cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford Gas 6.2 vs 7.3

riltri
Explorer
Explorer
We no longer travel with our 13k lb 5th except back and forth to Florida from the NC mountains. I'm trading my GM diesel longbed for a gas standard bed. Probably going with a Ford F250 (although I am still considering a RAM). Not ideal for extended traveling but to make 2 pulls (4 days) per year, I'm opting for something that makes sense for day-to-day use.

Everything I've read/heard is that the 6.2 is a workhorse which should give me 250K+. I'm a bit concerned about the 7.3. Have read a couple of bad reviews and it has not been around long enough to be certain about the reliability of the motor.

Will appreciate any suggestion/comments.
Blue Ridge Mtns - NC
33 REPLIES 33

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
If you get the 10 speed transmission, the rear end ratio is not of great importance. It will just select a gear to get the same overall gear ratio. Then engine will have no idea what's happening past the crank shaft.

The only reason to go to the 4.XX rear end is if you need that last couple thousand pounds of tow rating.

I agree โ€ฆ. Get 3.55 gears if youโ€™re getting a f250. If you get an F350 SRW youโ€™ll have to get 3.73 gears. 4.30 is only of much value when you want the extra torque to start out from a stop with a heavier trailer on a hill.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

1Longbow
Explorer
Explorer
Not only the gas cap, but dipstick is extremely hard to read, and is 2 piece. not liking that at all. do like the truck and the power of the 7.3

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
mosseater wrote:
We just wont talk about the gas cap issue. (seriously, Ford????)

Gas Cap Issue?

The gas cap (yes, it has one for all those supposing otherwise)is on a plastic lanyard just like my 150 was, but this lanyard is too snug and wraps around your hand as you unscrew the cap THREE TURNS! It takes two hands to get it off and put it one. One hand to turn the cap and one to maintain the lanyard from winding around your hand. Very annoying. I agree! Why do we need a cap at all if capless fill works in so many other applications. Its ridiculous.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
mooky stinks wrote:
Canโ€™t be a gas cap issue because they donโ€™t have gas caps. Lol If that IS the issue, capless gas tanks have been around a long time and Iโ€™ve never heard of issues other than some people think theyโ€™ll get all kinds of dirt in them. Maybe the poster will break his silence. But he did say he wouldnโ€™t talk about it!

The capless filler in my 2012 F-150 occasionally doesn't seal properly and throws a CEL. The fix is to go back to the gas pump and open and close the filler several times which usually fixes the problem. This is actually quite a common issue with the early F-150's with the capless fillers.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
Canโ€™t be a gas cap issue because they donโ€™t have gas caps. Lol If that IS the issue, capless gas tanks have been around a long time and Iโ€™ve never heard of issues other than some people think theyโ€™ll get all kinds of dirt in them. Maybe the poster will break his silence. But he did say he wouldnโ€™t talk about it!
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
mosseater wrote:
We just wont talk about the gas cap issue. (seriously, Ford????)

Gas Cap Issue?

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Im very impressed with my '22 supercrew long bed with the 7.3 so far. It's actually getting better mileage than my sig pic truck as a daily driver AND towing. I got nearly 17 mpg on flat highways and 14 ave combined driving. Towing I get around 9 with 8000 lbs whereas the 5.4 was hanging around 8. The brakes are also astounding. What really makes me giggle is when I roll into the throttle. A 7500 lb truck should not move with this much effortlessness. The bottom end on this low roaring beast is absolutely bullet proof. My only complaint is the somewhat electronic feel typical of todays wonder vehicles, and the 10 speed hunts for gears occasionally. Otherwise, I could not be happier at 5000 miles in. We just wont talk about the gas cap issue. (seriously, Ford????)
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 6.2 and if I were buying new I'd get the 7.3. No matter which engine you choose go with the 10 speed. I don't like the 6 speed in bigger hills.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Easiest thing to do here is keep the Diesel and not worry about mileage, gear ratios, 6.2 vs 7.3 or any of that stuff.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

jnoflane2
Explorer
Explorer
i have a 21 7.3 in my E350 and it is so impressive. Love it.
Thanks, John

2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6237LE
w/ Ford 7.3L V8

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hate when I make a mistake: above post should have said "TorqueShift-G transmission which is a beefed up F-150 6 speed", not 10 speed. Thanks for not flaming me. Yes, as stated in the 3/15/21 Super Duty Order Guide, all 6.2 6 speed combinations, even in a 350 dually, use the -G transmission. While that's all you can get in a 250, a 6.2 in a 350 (SRW or DRW) comes with the choice of 6 speed -G or 10 speed. The 7.3 only comes with 10 speed. If I were the OP towing 13K twice a year, I would absolutely get the F-350, 10 speed, 3.73 since it is rated for about 4,000 lb. more towing than the 6.2. The 7.3 with 10 speed would likely get close to the same mileage as a 6.2 6 speed (and there are reports as such on line.)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^I remember that the F250s went to the lighter duty 6 speed trans. Now the 350s as well? Thatโ€™s a turn off for getting the 6.2 even if one doesnโ€™t โ€œneedโ€ the 7.3.
Iโ€™d get the big motor anyway. Still waiting to hear someone say, in ernest, man I wish I had less power!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
For exact axle availability download the Ford Super Duty Order Guide and Tow Ratings. As I read it the 3.55 axle is available only in an F-250 7.3 10 speed. All other gas engine combinations are 3.73/4.30. In an F-350 the 6.2 is available with 6 or 10 speed, but in the F-250, only the 6 speed is offered. Also, noteworthy is that the all the 6 speed combinations are the TorqueShift-G transmission which is a beefed up F-150 10 speed; not the 6R140 used behind the larger engines in earlier years. If it were my money I would definitely get the 7.3 (only comes with a 10 speed) with its great, flat, torque curve and a 3.73 axle (tow rating of 16,000 lb.) in an F-350 (for a VIN sticker and springs rated for the higher weight.)

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Other than being thirsty I like my 2021 F350/6.2/10 speed towing 16,000+ locally. Add 1.5โ€ blocks to the helper spring so they contact sooner reducing the squat.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...