 13. Got it for $10k under sticker and felt lucky to get it!

Have no plans on selling or trading it anytime soon, so don't get all in that whole "it's a year old before you bought it".. It was maybe 3 months old from the build date... Bought my 2019 Rockwood in July of 2019 when the 2020's were already out.. Got a hell of deal on it too! Well, at least for me..

Anyway, if it's a truck you want and has the features you want and it's a price you can accept, then don't let a bunch of interweb goofs tell you otherwise... Who cares if they could have gotten it for 25% off.. You get it for what you can get it for and go from there.

Sure, low ball 'em.. All they can say is no, or they might say yes.. Dunno..

^This. Maybe the year old on the lot thing is a real consideration for folks who are sitting in front of the car salesman at the dealer every few years haggling on how much the dealer isn't going to give them on a trade in of their low mile creampuff.
But unless the "year old" vehicle doesn't have some key features that a current model year does, that are important to you or actually important on resale (6 speed vs 10 speed trans is a good example, maybe, 11 way heated seats vs 10 way heated seats is not, imo) then it's a moot point if you're keeping the vehicle a good length of time or miles.
Sure, it's a bargaining chip 'cause last years cars are discounted just like yesterdays bread. But they still perform the exact same function just as well if they don't fall into the paragraph above's good example.

So that means the difference between the model going out and the one coming in (apples to apples only) is virtually nothing once it's depreciated out.
It sat outside for a year? Who cares. If you're going to garage it and baby it, it will still be in way better condition than the one that sits out for the next 10 years. If you don't wash it and let it sit out, again, who cares, it will be degraded just like the others that weren't cared for.

Old fuel, old def, old whatever....whatever.

Having only bought 2 brand new vehicles in my lifetime (by choice), bought one in Feb of the current model year and 5 years and 140k miles later, shining like a pretty penny, it fetched way less than I'd hoped when we sold it.
Last one is a 2016 model, bought Xmas 2017, build date early 2016. Real stale bread there!
Aside from some nasty water spots that the dealer offered to remove but I declined letting them take a buffer to a brand new paint job, the car has had zero issues that could possibly be attributed to sitting on the car lot for over a year and a half. And only 1 issue in the last 2 years and the 3 year warranty has most of a year left.

$14k+ off the sticker, no haggling, was over $10k less than you could buy a new SRT8 for and about $2k more than low mile used.
AND, there were zero changes between the 16 and 18 models that I could find save for seat colors/stitching and the addition of Car Play.

Do I care that it is a '16 and not an '18? Well, if I sold it today, it would fetch a couple grand less than the newer model (not $10k), same low miles based on what I've seen. Will it be ANY different in 5, 7, 10 years from now? NOPE
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hammerboy wrote:

Dan

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
..or the OP could simply decide what the pickup is worth to him, and I'd suggest new pickups (whether Ford, Dodge, or Chevy) are vast improvements over prior generations, and offer that number for the vehicle.

If they take it, great. If they don't, then they want more for it than it's worth to the OP.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
It might not actually have been on the lot all that long? What is the build date on the door jamb?

I got my 13 F150 brand new in January 2014. The build date is 10/13 and it's a 13. Got it for $10k under sticker and felt lucky to get it!

Have no plans on selling or trading it anytime soon, so don't get all in that whole "it's a year old before you bought it".. It was maybe 3 months old from the build date... Bought my 2019 Rockwood in July of 2019 when the 2020's were already out.. Got a hell of deal on it too! Well, at least for me..

Anyway, if it's a truck you want and has the features you want and it's a price you can accept, then don't let a bunch of interweb goofs tell you otherwise... Who cares if they could have gotten it for 25% off.. You get it for what you can get it for and go from there.

Sure, low ball 'em.. All they can say is no, or they might say yes.. Dunno..

Anyway, go with your gut (or your sons gut) and go from there... The dealer ain't gonna give it away, until it's costing them more to keep it then unload it...

Good luck!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
X Plan pricing on a prior model year is awful price.

I'll renew my call that you go in on the last sales day of the month. That is the best chance for a deal. I'd support making sure they have your phone number, make them an offer of no more than 55k, and when it's rejected, walk out, no games no discussion, walk out. Do it early in the day, and actually take up some of their time with a drive, talking about the options, look it over.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
BenK wrote:
Invoice is a real piece of paper...then the various rebate, discounts, etc that the dealer receives AFTER that invoice

Those other doc's come in after...monthly, quarterly, etc depending on how well or not that dealer/dealership does.

I've never been shown anything other than that initial invoice.

Why most of my purchases of brand new are through brokers or very high volume dealerships. Or a dealer way out in the boonies

ScottG wrote:
Don't fall for the "invoice" pricing. That is not what a dealer pays in the end for a vehicle.

There's a payment made to the dealer from the manufatcurer after the vehicle has been sold. Most people don't know about that. The invoice doesn't reflect this extra money the dealer is paid! So that piece of paper is a prop for the whole show that sales dept's put on.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
Follow Bid Time's advise about X plan pricing and finding current incentives. If the dealer is honest he'll show it to you. Ford gives their dealer 3% from the MSRP so even if they sell it at "invoice" they make $1500 on a 50G truck
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Invoice is a real piece of paper...then the various rebate, discounts, etc that the dealer receives AFTER that invoice

Those other doc's come in after...monthly, quarterly, etc depending on how well or not that dealer/dealership does.

I've never been shown anything other than that initial invoice.

Why most of my purchases of brand new are through brokers or very high volume dealerships. Or a dealer way out in the boonies

ScottG wrote:
Don't fall for the "invoice" pricing. That is not what a dealer pays in the end for a vehicle.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Like I said I don't know jack about buyin fords. I have been a Chevy guy since 82 and I had a really good family ran dealer that would deal. I was thinking minimum 80% but closer to 75% of sticker. Regretfully they sold out to a big city dealership.
I think some dealers just don't believe there are those of us that can write a check for these overpriced hay haulers. My first new truck was a 1972 Dodge 1/2 ton, 318, auto, & air 2400 & change out the door. Times have changed.
I admit I did buy 2 new Ford vans in 90 ( what soured me on fords ) thru a plan my hvac OEM had going. Worst 2 trucks I ever had in my fleet. In shop constantly and had to be towed also. Employees can't make you no $ sitting on the side of the road waiting on a wrecker.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad